Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit Point Club race

Old 09-25-2017, 06:34 PM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Texas SPB racers never talk about Summit Point as a destination track and I absolutely had a blast. T4 (the chute) is one of my favorite corners I've even driven... your mind says to brake and your heart says just lift and go! What an absolutely unappreciated track.

It was a perfect finish to the NE tour - I'm done for the 2017 season as the long trips + work taxed me out. Perfect track to end on and will tell all my buddies that Summit Point is worth the trip. It does seem like they're still improving the safety issues which is good to hear.

Robbie Provost drove his butt off and Hunt was fast and funny as always. There was some major battles going on throughout the entire pack and some incredible drama. Andy doing what he did and showing up for the next race a couple hours later was absolutely amazing. The Provost crew got Hoyt back out on track after I thought there wasn't a chance he'd drive the car again that weekend. This was for sure a weekend where the CREW stole the show.

I was able to sneak away with a little something something and expect it to be broken next year with a repaved track, cold weather (was freaking hot), and no bobble in T8 which costed me time.

Thank you everyone who worked this great event!

Old 09-25-2017, 06:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 744 Posts

That yellow flag video concept is fantastic
Old 09-25-2017, 07:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by FeuerRacing

I was able to sneak away with a little something something and expect it to be broken next year with a repaved track, cold weather (was freaking hot), and no bobble in T8 which costed me time.
Nice lap, Chris. A little work in T1, T5 and exit of T7 (eliminating the bobble in T8) will for sure get you further forward!

I love Summit Main!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-25-2017, 07:15 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...tin-powers.jpg

Caption: More nitro than I expected
Old 09-25-2017, 07:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Caption: More nitro than I expected
UNION JACK FLIES ABOVE THE COLONIES AGAIN !
Old 09-25-2017, 07:33 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dougdep
what was with the "as a reminder, there are no guns allowed in the paddock" comment at the driver's meeting???
So we had an 'incident' at a nearby track this past season. Dude wrecks his Vette (actually his dad's Vette), flips it over a tire wall, jumps out (yes he got out of his car on a hot track), is on the phone calling his dad's attorney, and is freaked out asking about his gun. The gun was found in the cabin with the magazine in the glove box. All four tires were completely corded out, looks like he went out with very little air pressure.

He fabricated information on his entry form and was released in the White Run Group (solo) and tried to sue PCA for allowing him to drive without an instructor. For some reason we haven't seen him since.

While there is a sign at the front gate, and notification rules listed on the registration form, as well as your acceptance email, we now have to hear about gun restrictions at every driver's meetings thanks to this ******.

Good ole southern point-bys will never be the same
Old 09-25-2017, 07:54 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

I was able to sneak away with a little something something

Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2017, 08:19 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by hunterpeaks

AND HOORAY for the new "Yellow Flag Video Review" Rule Change. As many of you know, I have been lobbying hard for this change this year with many of you signing on to support this. It worked excellently and was used successfully by a few this weekend.

BEFORE: If you didn't pass under yellow, but a corner worker thinks you have, you get black flagged and your race is effectively lost. NOW, you are NOT black flagged, but when you come in at the end of the race, you goto the black flag station and you are informed that you have been seen by a corner worker passing under yellow. You have 45minutes to submit your video proof that you didn't pass under yellow. IF you don't submit proof, then you are assessed a 45 second penalty (about same time as a stop and go). This makes sure your race is not ruined by a bad call from a corner worker and also further incentivizes your use of video cameras.

Hunter
Many thanks for making this effort. It will help,all of us. Nice!
Old 09-25-2017, 08:20 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes, the yellow flag rule seems like a winner. Thanks for your efforts.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:11 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
As long as you hum the appropriate Dukes of Hazard music into your mic then you have the right of way.
somehow, the foreshadowing in this post seems eerie......

Please rise for the British national anthem......
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2017, 09:53 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

The Texas SPB racers never talk about Summit Point as a destination track and I absolutely had a blast. T4 (the chute) is one of my favorite corners I've even driven... your mind says to brake and your heart says just lift and go! What an absolutely unappreciated track.

It was a perfect finish to the NE tour - I'm done for the 2017 season as the long trips + work taxed me out. Perfect track to end on and will tell all my buddies that Summit Point is worth the trip. It does seem like they're still improving the safety issues which is good to hear.

Robbie Provost drove his butt off and Hunt was fast and funny as always. There was some major battles going on throughout the entire pack and some incredible drama. Andy doing what he did and showing up for the next race a couple hours later was absolutely amazing. The Provost crew got Hoyt back out on track after I thought there wasn't a chance he'd drive the car again that weekend. This was for sure a weekend where the CREW stole the show.

Thank you everyone who worked this great event!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHtJMNE-YuQ

I told you that you were going to love it. Though the gearing isn't ideal the track is otherwise perfect for SPBs. It wasn't long ago that there were only three of us at Summit and this year we had twentysome start on Saturday. Bring em all up. The more the merrier.

Yesterday ended in frustration after my transmission let go while in P2 with eight min to go but the weekend was still a lot of fun and it was very well run by both the National and Potomac teams.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:56 PM
dlwasser12
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow that was quite a ride, for a minute you looked like a RAF pilot. Glad that you were not hurt an were able to race again.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:01 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

I can think of some safety improvements at what I'm happy to call my home track but "catch fence left of 8" was not top of my list.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:22 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

Now for some racing action!

A weekend full of highs and lows. Highs: P3 in both sprints and P2 in the enduro. Lows: my record has fallen. Some interloper set a new low of 1:23.3. Whatever. It wasn't that important to me anyway. It's not like I had shirts made. Well, not a bunch anyway.

This was the biggest field of SPB's in the history of our annual race. 23 cars signed up. What a blast!

The enduro started off well. Then it got better once I worked my way around E traffic. Then it got even better when I got around Robbie Provost (who drove is *** off all weekend and gave me a hug when I needed it ). And then even better when Provost's car exploded. At that point I was assured P2!

Then a little wiggle in T1 sent me off to the outside of T2 where I patiently watched 26 cars drive by while I waited to be waved back on track.

Man was I pissed. Just screaming in my head. What a screw up. Cost me everything. And it was hot.

Side note: apologies to anyone caught by surprise. I stopped where I could see a corner worker but I was right at track out for T2. It was a really terrible place to sit. And I couldn't see anybody coming due to the angle of the track. The next time ( ) I'll drive up the grass so I'm parallel to the track and at the point the line crosses to track right I'll ease back on.

Anyhoo, I found myself with a monumental task ahead of me. Get back to P2. And I did it. From 3rd to 2nd to 1st back to nearly last then back to 2nd. Crazy race. Non-stop pushing to regain positions. A shout out to Steve Wilson and Shane Howard for working my pitstop. I barked at Shane when he asked me if I wanted some water. I was furious at my predicament. Shane just wanted to give me some water but only if I wanted it. He didn't deserve that. Thank you Shane. Thank God for that second yellow. That closed the gap between me and P3/P2 (Biedler and Belles) who were running together and I chased Evan and Clarke, who made a hole on the restart, past P3 and then as fate would have it as I closed in on P2 (Belles) his transmission let go. P2 was mine! Longest enduro I remember in a long time

Last edited by Streak; 09-26-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:33 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Awesome job! Sometimes those kind of drives are the most satisfying drives!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Summit Point Club race