Sponsored by:

DE @ Laguna Seca: Stuck in a rut of slow

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 06:34 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by FeuerRacing
Lots of good feedback here but am going to to offer something different.

Do you have the stomach to drive 8/10ths, 9/10ths, 10/10ths to gain the massive time available in the car? I see a lot of 5/10ths driving on the video and the suggestions above will get you a tenth or two to get closer to the edge of the friction circle but not to the limits where major time is gained.

The plateau many drivers hit is attributed to their willingness to drive at the limits. Being that you buy track insurance is usually an indicator that you're risk adverse. And to be fast - there will be risks.

There are many people that plateau because they generally don't want to put their car or themselves in harm's way. I understand it and respect it - especially on a street car with limited safety... roll cage, fire suppression, etc. I see you're also wearing a t-shirt while driving which is something I'd only do at 5/10ths driving (tire scrubbing).

So before jumping in with coaches who are going to push you to the edge - I'd first ask if you're willing to start dancing your car and yourself "with the devil" and getting to the limits.

It's a BIG (and personal) question that you need to answer. And then you will have the right direction on how you want to meet your goals.

Hopefully helpful and godspeed.
Agree with Chris, I've been around this track in a 997.1 GT3 street car at full bore - I put it up for sale right after and bought a race car. These modern sports cars at the limit are very very fast

Lots of space for you, but it's a slippery and god awful expensive and time consuming journey to hustle around a track at pace - having fun with friends without a lap timer in the car could prove to be more enjoyable long term - just a thought from someone that went from their first DE to getting a national podium in under 3 years. It was a wild ride, but it burned me the heck out

I'd maybe decide what you want from this hobby and calibrate from there.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:53 PM
dnitake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is number one. Unless there is a compelling reason not to, utilize the FULL width of the track. Any track, any car, any driver. One of the greatest differences between good and great drivers, and pros and ams.

So true. It's one thing to use the whole track, but quite another to NEED the whole track which is what the above is about. OK, it is a DE and you need to drive home, but if you don't need, say, MOST of the track, then you are leaving a LOT on the table. And then to do it lap after lap after lap... Coaching? Hell yes.

I was at LS as well and had a jolly old time.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by dnitake
So true. It's one thing to use the whole track, but quite another to NEED the whole track which is what the above is about. OK, it is a DE and you need to drive home, but if you don't need, say, MOST of the track, then you are leaving a LOT on the table. And then to do it lap after lap after lap... Coaching? Hell yes.

I was at LS as well and had a jolly old time.
^^Yep. Exactly^^
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-24-2017, 07:13 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 114 Posts

hey Mark,
Great to see you at Laguna this wknd. Looks like you were having fun, which is the main point, I think. As far as your driving, I know what you mean by being "comfortable" and stuck in a rut. Good suggestions here by some great drivers about how to overcome that, but the best question is what do you really want to accomplish? Get faster? Improve driving skill? Beat the car next to you in the paddock? These are questions only you can answer.
From a personal perspective, one of the best things I did when stuck in a rut was ask a friend / instructor to jump in the car with me and observe. Just watching your video, there's a ton of room to improve here and hearing it from someone you trust will go a long way.
We had a ton of instructors there this weekend, I'd like to think most of us are approachable and would gladly offer advice and/or jump in the car with you, even if just for a session or two. Yeah, we usually have assigned students we need to attend to but always have some time to offer more experienced drivers like you. Along with driving my own car, I had the pleasure of driving and riding in a Jag F Type R, 997 GT3, and a 991 GT3RS, providing constructive comments to all, hopefully.
Another thing that might help you get out of your rut is to jump in someone else's car for a ride. I'm always amazed how much I learn sitting in the right seat.

Happy to help you with any of this, just ask.

Tim
Spec Boxster 07
Old 07-24-2017, 07:33 PM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
The main problem is that I'm just too comfortable. It's like muscle memory and my body just over slows for the same turns over and over again.

