Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Summer break is here: Best season in a long time, lets talk about it!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 02:10 PM
drivenlife
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F1 Summer break is here: Best season in a long time, lets talk about it!

Just wanted to open a F1 summer break thread as it has been an amazing season so far. New blood trying to prove themselves, Valterri showing that he is incredibly worthy of his current seat at Mercedes, Lance Stroll... well, hes just there...

Feel free to open up any can of worms, including the speculation that Porsche will enter as an engine supplier after announcing their final season in the LMP1 class..

Old 08-03-2017, 02:15 PM
drivenlife
Intermediate

and is anyone else tired of hearing from Kevin Magnussen like i am?!
Old 08-03-2017, 06:04 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Moving this to the Racing and Drivers Education forum.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:17 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Verstappen is going to be great... But right now he drives like a teenager.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:56 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm hoping Kubica makes a comeback and Renault give him a seat next season. That would be incredible.

Yes this has been a great season so far. Really close battle between Lewis and Sebastian. Seems the Ferrari has the edge on tighter circuits and the Merc has the advantage with the faster longer circuits with its longer wheelbase. I'm actually surprised MB hasn't introduced a shorter wheelbase version of their W08 F1 car like Mclaren did in season's past.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:08 PM
tvr-4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree, one of the best seasons lately - personally, i think rain separates men from boys in racing, so would love to see more wet racing in back half of the season... this would immediateky pull in Danny Ric and Verstappen as more than onlookers hoping for MB / Ferrari mistakes.

PS, by wet, i mean raining through significant part of the race and better wet driver winning, not a race won through better tire / pit strategy.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

Liking the battle up front. Looking forward to Alonso's second half. Cars still need better sound and broadcast is still lacking in the insight department. While I like Hobbs and Matchett, Buxton and Diffey bring less to the table. Anyone who follows ski racing and has listened to Bode Miller covering a race will know what I mean. A little fresh blood just off the series would go a long way.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:56 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Liking the battle up front. Looking forward to Alonso's second half. Cars still need better sound and broadcast is still lacking in the insight department. While I like Hobbs and Matchett, Buxton and Diffey bring less to the table. Anyone who follows ski racing and has listened to Bode Miller covering a race will know what I mean. A little fresh blood just off the series would go a long way.
Agree on Hobbs and Matchett. I watched the broadcast of the NASCAR race at the Glen with Diffey as the lead broadcaster. He's the exact over excited self for NASCAR as he is for F1. Re: Buxton, I didn't like him at first, but he's been more insightful with what's going on on grid that actually came true during the race (honestly forgot what it was, but I was surprised) and he must have earned the respect of the grid as they all seem to welcome his interviews prior to the race and he was even the person who asked the post race questions after a certain race/qualifying session.

The racing has been much better than years past simply because someone is challenging Mercedes, but still think MB has too much for Ferrari down the stretch.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:25 PM
drivenlife
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Verstappen is going to be great... But right now he drives like a teenager.

You are correct. All the recent DNF are also playing with his emotions behind the wheel with so much to prove in his youth.

Originally Posted by hsmith
I'm hoping Kubica makes a comeback and Renault give him a seat next season. That would be incredible.

Yes this has been a great season so far. Really close battle between Lewis and Sebastian. Seems the Ferrari has the edge on tighter circuits and the Merc has the advantage with the faster longer circuits with its longer wheelbase. I'm actually surprised MB hasn't introduced a shorter wheelbase version of their W08 F1 car like Mclaren did in season's past.
Kubica has been definitely proven himself in the last test. As for our current front runners, it is going to be interesting to say the least. The Straight line speed difference is very apparent.

Originally Posted by tvr-4
Agree, one of the best seasons lately - personally, i think rain separates men from boys in racing, so would love to see more wet racing in back half of the season... this would immediateky pull in Danny Ric and Verstappen as more than onlookers hoping for MB / Ferrari mistakes.

PS, by wet, i mean raining through significant part of the race and better wet driver winning, not a race won through better tire / pit strategy.
Id love to see another great charge by Max in the rain as well as see what some of the mid pack can do under those conditions !

Originally Posted by CFGT3
Agree on Hobbs and Matchett. I watched the broadcast of the NASCAR race at the Glen with Diffey as the lead broadcaster. He's the exact over excited self for NASCAR as he is for F1. Re: Buxton, I didn't like him at first, but he's been more insightful with what's going on on grid that actually came true during the race (honestly forgot what it was, but I was surprised) and he must have earned the respect of the grid as they all seem to welcome his interviews prior to the race and he was even the person who asked the post race questions after a certain race/qualifying session.

The racing has been much better than years past simply because someone is challenging Mercedes, but still think MB has too much for Ferrari down the stretch.
i have watched some of the British streams, and have found their commentary and knowledge to be excellent but i have a hard time getting a hold of them sometimes and am very impatient to watch the race lol
Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

We are lucky to get Sky Sports UK coverage - you can't do any better, we're really lucky.

Martin Brundle with Damon Hill, Anthony Davidson and the gang don't just know racing, they know F1 specifically and intrinsically.

As UK-based insiders in a UK-based sport - it's just great. Heck the practice, pre-quali, and pre-race shows are some of the best coverage. Often better than the races themselves.

I'm off to Spa and Monza for what I hope will be an epic double-header.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:29 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

This has been the most exciting season in a long time IMHO.
I've been impressed with Ocon. I'd like to see what he could do in a quicker car.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:13 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by CFGT3
Re: Buxton, I didn't like him at first, but he's been more insightful with what's going on on grid that actually came true during the race (honestly forgot what it was, but I was surprised) and he must have earned the respect of the grid as they all seem to welcome his interviews prior to the race
Except for Arivabene, he gave him quite the brush off on the grid at Hungary
Old 08-09-2017, 12:28 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Moving this to the Racing and Drivers Education forum.
I thought the racing and DE forum was for RL member's who are racing, not general discussions about racing.

Diffey and Buxton are the "color guys" and Hobbs and Matchett are the experienced guys.

I like them all and looking forward to the third edition seeing them live at the "FL Review" in Connecticut. I believe they are going to start doing it in other cities - fun night.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:35 PM
drivenlife
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
This has been the most exciting season in a long time IMHO.
I've been impressed with Ocon. I'd like to see what he could do in a quicker car.
IF Checo can stay out of contact lol
Old 08-09-2017, 10:15 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Verstappen is going to be great... But right now he drives like a Dick

FIFY

Quick Reply: F1 Summer break is here: Best season in a long time, lets talk about it!