Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE day and effect on oil ? (Oh no, bad thread idea?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 11:05 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
A bit of anecdotal info about oil and the track:

Manufacturers are using super light oils now, both to speed up cold start warm ups (emissions) and to improve fuel economy (CAFE). Both benefit the manufacturer, not us.

I have a current model Stingray Z51 (dry sump engine). The OEM oil is like 0-30 or 0-40 or something. HOWEVER: Chevy is honest enough about the car.s track capabilities as to specifically and emphatically state, in the owners manual, that's it is important to use 15-50 Mobil1 for track use. In fact, the first four oil changes (or maybe its 5?) are free, and they will use the 15-50 Mobil1 at no extra charge if you tell the service tech you're using the car on track.

So...your mileage may vary, both literally and figuratively.
that's interesting. My Porsche shop also recommends 15w50 Mobil and Redline for tracked cars.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:08 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 748 Posts

Yep. Even if its not Mobil1, which frankly isn't the best oil out there, a bit thicker oil is better for serious track work, especially in warmer weather.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:32 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
I also use Mobil 1, 0w40.
I have noticed that the pressure does drop after motor is run hard.
The oil pressure goes back to normal after engine cools.
This usally happens after a couple hours of driving in traffic or a couple of run sessions at the track.
I just ordered my first Blackstone test.
I have been considering switching to DT40 Gibbs oil.
But I have been using Mobil 1 in all our cars for 35 years.
Not sure which way is best route.
David
Big mistake.....DT40 can not handle the heat from track days. It will break down extremely fast. Personally I use "Driven" XP6 20/50 wt on the track and change it after 600 miles and go back to street oil (DT40) until the next track weekend. Also, always use a fresh filter no matter how long or short your oil has been in the car when you change it. I also think 0/40 wt oil is too thin for the track.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I change my oil and filter every 6 to 8 track days, Playing it safe.
I use Mobil 1 0-40, and yes, it is recommended by Porsche. Check any relatively new Owners Manual. Mobil 1 0W-40 is the oil of choice "by' Porsche.
Every 6 to 8 track days (appx 3 to 4 DE's of 2 to 3 days each).
Recommended by porsche only means there is an agreement business wise. there is NOTHING scientific about that recommendation,, other than the oil meets min requirements.

Originally Posted by NYC993
snip
now that I tow I change oil every 3 events (equivalent of 9 days) and those tend to have more sessions that a usual DE. I'm about to do Tbolt with 5 25-30min session per day.

My car is air-cooled so I run 20w50 vtwin oil (non of that 0-40 stuff here). I ran redline oil for 3 events and oil analysis came very comparable to the previous ones.
Redline seems to perform very well under track conditions

A bit of anecdotal info about oil and the track:

Manufacturers are using super light oils now, both to speed up cold start warm ups (emissions) and to improve fuel economy (CAFE). Both benefit the manufacturer, not us.

I have a current model Stingray Z51 (dry sump engine). The OEM oil is like 0-30 or 0-40 or something. HOWEVER: Chevy is honest enough about the car.s track capabilities as to specifically and emphatically state, in the owners manual, that's it is important to use 15-50 Mobil1 for track use. In fact, the first four oil changes (or maybe its 5?) are free, and they will use the 15-50 Mobil1 at no extra charge if you tell the service tech you're using the car on track.

So...your mileage may vary, both literally and figuratively.
Very true about what the manufactures are recommending these days but also dont compare the Chevy and porsche engines. very different tolerances and designs. 30weight is the standard for most small blocks, and for porsche, while 20-50 is as much as a standard. Less anecdotal evidence, is that in a fairly controlled test, (same (2) cars with mobil 1 vs same car with redline and same hot 90F day ) oil pressure light (very low pressure) came on with Mobil 1 at Buttonwillow driven fast group Time trial. With redline and Amsoil, they both had 5 bar pressure with NO variances below. That was proof enough for me.

Yep. Even if its not Mobil1, which frankly isn't the best oil out there, a bit thicker oil is better for serious track work, especially in warmer weather.
sometimes going thicker with a blend that has viscosity breakdown at high temp, doesnt buy you very much. That Mobil 1 could have been 60 weight and it wouldnt make a difference... it basically turned to water at 250F engine temps. Go with good quality racing oils if you really want to track your car and dont want to spin a bearing.

Originally Posted by NYC993
that's interesting. My Porsche shop also recommends 15w50 Mobil and Redline for tracked cars.
many shops and mechanics recommend all sorts of things with out a credible amount of experience. however, Redline is a good track oil.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:30 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Recommended by porsche only means there is an agreement business wise. there is NOTHING scientific about that recommendation,, other than the oil meets min requirements.