Maybe I should just be happy. I pass cars that are faster than mine but I know there is an average of 8mph left on the table of each corner it bums me out.
https://youtu.be/t7Gtq8KTEO4
I re-read the original request to make sure I wasn't a loony as this thread immediately went into "do this / do that" which makes sense as some of the people get paid to tell you how you do this and that. I love the commentary from the last few posts about what do you want to achieve and perspective on the fun level vs being burned out making this a "job".

BUT the purpose of my initial response is to ask the simple question of "what do you want to achieve at the end of the day and how uncomfortable are you willing to be to get there?"

That's a fundamental question before ANY coaching or tips should be considered. From your original post above I don't see a specific ask but general statements about being bummed out. So here's the options as I see it:

1) Do you want to be be faster but still be comfortable? If so - there's incremental obvious improvements and internet feedback is probably plenty. Just take things slowly and don't jump off the cliff of advice. focus on one corner at a time, etc. etc. as you've read above.

2) Do you want to push your street car much closer to it's limits and are willing to get a little uncomfortable moving you beyond your current capabilities? - If so - coaching could be the right approach and I feel like some advanced instructors with PCA would suffice.

3) Do you want to do everything in your power to be the reincarnate of Ayrton Senna and advance yourself to the limits of your abilities which in turn makes you quick in any car you jump into? If so - that's a leap with the proper car (for safety and setup knowledge) and a pro coach.

At the end of the day - it's either having fun enjoying a bad *** Porsche on bad *** tracks or turning this into a burning desire/mission and flipping this into "a job" because there's not much of a middle ground in this hobby/sport from my perspective.

That's it for me on this topic - I'm going to get back to my simulator and practice.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:01 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

You look like you're using most of the runout room on some of the turns where people get into trouble like 3,4,5 but leaving several feet at the apex. By using all the real estate at the inside of your turns you can increase your speed without adding a lot more risk. Not that I'm god's gift to driving, but look how much closer to the apexes we are getting in this video.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:20 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jayzbird
You look like you're using most of the runout room on some of the turns where people get into trouble like 3,4,5 but leaving several feet at the apex. By using all the real estate at the inside of your turns you can increase your speed without adding a lot more risk. Not that I'm god's gift to driving, but look how much closer to the apexes we are getting in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZkfAcdDYoI
There is some room for improvement here too. this is a great example of focusing at little too much on the apex and not focusing on the best line through the turn. sometimes hitting the apexes at laguna is not the fastest way, as bumps on some turns can destabilize the car. Just nicking some of them is best. some turns at the apex have a lot of camber which can upset the car, often the grip might be best slightly outside of the apex on about half the turns. single apexing 2 for example is not usually faster than double apexing it.
Just some observations from watching the video.

The OP's line is not the problem. he is running a good line.. now, he just needs to use the HP, first....then , start figuring out later braking points (even if he overslows or over shoots the apexs) THEN, he needs to figure out turning grip and safety margin there for his comfort levels. remember, more people try and hig the apex than not..... line and apex can come later after you learn the capability of the car. he has the line down for his needs, now its time for car control.
edit: just watched his lines again. He is right on the money for most all turns. Again, there is an example.... turn 10. you can hit the birm on the right apex, but it is level. where as 1-2 feet off the apex is beginning of a 10degree banking better and faster to be 4 wheels on the banking , than 2 wheels on an apex birm that is level. also , position of the car at the apex is key too. the 911 turbos are going a little too late and hitting the last part of the apex, which gives a non optimal angle approaching the next turn (corkscrew for example) the OP has better lines through those sections.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:34 PM
dnitake
Racer

This is a great thread. It makes me about personally being in a rut for awhile now, and I'm an instructor. But to the OP, you are SO not in a rut. You will freak after having someone sit w/ you for even a couple of sessions. Then when you shave off 7 more seconds, which you will, come back and complain about being in a rut like me, and we'll get drunk together.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:48 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mark kibort
There is some room for improvement here too. this is a great example of focusing at little too much on the apex and not focusing on the best line through the turn. sometimes hitting the apexes at laguna is not the fastest way, as bumps on some turns can destabilize the car. Just nicking some of them is best. some turns at the apex have a lot of camber which can upset the car, often the grip might be best slightly outside of the apex on about half the turns. single apexing 2 for example is not usually faster than double apexing it.
Just some observations from watching the video.

