Sponsored by:

Track Insurance 2 Cars $200K total insured value

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 10:10 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts
Default Track Insurance 2 Cars $200K total insured value

I'm sure this has been covered here before, but I didn't see anything very recent.

I have 2 cars I use for DE and open track days. Both Porsches.
($150K insured value) and ($50K insured value).

I have used Lockton before for a 3 day DE at WGI with the $150K car recently but it was very expensive and had a 10% deductible and I'm looking around for better options if possible. Thankfully, I didn't have to use the insurance, and for that matter, have never had any DE incidents and I do about 10 to 12 DE's/season. I have been doing these DE's for about 4 years now.

I did check out Open Track's annual policy to possibly insure both cars for HDPE at a total insured value of $200K for the two cars.
It seems that the first car has a high minimum premium and the second car (of lesser value) is relatively cheap when added on to the annual policy with the first car.

I know most of you here are MUCH MORE experienced with HPDE than I am as I only started about 4 years ago.

As an aside, I do have a membership at a track here in the Northeast and try to run about 10-15 days of open track/season during member days there, but I have yet to reach that 15 day number. Much closer to 10 days of open track on member days.

I would like both cars to be covered for any damage during these member days as well, so Open Track would seem the right choice, as expensive as that may be to insure both cars for a year at a time.

Can any of you folks recommend some other options for me as far as track insurance goes that would suit my needs?

My regular Homeowners and Auto policy specifically has language in it that CLEARLY states that ANY damage incurred on any racetrack, whether timed or not, IS NOT covered for damage in any way. The language is very specific towards ANY and ALL damage that happens on ANY track, so I am not covered for damage via my regular policy.

Any suggestions and references from you more experienced folks would be greatly appreciated as far as track insurance goes.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions....

Last edited by dgrobs; 08-03-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:18 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If I am not mistaken, theOpenTrack will insure both of your cars at whatever value you choose (providing it is above their minimum). In your case, you would only need to purchase one policy for $150K that will provide coverage for both cars. They effectively insure the second car for free. You do not need to add the insured values of both cars to determine the amount of coverage, unless you think you might wreck both cars during one policy period.

theOpenTrack pricing is most effective when you are doing many events in a year. I'm not sure that you could justify the cost of one of their policies if you are only doing 10 days per year. Their pricing begins to look very compelling when you do 20+ days/year.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:42 AM
BlackRain
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Find a carrier that has not excluded "DE" events
I have changed Liberty M for now
Old 08-04-2017, 11:50 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackRain

I can't seem to find one here in New Jersey. I know my policy won't cover it and I've looked at a few other companies and their language specifically excludes anything that happens on a race track, whether timed, competitive or just driver's ed. Do you have any recommendations for a company in NJ that would not exclude open track days and DE's?
Thanks
Old 08-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRain
Not just DE events. Some carriers state even if your car is within a track/facility designed for racing/timed events ect.

I use the Open track and they have been great. Even added a local track to their covered facilities the night before I was scheduled to run- at my request. Just the ease of mind alone is worth it when I go to any event.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:03 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

99% of the carriers now exclude DE. The other advantage to track insurance is it wont drive up your personal auto rates or risk being dropped altogether if you do have a claim >
Old 08-04-2017, 06:10 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Last edited by dgrobs; 08-05-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:26 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Is Lockton and Open Track the only companies for DE insurance these days?

I've been out of DE for 2 years and coming back to it this fall for a couple events. I use to insure with a company out of NY...themguy was a member on Rennlist but I can't remember the name or find info.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:39 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

^ I think you are referring to Steve @ OnTrack...great guy, just won't cover Canadian events......
Old 08-07-2017, 01:09 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Country911
^ I think you are referring to Steve @ OnTrack...great guy, just won't cover Canadian events......
Yep figured it out...thanks! He's more on the instant quote than Hagarty....still shopping around
Old 08-07-2017, 04:32 PM
993Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last couple of carriers I've had have exclusion language like this:

Any vehicle, located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of: Competing in; or Practicing or preparing for; any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest

I would expect HPDE to fall outside of this. I do buy track insurance, thinking it could get ugly if I need to file a claim.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:49 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I did the annual policy with Open Track for the $50K car as that's what I'll be tracking in the immediate future.
I will add the $150K car onto the policy right before I track it again, thus basically insuring the $150K and adding the $50K on to that.
For the amount of track days I do, that seemed like the most economical and prudent insurance for me to buy.
They also have a 5% deductible where the others were at least 10%. That's good.
I didn't buy the insurance for any "little" incidents which might happen. I invested in the track insurance in the event that the "big" one happens.
I do about 30 to 45 track days/season and have never had an incident. I do not club race. I only do DE's and open track days at a track I have a membership at.
Open Track seemed like the obvious choice for the amount of track days I do each year, so that's what I did.
Car covered...check. Regular insurance not affected...check. Peace of mind...check.
Open Track it is.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:49 PM
HagertyHPDE
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check us out at Hagerty - go to www.hagerty.com/hpde. theOpenTrack is also a great option, and will cover those member days - just have to weigh that against the increase cost and how many track days you expect to run in the next 12 months.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

BLACKRAIN you better check again- you are not covered
Old 09-04-2017, 07:16 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts

I can't speak more highly of the guys (Ben and Jerod) at theOpenTrack. For me, there really isn't another option insurance wise because of my agreed value, but these gentlemen nod their offering make the whole DE insurance process simple and easy...and they are just fabulous guys and really go out of the way for their clients.

BLACKRAIN - I completely agree with GoFish. You are not covered on track....

Quick Reply: Track Insurance 2 Cars $200K total insured value