Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did the CGT owners get privileges like the 918 owners?

Old 02-22-2017, 11:55 PM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Did the CGT owners get privileges like the 918 owners?

Just wondering if the CGT owners got privileges back in the old days when they purchased it. I just know the 918 owners are getting GT cars at MSRP.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:35 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope. Four forty-eight three hundred. Came with luggage and a briefcase.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:47 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Old days? Lol. No they got a fking epic car and didn't need bribery.
Plus Porsche had like what, gt3 and gt2 they just introduced not the long line of "specials" they do now.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:11 PM
Me&You
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Old days? Lol. No they got a fking epic car and didn't need bribery.
Plus Porsche had like what, gt3 and gt2 they just introduced not the long line of "specials" they do now.
Plus, the original CGT buyers took a kick in the nuts on resale (early on, even if not realized).

That's part of the story that often gets overlooked when it comes to the VIP program with the 918s - a lot of those same buyers had already been through it with the CGT and the uncertainty of future values. Hard to begrudge the guys that took a shot on the 918 and now are reaping the (what were uncertain) rewards.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:53 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Zhang
Just wondering if the CGT owners got privileges back in the old days when they purchased it?

Uhhh ... NO

The trials and tribulations of CGT customers from 2003-2005 resulted in slow early sales of the 918. The PCNA CGT customers were hardest hit. The ordering process was constricted and painful due to poor communications and cross-boundary warfare between PAG and PCNA. European customers could order paint-to-sample from early days while USA customers could not until PCNA/PAG relented for model year 2005. Same for any of what one might call CXX-type options at all. My paint-to-sample color of Signal Yellow (#114) was approved in concept by Spring of 2004, but I couldn't get the car produced until January 2005.

But, ordering difficulties were only the beginning. Porsche AG came up against a NHTSA air-bag regulation change for model year 2006 cars and tried to get a wavier for the CGT. The wavier request failed. So, PAG/PCNA decided to import all of MY2006 CGT's in 2005. That meant that 2005 and 2006 scheduled cars came in in one year, 2005. Therefore, 2005 was a "glut year" with twice as many cars imported as the marketing forecast demanded. There was vast oversupply and prices plummeted for unsold cars as well as pre-owned cars. At one point in 2006-2008 a CGT with an MSRP of $448K could be had for as little as $225K used in perfect condition. PCNA was helping push down prices by offering "trunk money" to dealers to help them unload unsold CGT inventory far below MSRP.

Faithful Porsche customers that placed CGT orders early on were quite apprehensive when the 918 came along and related their concerns to Porsche.

918 sales were so slow that the VIP program was invented to close the gap.

Last edited by W8MM; 02-26-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:21 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Invented by a knee jerk reaction never goes smooth.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 02-28-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:09 AM
swb3
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
918 sales were so slow that the VIP program was invented to close the gap.
Spot on! After the initial depositors the program was selling the cars slow as molasses. First they tried offering us 997 turbo's which were on their last legs with the 991 coming out, that got a few. Then they were allowing press to drive cars as it was developed and I don't believe that gave people a lot of confidence the car would be what it was promised. Add to the backdrop that there were a few Fisker Karmas burning up homes they stayed in, I was scared to death of that piece of the equation. I voiced those concerns repeatedly and spoke with a number of people developing the car...to get a little more comfort. In the end when they rolled out the VIP program it was a no brainer, interestingly I'm not sure how well everyone understood the true value of it and in fact I don't think the dealers sold that element of the program for what it was worth. In the end I rationalized two things, first of all Porsche could not let this project fail, even if the cars would require a lot of retrofitting, a failing halo car as the brand popularity was on the rise was not an option. And if nothing else, the VIP program was worth this price of entry.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:12 AM
swb3
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Invented by a knee jerk reaction never goes smooth.
X2
Old 03-01-2017, 08:26 AM
richk
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

And you create artificial markets on cars like the 911R. I really want a 911R but there is no way in gods green earth I will pay 200k plus over msrp. The last time I paid 100k pus over sticker was 2008 on the 430 scud and that didn't have a happy ending.