The OP's line is not the problem. he is running a good line.. now, he just needs to use the HP, first....then , start figuring out later braking points (even if he overslows or over shoots the apexs) THEN, he needs to figure out turning grip and safety margin there for his comfort levels. remember, more people try and hig the apex than not..... line and apex can come later after you learn the capability of the car. he has the line down for his needs, now its time for car control.
edit: just watched his lines again. He is right on the money for most all turns. Again, there is an example.... turn 10. you can hit the birm on the right apex, but it is level. where as 1-2 feet off the apex is beginning of a 10degree banking better and faster to be 4 wheels on the banking , than 2 wheels on an apex birm that is level. also , position of the car at the apex is key too. the 911 turbos are going a little too late and hitting the last part of the apex, which gives a non optimal angle approaching the next turn (corkscrew for example) the OP has better lines through those sections.
Great advice. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2017, 08:56 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jayzbird
Great advice. Thanks!
That looked like a fun day. a coupe of turbo buddies and open track. What more could you ask for!! what kind of tires were you on.. you guys looked pretty hooked up too!
Old 07-24-2017, 10:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by FeuerRacing
I re-read the original request to make sure I wasn't a loony as this thread immediately went into "do this / do that" which makes sense as some of the people get paid to tell you how you do this and that. I love the commentary from the last few posts about what do you want to achieve and perspective on the fun level vs being burned out making this a "job".

BUT the purpose of my initial response is to ask the simple question of "what do you want to achieve at the end of the day and how uncomfortable are you willing to be to get there?"

That's a fundamental question before ANY coaching or tips should be considered. From your original post above I don't see a specific ask but general statements about being bummed out. So here's the options as I see it:

1) Do you want to be be faster but still be comfortable? If so - there's incremental obvious improvements and internet feedback is probably plenty. Just take things slowly and don't jump off the cliff of advice. focus on one corner at a time, etc. etc. as you've read above.

2) Do you want to push your street car much closer to it's limits and are willing to get a little uncomfortable moving you beyond your current capabilities? - If so - coaching could be the right approach and I feel like some advanced instructors with PCA would suffice.

3) Do you want to do everything in your power to be the reincarnate of Ayrton Senna and advance yourself to the limits of your abilities which in turn makes you quick in any car you jump into? If so - that's a leap with the proper car (for safety and setup knowledge) and a pro coach.

At the end of the day - it's either having fun enjoying a bad *** Porsche on bad *** tracks or turning this into a burning desire/mission and flipping this into "a job" because there's not much of a middle ground in this hobby/sport from my perspective.

That's it for me on this topic - I'm going to get back to my simulator and practice.
Solid advice. Every driver has to know what their end goal is. For some it's to just have fun, some it is to do their best, some it is to be the best. Once that is answered, you can determine the right path forward.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:17 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mark kibort
That looked like a fun day. a coupe of turbo buddies and open track. What more could you ask for!! what kind of tires were you on.. you guys looked pretty hooked up too!
I'm on NT01s with a mild street/track alignment. The lady in the 991 was just on Summer street tires as I recall. This was an AROSC event. The smaller club events are a great opportunity to get more open track time and meet some new people!
Old 07-25-2017, 12:52 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by dnitake
One thing to do is request one of the GGR instructors. Yes, they have day jobs, but I bet you'd get plenty of constructive ideas w/o incurring too much risk. The price is right too.
One thing I would add to the fray is to use 2nd gear at 11. Powering out onto the straight in 3rd at 2700 RPM is going to cost you big. This will be a free 2 seconds. Now you're almost under 1:50. There's other places too, but I think it's already been said.
I normally do go into second there. Not sure why I didn't on the posted lap.

-Mark

Quick Reply: DE @ Laguna Seca: Stuck in a rut of slow