Very true about what the manufactures are recommending these days but also dont compare the Chevy and porsche engines. very different tolerances and designs. 30weight is the standard for most small blocks, and for porsche, while 20-50 is as much as a standard. Less anecdotal evidence, is that in a fairly controlled test, (same (2) cars with mobil 1 vs same car with redline and same hot 90F day ) oil pressure light (very low pressure) came on with Mobil 1 at Buttonwillow driven fast group Time trial. With redline and Amsoil, they both had 5 bar pressure with NO variances below. That was proof enough for me.

sometimes going thicker with a blend that has viscosity breakdown at high temp, doesnt buy you very much. That Mobil 1 could have been 60 weight and it wouldnt make a difference... it basically turned to water at 250F engine temps. Go with good quality racing oils if you really want to track your car and dont want to spin a bearing.

many shops and mechanics recommend all sorts of things with out a credible amount of experience. however, Redline is a good track oil.

Thanks VR. I was aware of the business agreement, but didn't realize that Porsche would recommend a different oil than what's best for their cars. Appreciate the info. I'm always learning something new from you. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:32 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort

Thanks for the info. Always learning new stuff from you guys. Appreciate it.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:33 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I was aware of the business agreement, but didn't realize that Porsche would recommend a different oil than what's best for their cars. Appreciate the info. I'm always learning something new from you. Thanks.

Duplicate post? Sorry
Old 08-14-2017, 12:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks VR. I was aware of the business agreement, but didn't realize that Porsche would recommend a different oil than what's best for their cars. Appreciate the info. I'm always learning something new from you. Thanks.
My read on what Dave was saying, is that chevy recommends a different oil than what it comes with for specific use, which is interesting. Porsche does not. They have a business relationship with mobil 1, which doesnt necessarily mean that its the best oil, just as the tires they select ( and partner with manufacturer) are not necessarily the best either. (but in the tire department, they got it right )

from Chevy Z51 corvette he mentioned, which i think is really odd that the car comes with 5-30 oil , but hey recommend 0-50 mobil 1 for track days.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Viscosity Grade
Use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade
engine oil.

snip
always select an oil of the correct
specification. See “Specification”
earlier in this section for more
information.

For track events or competitive
driving, use Mobil 1® 15W-50
engine oil. An instrument cluster
warning light will be illuminated at
high oil temperatures.
Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1® specification of the proper SAE
viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 Synthetic Blend is recommended. For
track events or competitive driving, use Mobil 1® engine oil.
from porsche however, 0-40/-50 is only for ALL weather. (really cold to really hot)..... if you are not ever operating the car in sub Zero conditions, (above -13F) dont use the 0 weight and stay with the 50 weight as well, especially if you are tracking the car.

1) Generally, you can find details on the manufacturer approvals on the oil containers or as a notice displayed by the retailer.
The current approval status is also available from your authorized Porsche dealer.

2) SAE viscosity class – Example: SAE 0W - 40 Specification 0W = Viscosity specification for low temperatures (winter).
Specification 40 = Viscosity specification for high temperatures.

3) For all temperature ranges.

4) For the temperature range above –13 °F (–25 °C)
Attached Images  

Last edited by mark kibort; 08-14-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:18 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I have had lots of track days on Motul 300V with no issues and change once per year. Its not an approved Porsche oil and its claimed its bad for CATS. CATS are a lot cheaper than engines.
When CATS go, can restrict flow and cause too much back pressure and damage top of engine. That is not cheap.
So changing topic for a moment. If tracking hard, change out OEM CATS as they will not stand up to track use over time.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:10 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Switch to Mobil 1 Annual Protection. Then you don't have to change oil for a year of DE!
Old 08-14-2017, 10:31 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Switch to Mobil 1 Annual Protection. Then you don't have to change oil for a year of DE!
Is this 3" tall Kevin Harvick?
Old 08-15-2017, 12:29 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Absolutely!! 0/40 M1 on the track sounds expensive to me. Once the motor blows that is. 20w/50 min is advised. With plenty of ZDDP. The arrangement that Porsche (especially Porsche US) has with Mobil is purely commercial.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:15 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Garrett
Is that still true if I have installed an X51 oil baffle?

I was under the impression my 2003 996 3.6L NA 0W40 was the correct oil?
There are a lot of variables to consider if you track an M96 motor that affect whether it grenades. The x51 baffle helps and with "29 modes of failure" with this engine, do all you can!

Based on my internet musings, if you are sticking with A40 approved oils, running fresh (meaning the viscosity index improvers have not broken down over time to make the wide 5 to 50 viscosity spread a negative attribute), 5w-50 M1 appears to be the best option to run until someone builds us a nice M96/97 dry sump system that eliminates the sloshing and potential to suck air. With that said, for the past 8 years my j-class 02 996 PCA/POC club race car has liked its M1 0w-40 that is changed every several race weekends. By "liked" I mean it hasn't grenaded yet.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:20 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

To the person that asked, I drive an '86 3.2
I use Mobil VR-1 20W50.

I have been considering switching to Synth for my next oil change,
but got stuck on the ZDDP thing.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:49 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
To the person that asked, I drive an '86 3.2
I use Mobil VR-1 20W50.

I have been considering switching to Synth for my next oil change,
but got stuck on the ZDDP thing.
Thought VR1 was Valvoline not Mobil

Get a 944, never have to worry about changing, just keep adding.

Quick Reply: DE day and effect on oil ? (Oh no, bad thread idea?)