Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the fence about DE, uncertain or apprehensive? Hopefully this helps...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:22 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts
Default On the fence about DE, uncertain or apprehensive? Hopefully this helps...

So my local PCA chapter asked me to write an article about my personal DE experience and the path it has led me down from my first DE tech night through today. Seeing a few questions about first time track days I thought I would share in the hope it convinces one more person to get out there and support our sport... Jersey Shore is also holding a 2 day DE prior to the NJMP Club Race if anyone is looking for additional track time!

(Apologies for the formatting)

DE Days… So much more than driving!
By Paul Solk
http://jsrpca.com/wp-content/uploads...ugust-2017.pdf

Ed Note: We have been following a blossoming new member of our club Paul Solk. See
the article on Porsches on the Beach in this edition, here is a new member who, shows
both his tow vehicle and race car at our car show and wins! He should have entered the
trailer as well! The next week he tows to the track and drives in a four day driver education
event, go figure. I asked him to put his thoughts together so we could write an article
about his new hobby. Low and behold, read this article he sent me, I didn’t alter a
word. We all look forward to future articles from Paul and his exploits as he ventures
further into PCA racing.

So the irony is that I am sitting at a DE writing an article about my DE experience.
Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined being 8 ½ hours from home driving
on one of the most phenomenal race tracks in the world but that is exactly where I am
currently sitting enjoying the comradery and friendships I have built over the past 22
months.
It’s hard to believe this entire experience began with a Porsche Macan. It was my
first Porsche, my baby girl, and the thought of putting my new baby on the track certainly
left me with some apprehension. Then it hit me, where else will I get the opportunity
to legally experience what my vehicle was actually capable of and built to do. So swallowing
a big gulp of pride I showed up at Bodymotion for my first ever “DE Tech” 2
August’s ago with a crossover that looked more like it should be towing some of the
race cars parked there than participating. My goodness, the race cars, I don’t think I
picked up my jaw for a week after leaving Bodymotion.
The Shoreline | July—August 2017 | Page 15
So pride in hand I showed up slightly overwhelmed but more than anything excited
for the experience in front of me. Not knowing what to expect the emotions and
angst were definitely overflowing. But as soon as I arrived instantaneously I was welcomed
by some phenomenal people who to this day have become very good friends and
continue to mentor me as my DE experience grows and evolves. In fact, it was my first
instructor’s father who signed me off for my rookie license application. Go figure!
Very quickly as I spoke to and met more people I realized this wasn’t just about coming
to drive my car on a track, it is so much more. The experience of a day at the track is
simply so much more than driving on the track or how fast you went. It is about the
people, the day, the conversations, the smiles (there will be a lot of them) and the memories
you come away with.
But what about the driving? I’ve never been on a track before, what do I do…
Well, that round thing in your hands you use every day, that’s still there, the right pedal,
the left pedal, for some people even a 3rd pedal, there all there too, those shiny things
that show you what’s behind you, still there, in fact nothing changes from how you
“operate” your vehicle day to day. Right pedal makes it go, steering wheel makes it turn
and brakes make it stop. Same thing you have done since the day you got your license.
So what is so different about the track? Well for starters there are no speed limits, no
police waiting around the corner, no oncoming traffic and you get to use all the tarmac
for yourself. Wow, sounds great right, well it is…
At the end of the day, a DE is indeed a learning and growing experience. But with
that experience also comes the requirement for awareness, responsibility, courtesy and
most of all respect. Respect for the machine you are piloting, respect for everyone else
you are sharing the track with and respect for your own abilities. If you keep those core
principals in mind a DE can be anything you want it to be. From an opportunity to take
advantage of the phenomenal program PCA has put in place to a pathway to something
you could only dream of as a kid playing with your toy cars and competitive racing.

With the support of Bodymotion Racing for me the path has become the latter. All
being well my first rookie race will be the weekend of the Jersey Shore DE! Like many
other drivers I will be there at the DE and I am always more than happy to speak to anyone
about what a phenomenal journey this past 22 months has been. One of the best
parts of the DE is I am the rule not the exception. The willingness to listen, share, give
advice and genuinely help newcomers is something that makes PCA DE’s so special.
So remember how I started this “article” you drive your car every day. I understand
taking that first step to attend a DE or even coming back to try and execute what
you learned can be intimidating. I get it, I was intimidated too but I can tell you if you
follow the key principles I spoke about earlier a DE can be anything from a great day
with your Porsche to a slippery slope to competitive racing. Either way you truly won’t
find much better people anywhere than you will at the race track and now you have the
opportunity to experience it for yourself.

Anything we can do to share our passion and pass it on is good for the sport and
the people who support us in it so please, come out in August, join us on track, be a part
of the PCA track family and most importantly, remember it is YOUR day. Be Safe,
Have Fun and I’ll see you on track…
Old 08-07-2017, 12:12 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for posting Paul. I hope to follow in your footsteps someday soon and try the next step, Club Racing!

Jeff
Old 08-07-2017, 07:03 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Thanks for posting Paul. I hope to follow in your footsteps someday soon and try the next step, Club Racing!

Jeff

Same here Jeff.
Been doing tons of DE and open track days. Almost ready to take it up a level, but want a few more DE's under my belt first.
Indeed, a great post by Paul.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka

Jeff
Thanks guys! I was asked to write in order to try and entice more first timers to come out to the track. Hoping my enthusiasm came across and if I'm lucky one person who was on the fence read it and decided to come out and give it a try! Thanks again for the feedback, greatly appreciated!
Old 08-08-2017, 09:54 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Good article and very true. Here's one I followed for some time:

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-a.../topics/110545
Old 08-10-2017, 08:10 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
Good article and very true. Here's one I followed for some time:

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-a.../topics/110545
enjoyed this and OP's write-up.

Here is write-up from my first track day nearly 7 years ago.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467309
Old 08-11-2017, 07:04 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Though my first track day was in the last century I still recall going for a ride with my instructor in his E30M3 that day--after showing me what "car control" was all about as he drifted the car through the chicane at Mid-Ohio I told him "I wanna be able to drive like you!".

Don't know if I can yet but have spent the last 20+ years having a blast trying

Gary

Quick Reply: On the fence about DE, uncertain or apprehensive? Hopefully this helps...