Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by Brian C in Az; 10-11-2017 at 09:43 PM. Reason: reposted
Old 10-11-2017, 09:42 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Originally Posted by facelvega
PCA actually made an excellent video detailing the exact procedure used to secure placement in the advanced run group. Follow the steps laid out in this informative clip, and you will be sure to have a great DE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8
One of my favorite videos.

I think I know who this guy is:

Old 10-11-2017, 09:56 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Originally Posted by Texas RS
COTA prefers 3 days rentals and there is no price break for Friday, as a result there is only a 3 day option.

We are working on options for future events ...
You could try offering a Friday only 1 day, and also Saturday and Sunday 2 day, both at a higher per day rate. That would satisfy the guys that can't do a 3 day event. By charging both a 25% premium compared to the 3 day pricing, you won't have to fill Friday completely to still hit your numbers. Pro Auto Sports does a price discount for multi day participants. The single day rate is higher, but you get a reduced rate for multi day registrations.

You can also give the 3 day participants priority for getting approved. If 98% of slots are filled by 3 day participants, then fill the remaining slots with 1 and 2 day participants.

As is, COTA sells out and has a waiting list.
No reason to change for COTA.

If someone can't do a 3 day event, they can still pay for 3 but show up for 2.

If COTA doesn't sell out, then revisit the idea of offering a 2 day or 1 day option.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:32 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
You could try offering a Friday only 1 day, and also Saturday and Sunday 2 day, both at a higher per day rate. That would satisfy the guys that can't do a 3 day event. By charging both a 25% premium compared to the 3 day pricing, you won't have to fill Friday completely to still hit your numbers. Pro Auto Sports does a price discount for multi day participants. The single day rate is higher, but you get a reduced rate for multi day registrations.

You can also give the 3 day participants priority for getting approved. If 98% of slots are filled by 3 day participants, then fill the remaining slots with 1 and 2 day participants.

As is, COTA sells out and has a waiting list.
No reason to change for COTA.

If someone can't do a 3 day event, they can still pay for 3 but show up for 2.

If COTA doesn't sell out, then revisit the idea of offering a 2 day or 1 day option.

Interesting ideas and we have spent some time trying to work out how to best manage the COTA 3-day requirements. The one day, a la carte approach has been tried unsuccessfully at COTA. I think the three day price of $945 for the Austin Schnell Fest it is very comparable to the 2-day offerings of the other groups running track days at COTA, so if you only arrive on Friday and just drive in the afternoon, you still have better value than other options.

One thing we are actively working on is selling half of the Friday to some groups that cannot afford a full day or weekend at COTA. This would allow us to make Friday afternoon an advanced solo only event, this would eliminate the need to have instructors for 3 days and it would provide an opportunity for the instructors and advance participants to run essentially and open track.

Last edited by Texas RS; 10-12-2017 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,402 Likes on 748 Posts

+1
Old 10-12-2017, 12:26 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I just registered for the event! This will be my first event and I can't decide which car to bring. My GTI is my DD with a manual so I am the most familiar with it and we have a '99 Boxster that we are having some work done to make it more reliable for the track. I also have a 991.1 C4S that I really want to use for this event but am concerned about it being too much car for the first event and making catastrophic mistakes that'll damage it. The C4S is PDK so I won't get too wrapped up in shifting for my first time out and I also want to really drive it and make some memories with it. I'm just concerned about using it out of the gate and am wondering if the GTI or Boxster might be a better option. Between now and Schnellfest I am hoping to get some track time with an instructor to get ready but I am not sure if that will happen due to me schedule. Any input for a newbie?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:27 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ like that idea.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:41 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt_and
I just registered for the event! This will be my first event and I can't decide which car to bring. My GTI is my DD with a manual so I am the most familiar with it and we have a '99 Boxster that we are having some work done to make it more reliable for the track. I also have a 991.1 C4S that I really want to use for this event but am concerned about it being too much car for the first event and making catastrophic mistakes that'll damage it. The C4S is PDK so I won't get too wrapped up in shifting for my first time out and I also want to really drive it and make some memories with it. I'm just concerned about using it out of the gate and am wondering if the GTI or Boxster might be a better option. Between now and Schnellfest I am hoping to get some track time with an instructor to get ready but I am not sure if that will happen due to me schedule. Any input for a newbie?
For your first DE honestly any of them would be more than fine. If you have one that will be a track car in the future I'd try to start and stick with that car instead of jumping into different seats. The GTI will be a happy car in green group, the Boxster too but personally I'd want a roll bar, the 991 will be fast, but if your going to be distracted thinking about how you don't want to risk it it may not be the right car. I think you'll learn car control faster in one of the slower cars, with lesser rubber and using more of it's performance envelope...the 991S PDK is GT3 level stuff now.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:20 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Capt_and
I like the way you are processing your options. Any of the cars will be fine for your first event, you may be able to develop more skills quicker in the Boxster or GTI. The 991 is a very fast and capable car, but it also has a lot of electronic aides. These are good for going fast, but can mask some of the errors that help you learn.

I hope you are able to get confirmed, the last time I looked at the green run group it was full and there were a few people on the wait list.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:06 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Are there really going to be ~80 people in the instructors group? That's a lot!
Old 10-15-2017, 09:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell
that’s not too many for that track, providing that as instructors, they’re up to speed on that track...
Old 10-15-2017, 09:53 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell
Kevin,

At least 12 of the instructors are signed up as Instructing but Not Driving. Additionally, the passing zones are expanded in the Instructor group. I'm not saying there won't be traffic, but it should be manageable....provided everyone plays nice.

I am sure the flow will be a lot better than an event I was at a few months ago where we had 90 cars on Sears Point (2.38mi). ...we had a lot of fun - no track records, but a lot of passing.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:55 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, well if passing in the corners is allowed and followed it won't be that bad then.

Seperately, our friend with the fast TT3 BMW told me to come find you at this event as you are a fountain of knowledge, so I am sure we will meet up.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:56 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Wish I could make this, going to be a blast. Please post lots 'o pics, of cars AND the food!

Quick Reply: COTA 3 Day Event Nov 17-19