Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be careful on GMG exhausts for Carrera GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Disappointing. I've had a very good, positive experience with GMG and my GT4 and they are very active in the local PCA club here in S. CA.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:52 PM
grahal09
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a CGT exhaust installed on my car by GMG back in the day....and I'm still waiting 3 years later for my stock exhaust to be "returned." Was told it was thrown away, and then told by an ex employee that it was not and my personal property was in fact sold..... True or not, it was my private property and nobody had any right to throw it away or sell it.

Still waiting on a resolution, but I certainly won't find any GMG products on my vehicles anytime in the future!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:31 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

^Wow! They have no shame.. Didn't they get called out last on the 991 forum for raping some guy on his yearly service?
Old 04-21-2017, 01:35 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

YIKES!!! Selling used parts that belong to someone is a no no. When its a 5K+ original CGT exhaust its criminal.....
Old 04-21-2017, 02:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I would take the car to a race shop and have them install the GMG exhaust (correctly now that you know) and perhaps use heat wrap as an added precaution.

Porsche dealerships are typically not in tune with aftermarket installations nor want the liability. (I do not use them for anything but stock items.)

Given that the exhaust came with a poorly installed mount, no instructions and cost the owner a bunch of money/labour at his local dealership, I would expect some money back for compensation.

In the end, if the owner was into the exhaust for GMG "cost" plus shipping, then that would be reasonable.
That way, the owner could get past the money and time currently wasted and enjoy the exhaust system for dealer cost.
OR, he could chose to quick resale it at cost and only be out shipping.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:35 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

^It's a CGT... not your avg GT car.. Some shops get to big and forget who got them there.. ie: the People who buy there products. If they are willing to forget a CGT owner, do they really care about the smaller guys?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:28 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

This is not the first and not the last bad experience with GMG that dozens of people had. They are very close to my house and I choose to go to BBI where I know my cars will be taken care of properly and I'll be treated fairly.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:30 AM
Larryf
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If GMG is dumb enough to take a huge $hit on grahal09, well not much else to say other than run for the hills....
Old 04-24-2017, 04:56 AM
maxt
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I see a pattern here...well hopefully this will be of use of future potential customers!
Old 04-24-2017, 07:14 AM
908/3fan
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by grahal09
I had a CGT exhaust installed on my car by GMG back in the day....and I'm still waiting 3 years later for my stock exhaust to be "returned." Was told it was thrown away, and then told by an ex employee that it was not and my personal property was in fact sold..... True or not, it was my private property and nobody had any right to throw it away or sell it.

Still waiting on a resolution, but I certainly won't find any GMG products on my vehicles anytime in the future!
If i were you i would ask my local Porsche Dealer for the cost of the brand new oem exhaust system of my CGT and i would send it to them.....for a replace.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:33 PM
991gtR
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well i'm gonna take my GMG exhaust off my cgt too. Not for the fact that i think the gmg exhaust loses the howl of of the stock system, , i will take it off because the owners business practices are shady.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:47 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by grahal09

Graham, let's make sure you include all the facts. Your exhaust was replaced by Fabryce (my ex business partner) who stored it somewhere in our shop. Over a year later, and after he was fired, you were calling to collect it. Fabryce had stored it himself and it was no where to be found. I am not sure what you expected when you called over a year later to ask for your stock exhaust, are we a storage facility for you? Did you not think to contact Fabryce directly when I let him go about getting your stock exhaust back? And didn't he give you an incredible deal on that exhaust too Graham? It's amazing that you would expect us to store your exhaust for you with no communication at all for over 12 months and then just demand to have it back.

I have a 30K sqft shop and 16 employees with over 40+ cars in the shop at a time. There is no way I can keep track of every stock OEM part that we replace with our own parts or another aftermarket company's products. It's stated very clear in our front reception area that the customer is required to pick up their original parts within a week after their car is completed and picked to avoid this exact situation.

Now I tried to reach out to you to explain this and then again tried to meet you at Thermal when we were both there, but to no avail. Then about 3 weeks ago I reached out to you and thanked you for loaning HRE your 918 to have on display at our Open House which I appreciated. No response from you as my message told you I would try to work something out.....

Anyone on this forum who has met me in person and had a chance to talk to me knows that I am a pretty stand up guy......now sometimes things do go as everyone plans and then everyone seems to have an opinion. I always have my email and signature on this forum so people know how to get a hold of me.

In the end, after some major changes 2 years ago and bringing in new staff, our customer service has definitely improved as I have an amazing staff in place. Where before we had some issues, now we work through them and I don't hide behind a keyboard like many other business owners or individuals in the industry.

Regarding the CGT exhaust issued in the UK, we have NEVER had a dealer have an issue installing one of our exhausts and I did try to reach out to him and will do so again on Monday.....

Much more to say here as people like to take cheap shots but I am going to let those go and address the individuals directly who want to reach out to me or want me to reach out to them.

Regards,

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
The following users liked this post:
997turbocab (12-15-2022)
Old 04-27-2017, 09:48 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
This is not the first and not the last bad experience with GMG that dozens of people had. They are very close to my house and I choose to go to BBI where I know my cars will be taken care of properly and I'll be treated fairly.
Please share with me or give me your contact info as I would love to hear of the "dozens" who have had a bad experience.....
Old 04-28-2017, 06:42 PM
porscharu
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's amazing that you would expect us to store your exhaust for you with no communication at all for over 12 months and then just demand to have it back.

I have a 30K sqft shop and 16 employees with over 40+ cars in the shop at a time. There is no way I can keep track of every stock OEM part that we replace with our own parts or another aftermarket company's products. It's stated very clear in our front reception area that the customer is required to pick up their original parts within a week after their car is completed and picked to avoid this exact situation.
Just for reference most OEM's require holding a replaced part for inspection for six months max in a warranty situation. Some only require digital photos uploaded as proof of condition. One would be amazed at the amount of space needed to house just six months of warranty replacements, and the time it takes to cycle and purge. I can sympathize, been in your shoes.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:15 PM
amerifrikaner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a local SoCal resident and had one of my previous cars at GMG for some work. Great service by James, Andrew and Sergei (before he passed away). I'm just one datapoint, but the team went the extra mile to get my car taken care of.

I also considered buying a Cayman Clubsport through GMG for racing but decided against it given family/work life balance. James really put in the time and effort to take me through their program.

Would say these guys are pretty standup and would not hesitate to race with them in the future.

Quick Reply: Be careful on GMG exhausts for Carrera GT