Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Coming Down" after a track weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 09:59 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Default "Coming Down" after a track weekend...

So it's happened again (as it seems to after every track event I do).

I get home from a 3 day track event Sunday evening and feel great, all pumped up, adrenaline still flowing, big smile on my face, tell my wife kids stories about the weekend, the great people, the track, improvements I've made in my driving, big *** ear to ear grin all night, etc......

Then, sometime in the late afternoon on Monday, I feel like all the energy just flows out of me and I feel like crap. Then I get into a ****ty mood. Not physically sick or anything like that, just down. Just tired. Just bleh. Then I'm fine when I wake up Tuesday morning and it's like it never happened.

Do any of you experience this type of "Coming Down" the day after a few days on the track? Is this common? Is it just the adrenaline levels dropping back to normal?

If any of you do experience this, what do you do about it? Just ride it out for the rest of the day on Monday? That's what I do. When I wake up Tuesday morning, everything is fine and I'm back to normal.

Just wondering if any of you experience this type of bleh feeling the day after...

Thanks,

DG
Old 08-15-2017, 10:10 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Sounds like my typical Monday after a track weekend. Generally not very productive - a good time to catch up on BS "work" like training.

Better yet - take that Monday off if you can.

Since I was at the track yesterday and it's Tuesday, I'm already anticipating having a "Post-track Monday" today.

-Mike
Old 08-15-2017, 10:14 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Happens to me if I miss one also
Old 08-15-2017, 10:18 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

Get an espresso machine...
Old 08-15-2017, 10:30 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Its called an "Addiction" only way to help it is to feed it with more track time. NEVER go cold turkey to try and stop the addiction . Very dangerous to you and those that maybe traveling to slowly in the left lane.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:40 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Red Bull helps treat this condition while watching racing video
Old 08-15-2017, 10:41 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Track is addictive. Ive also experienced what the OP has posted. Nothing you can do except book another weekend....
Old 08-15-2017, 11:29 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
Track is addictive. Ive also experienced what the OP has posted. Nothing you can do except book another weekend....
Was at WGI y-day......first day after (today) I'm still wacked on adrenaline and thoughts from the day. I got to bed at midnight last night and hardly slept at all--up at 5am. Now I've just returned from getting tires flipped and will stay busy all day.......

Second day after (tomorrow) is when I generally hit the wall--I'm in my normal routine but am dragging my a$$--then good by the third day, which is a good thing because that's when I leave for 3 days @ Mid-O!

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 08-15-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:07 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Only one cure...
Go back and do it again!

Originally Posted by dgrobs
So it's happened again (as it seems to after every track event I do).

I get home from a 3 day track event Sunday evening and feel great, all pumped up, adrenaline still flowing, big smile on my face, tell my wife kids stories about the weekend, the great people, the track, improvements I've made in my driving, big *** ear to ear grin all night, etc......

Then, sometime in the late afternoon on Monday, I feel like all the energy just flows out of me and I feel like crap. Then I get into a ****ty mood. Not physically sick or anything like that, just down. Just tired. Just bleh. Then I'm fine when I wake up Tuesday morning and it's like it never happened.

Do any of you experience this type of "Coming Down" the day after a few days on the track? Is this common? Is it just the adrenaline levels dropping back to normal?

If any of you do experience this, what do you do about it? Just ride it out for the rest of the day on Monday? That's what I do. When I wake up Tuesday morning, everything is fine and I'm back to normal.

Just wondering if any of you experience this type of bleh feeling the day after...

Thanks,

DG
Old 08-15-2017, 02:41 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

That surprises me that it happens with you folks who do a lot of DEs and Club Racing.
I am only able to go a couple times a year, but the same drained feeling the next day.
In fact, when I get home Sunday evening, I just grab my gear bag, put the car in the garage and leave for a day or two.
I think it has a lot to do with age also, that much adrenaline flowing for a couple of days, I think it plays a little harder on older fellas.
David
Old 08-15-2017, 02:59 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
That surprises me that it happens with you folks who do a lot of DEs and Club Racing.
I am only able to go a couple times a year, but the same drained feeling the next day.
In fact, when I get home Sunday evening, I just grab my gear bag, put the car in the garage and leave for a day or two.
I think it has a lot to do with age also, that much adrenaline flowing for a couple of days, I think it plays a little harder on older fellas.
David

Good input David.
I'm 52 years old, not really an old guy, but I will say that it seems to be getting worse with every 2 or 3 day track event I do.
Maybe that could be because I'm enjoying the track that much more each time or maybe because I get a little better at it each time and the adrenaline flows just that little bit more each time.
It's gotten to the point that my wife and kids have said to me "what happens to you at 6pm every Monday after you spend the weekend at the track?"
I tell them that the adrenaline is finally wearing off from the weekend. I honestly believe that to be the case.
Regardless, I don't ever plan to stop. I just love it too much.
One so-so evening after 3 days of on track bliss is a fair trade off in my book.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:06 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Old 08-15-2017, 03:39 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

I register for my next event and watch race videos while I am watching a pro race on TV. It's like racers methadone.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:46 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Good input David.
I'm 52 years old, not really an old guy, but I will say that it seems to be getting worse with every 2 or 3 day track event I do.
Maybe that could be because I'm enjoying the track that much more each time or maybe because I get a little better at it each time and the adrenaline flows just that little bit more each time.
It's gotten to the point that my wife and kids have said to me "what happens to you at 6pm every Monday after you spend the weekend at the track?"
I tell them that the adrenaline is finally wearing off from the weekend. I honestly believe that to be the case.
Regardless, I don't ever plan to stop. I just love it too much.
One so-so evening after 3 days of on track bliss is a fair trade off in my book.

I am 58, but I didn't think about it too much until I read this thread.

I also agree, as I improve as a driver and feel more comfortable interacting with people who have serious track cars, I want to do it more often.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:19 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

My group of track friends have a name for this.

"TW_T" - The Week After Track. It's a real problem. Agree with the above. The only way to get over it is to plan the next weekend.

For us the TW_T in October is the worst, since at that point, it is likely we will not see the track again until April.

Quick Reply: "Coming Down" after a track weekend...