Porsche is alienating people like me and I don't blame 918 owners for flipping and making a profit...they took the risk. Good news is lambo and mac are putting out some great cars and I just ordered one at sticker.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:14 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 860 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by swb3
Spot on! After the initial depositors the program was selling the cars slow as molasses. First they tried offering us 997 turbo's which were on their last legs with the 991 coming out, that got a few. Then they were allowing press to drive cars as it was developed and I don't believe that gave people a lot of confidence the car would be what it was promised. Add to the backdrop that there were a few Fisker Karmas burning up homes they stayed in, I was scared to death of that piece of the equation. I voiced those concerns repeatedly and spoke with a number of people developing the car...to get a little more comfort. In the end when they rolled out the VIP program it was a no brainer, interestingly I'm not sure how well everyone understood the true value of it and in fact I don't think the dealers sold that element of the program for what it was worth. In the end I rationalized two things, first of all Porsche could not let this project fail, even if the cars would require a lot of retrofitting, a failing halo car as the brand popularity was on the rise was not an option. And if nothing else, the VIP program was worth this price of entry.
+1
That's how I felt when I made the leap. Everyone was writing Porsche off at the time. Heavy weight, complicated hybrid system, etc etc. Porsche proved them wrong in the end. Even Mr. Pagani looks at the 918 as the benchmark in the sector.
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2017, 01:19 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Originally Posted by richk
And you create artificial markets on cars like the 911R. I really want a 911R but there is no way in gods green earth I will pay 200k plus over msrp. The last time I paid 100k pus over sticker was 2008 on the 430 scud and that didn't have a happy ending.

Porsche is alienating people like me and I don't blame 918 owners for flipping and making a profit...they took the risk. Good news is lambo and mac are putting out some great cars and I just ordered one at sticker.
It's just the way the game is played. I really want a F12 TDF, but I can't justify paying 500K over sticker for one of those either. After buying cars from various manufacturers over the years, I learned my lesson that there are only 2 manufacturers that have consistently produced great cars: Ferrari and Porsche. I'm now working towards getting on their VIP list with Ferrari.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:30 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by unotaz
It's just the way the game is played. I really want a F12 TDF, but I can't justify paying 500K over sticker for one of those either. After buying cars from various manufacturers over the years, I learned my lesson that there are only 2 manufacturers that have consistently produced great cars: Ferrari and Porsche. I'm now working towards getting on their VIP list with Ferrari.
What!

I gave up my 4th TDF spot for Aventador SV as soon as I did told a friend he ended up taking my slot and got one - tell me they aren't going for 500k over that's insanity.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:33 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by richk

Feel the same way. My FF was in the shop had error codes galore turned out it needed a battery which I find odd then they state needs to be driven. My reply drove it every day but for when the codes went on and your weeks of picking it up and returning it.

Then tried to get an RS finally paid over but that's fine it's Voo Doo turns out Porsche is as if not more difficult than Ferrari. Two dealers locally sold now there is one who recently put an RS up for auction.

Agree Mclaren and Lambo are making things very appealing.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:44 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with unotaz. Porsche and Ferrari with all due respect to the other manufacturers, are the top two car brands that makes specialty cars which provides amazing and impeccable performance. Thus the premiums associated with it.

There is a F12tdf available in California (i.e. DuPontRegistry.com) where the asking price is $1.45M on a $500K car.

That's just the way it is. You pay to play and no one is forced to do so.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by unotaz
What!

I gave up my 4th TDF spot for Aventador SV as soon as I did told a friend he ended up taking my slot and got one - tell me they aren't going for 500k over that's insanity.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:12 PM
unotaz
Drifting

What!

Yup, ask around. They are selling for 1.2-1.3 million.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did the CGT owners get privileges like the 918 owners?