Sponsored by:

When to do engine-out maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 05:35 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts
Default When to do engine-out maintenance

I've heard a wide range of opinions on this topic. some say, don't until there's a reason and/or near 30k mi. reason meaning clutch or other other misc part that needs engine removed. the 30kmi comment was in reference to when would make sense to do valve adjustment. most tell me time has zero to do with valve adjustment. camshaft/lifters/ign coils are another item listed that can't be diagnosed w/out engine-out. i've been told the biggest enemy of camshafts in cgt is sitting w/no use. other shops have told me, every 4 years, do the major engine-out. while at same time, i hear, take the engine out as LITTLE as possible. it's all over the board.

i'm assuming the feedback on RL might be just as wide-ranging, but thought i'd have a better chance of getting the straight truth on here.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:13 PM
stefan einz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have stuck with the OEM recommendation - i.e. every 4 years. Mine is a one owner car, and if I ever sell it (doubtful!) I'd like to be able to show a perfect maintenance record. I've also done a decent mileage - around 20k so far.

Beyond that, each time I've had the engine out I've used the time to have the car nearly fully stripped, cleaned and checked over. It basically takes the car back to nearly new and in the long run feels like money well spent.

In the UK I think we are fortunate to have only one service centre which works on the cars, in Reading. The team there are fantastic, and I've had one of the same three or four mechanics work on the car for its whole life. I have faith that when they strip and rebuild the car, it is done well.

Here's a thread from the eight year service / engine out.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...5724&mid=41610
Old 06-18-2017, 09:52 PM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 97 Posts

Stefan,

Fantastic post and photos on the CGT, thank you.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:52 PM
jimmyrepasi
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 121 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes! Amazing link Stefan, you can really tell the technicians take pride in their work at your workshop. Heres another look at the service being performed, in a write up I did a few years back

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...r-service.html
Old 06-27-2017, 02:30 AM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

You cant go wrong following the factory maintenance schedule. My mechanic recommended we wait for the second major before he dropped the engine. He based his decision on the reports he was getting from other tech's. When he did, none of the valves needing adjustment. And he wanted to do the TBS W375 service. He also found the overflow tank at the front of the engine had cracked.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:22 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Thanks for the feedback
Old 06-27-2017, 10:23 AM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

Has anyone here needed valves adjusted, if so how many miles were on your car?
Old 07-01-2017, 08:51 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick bottom line: the mechanics can tell you with a few quick measurements and study of the car from their experience. A lot of guys here in Switzerland keep their cars in the garage and then march them out for yearly basic servicing during the winter (mine in contrast has almost 40,000km and climbing; highest in Switzerland and soon perhaps in Europe). I just had a full service done including a clutch pad replacement on mine (after 3 years) and they noted how much better the condition of my car was than the others because of the continued usage. Many of the other cars have all sorts of problems (seals, etc) because they are essentially being neglected. Make sure you redo your tires (with the new Michelins) fairly regularly as well (again, the mechanics can easily check them).
Old 07-02-2017, 05:46 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 320 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Pitts
Quick bottom line: the mechanics can tell you with a few quick measurements and study of the car from their experience. A lot of guys here in Switzerland keep their cars in the garage and then march them out for yearly basic servicing during the winter (mine in contrast has almost 40,000km and climbing; highest in Switzerland and soon perhaps in Europe). I just had a full service done including a clutch pad replacement on mine (after 3 years) and they noted how much better the condition of my car was than the others because of the continued usage. Many of the other cars have all sorts of problems (seals, etc) because they are essentially being neglected. Make sure you redo your tires (with the new Michelins) fairly regularly as well (again, the mechanics can easily check them).
There's one in the UK with 90k+ klms on it, and mine has 64k klms so you need to keep driving

Quick Reply: When to do engine-out maintenance