360 camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 09:10 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts
Default 360 camera

Racers! Since its a good idea and may become a rule to have a rear camera I was thinking of a 360 degree camera.

My question is this: If I upload my raw video into iMovie then to youtube or vimeo does the 360 thing still work or do they all use proprietary software or website or something?
Old 09-06-2017, 10:54 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Samsung Gear 360, the first gen, while cool it to do it right it takes a lot of processing time to stich the image together. I assume they will get better over time, or there are other cameras better than this one. With mine you could take the raw video and some of the players do work but you see a clear seam where it doesn't stich together the images. Now maybe if I have a Samsung phone it could process it faster, don't know. Also the battery life doesn't last for 3 sessions so I'm only using it now for the actual race, pretty much have to start wished I could plug it into the USB adaptor I have in the car for the gopro and don't have to worry about it but this one doesn't allow it to run with it's plug in.
So mileage might very, I probably wouldn't recommend the Samsung one.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:58 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

I would advise against it as they are somewhat cumbersome to use. You need their proprietary software to edit files, which takes a long time. I run the Fly360 and it splits a session into 10 minute long bites. It takes a long time to download files. You can however use your iPhone or iPad to look at video quickly.

The other problem is positioning in the car. Unless you mount it on top of the roof, you won't have unobstructed views and even then, you would have to tilt it in your preferred direction (forward). There are simpler and more bullet proof ways to get what you want. I use a dash mounted Fly360 but really only as a backup. A lot of web browsers don't display YouTube video.

Updated video - I hope this works:

https://youtu.be/cEwe2cNZmas

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 09-06-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:02 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I would advise against it as they are somewhat cumbersome to use. You need their proprietary software to edit files, which takes a long time. I run the Fly360 and it splits a session into 10 minute long bites. It takes a long time to download files. You can however use your iPhone or iPad to look at video quickly.

The other problem is positioning in the car. Unless you mount it on top of the roof, you won't have unobstructed views and even then, you would have to tilt it in your preferred direction (forward). There are simpler and more bullet proof ways to get what you want. I use a dash mounted Fly360 but really only as a backup. A lot of web browsers don't display YouTube video correctly.

https://youtu.be/lLYecHClyPY

I use the fly360 also. It's definitely a little awkward to use the software. For example, from the desktop software I can't delete camera files. I have to go into the folder from explorer and delete each file individually from the camera.

On the rollbar though, I get a decent view. What's weird is that when I try to view Frank's video on Youtube, I'm getting a weird image and it's not rotating. But it works on the video I uploaded. Not sure if it's my machine or just the upload.

I use both a regular GoPro for forward views (much clearer) and the 360 to view the rear/sides.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:45 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info

Sounds like just getting another go pro is the way to go until these get less clunky
Old 09-06-2017, 02:05 PM
mannym5
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I also have the 360fly and agree with the above comments, but I still do like it. When loaded to youtube you have to view on either the youtube mobile app or on an actual computer. If you connect to youtube.com through your mobile device web browser it doesn't work properly.
I ordered this also to gain the benefits of front rear and side views. when I mounted it mid cabin I had trouble getting the exposure right(inside the car looked good, outside too bright). See first vid from lime rock. I then moved it closer to the dashboard and that improved the outside front and side view, but it is now a little tougher to see behind you. See second vid from the Glen.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:11 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Horus2000

On the rollbar though, I get a decent view. What's weird is that when I try to view Frank's video on Youtube, I'm getting a weird image and it's not rotating. But it works on the video I uploaded. Not sure if it's my machine or just the upload.
Sorry - I updated the link to the correct one.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:54 PM
JarheadGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to pile on...I've got the Nikon KeyMission 360. Great resolution (4k) and it does all the processing onboard the camera, however like others it breaks up the files into 7 minute increments. Have only briefly played with it, so I don't know if lowering the resolution will get me bigger chunks, but the files do upload directly into YouTube without any issues. I have noticed, though, that while the Nikon software automatically stabilizes the video during playback, it is quite jittery when viewed on YouTube. Until I get smarter on the device, I'll continue to run a Smartycam for primary and GoPro for rear view.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:32 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

I really hope they don't require a rear camera. While I totally get the intent, it's yet another thing to have to remember to turn on; my current automatic system is only one camera and I really don't want to have to buy a totally new system.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:48 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
I really hope they don't require a rear camera. While I totally get the intent, it's yet another thing to have to remember to turn on; my current automatic system is only one camera and I really don't want to have to buy a totally new system.
And one more thing to remember to charge and make sure the card has enough memory etc.

If a go pro remote can run two cameras it might not be so bad
Old 09-07-2017, 12:39 PM
Greg Phillips
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default ATC Chameleon

Another option is the dual - lens ATC Chameleon that will shoot forwards and back at the same time, and only $29 on Amazon.
Amazon Amazon

Greg
Old 09-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

$29?!?!?!! Dude! I'm in a spec class for reason!

Quick Reply: 360 camera