Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New CGT owner Clutch Question

Old 05-21-2017, 06:53 AM
John An
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CGT owner Clutch Question

Hello everyone just bought the 2005 CGT(6955Kms) last week and willdelivery to my home next week, never drive CGT before, want ask any experience of CGT clutch, even any other experience of this car

Last edited by John An; 05-21-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:19 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

[QUOTE=John An;14199977]Hello everyone just bought the 2005 CGT(6955Kms) last week and willdelivery to my home next week, never drive CGT before, want ask any experience of CGT clutch, even any other experience of this car

Congrats!

It's simple let the clutch engage (even on a hill) don't touch the gas pedal.

Warming up takes some time I often skip 2nd gear going from 1st to 3rd.

Fresh set of tires or at least make sure they are updated as well as all other mechanical systems.

Enjoy!
Old 05-21-2017, 02:08 PM
John An
4th Gear

[QUOTE=nuvolari612;14200078]
Originally Posted by John An
Hello everyone just bought the 2005 CGT(6955Kms) last week and willdelivery to my home next week, never drive CGT before, want ask any experience of CGT clutch, even any other experience of this car

Congrats!

It's simple let the clutch engage (even on a hill) don't touch the gas pedal.

Warming up takes some time I often skip 2nd gear going from 1st to 3rd.

Fresh set of tires or at least make sure they are updated as well as all other mechanical systems.

Enjoy!

Thanks I was bought it from Porsche dealership Think shluld be all updated, the tires still was in 2005, will oder new tires for it
Old 05-21-2017, 10:55 PM
Allan-BilletDesign
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I hate the feel of the transmission shifting out of 1st when cold. I always skip second as well. Once all is warmed up, its amazing..
Old 05-28-2017, 08:33 PM
Black Shadow
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More on the clutch when stopped on a hill; with the right foot on the brake, slowly release the clutch until you see the tach needle dip slightly, then slowly release the brakes and carefully release the clutch. That works on flat, hills and very steep hills with no roll-back. It is not the fastest start, but when done correctly no embarrassing engine stalls.
I live at the bottom of a hill that has a stop light and my car has just over 10k miles on the original clutch with very little wear. Treat it right and the clutch will last a long time.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:02 PM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't try to be the first one at a red light - I use to pull behind another car rather than taking the 1st spot at an empty lane. It gives you a few more seconds to take your time on the clutch without feeling like the guy behind you is saying "what's this guy's problem, go!"... hahaha! Ah, I remember those days!
Eventually, you learn the sweet spot where the clutch actually engages and how slowly you need to let it out to that point to where you hear the slight auto blip in the throttle. Then it's go time.
Accept the fact that you might get discouraged or embarrassed a few times initially, but know that eventually it will become second nature. Once under way, get ready for a feeling that know other car in this world will give you.
Oh yes, remember to relax while driving... breathe.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:15 PM
John An
4th Gear

Originally Posted by MikeGT
Don't try to be the first one at a red light - I use to pull behind another car rather than taking the 1st spot at an empty lane. It gives you a few more seconds to take your time on the clutch without feeling like the guy behind you is saying "what's this guy's problem, go!"... hahaha! Ah, I remember those days!
Eventually, you learn the sweet spot where the clutch actually engages and how slowly you need to let it out to that point to where you hear the slight auto blip in the throttle. Then it's go time.
Accept the fact that you might get discouraged or embarrassed a few times initially, but know that eventually it will become second nature. Once under way, get ready for a feeling that know other car in this world will give you.
Oh yes, remember to relax while driving... breathe.
Haha, yes when its green I always late afew sacounds between others and some people use horn remind me gogo, I never try start at hill I think I should one foot on clutch one foot on break its that right?
Old 05-29-2017, 04:18 PM
John An
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Black Shadow
More on the clutch when stopped on a hill; with the right foot on the brake, slowly release the clutch until you see the tach needle dip slightly, then slowly release the brakes and carefully release the clutch. That works on flat, hills and very steep hills with no roll-back. It is not the fastest start, but when done correctly no embarrassing engine stalls.
I live at the bottom of a hill that has a stop light and my car has just over 10k miles on the original clutch with very little wear. Treat it right and the clutch will last a long time.
I never try stop and srart when its hill, a little afraid the car behand me
Old 06-02-2017, 01:10 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

John,
You fill find yourself having to stop on a hill someday, so master it. Yes, work the brake and clutch - NO GAS.
Find yourself a lonely hill in a residential area and try it. Trust the car - if done right, it will do what it's supposed to do each time. Again, first practice on a flat road first - let the clutch out slowly and note the distance from the fully engage point (clutch against the floor) to the point where the car starts to roll forward (I call this the sweet spot. Eventually, you will know it well and can let the clutch out quickly to this point, and then slowly where it starts to move the car forward). Do this several times until you get a good feeling as to the exact distance and point to where the car is going to move.
Drive over to the hill and bring the car to a stop. Right foot on the brake, left on the clutch. While keeping your foot on the brake, bring the clutch out to the sweet spot. Gently release most of the brake pressure as you continue to slowly let out the clutch (simultaneously). Even IF the car rolls back a little, don't panic. Just continue slowly releasing the clutch and the car will stop rolling and amazingly start to move forward - as this is happening, your right foot can already be resting on the gas, but don't give it even the slightest amount of gas until the clutch is all the way out, the car is rolling forward, and you hear the little auto blip (all of this will happen at the same time). Then give it some gas and you're off.
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!
Old 06-03-2017, 01:34 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

MikeGT is giving you some great advice here. In Europe, a lot of stop lights go yellow briefly before green, btw, so that helps. You will actually be able to position your left foot right at the point of engagement without even thinking about it (it will take some time). Now here is one other piece of advice and I am not sure it applies to all Carrera GTs (mine was 2006). The clutch learns you as well -- and, in this case, the former owner. You must remove the battery power from the entire car to reset this so it will learn from scratch from you. Go to a Porsche dealer officially qualified to work on the CGT as this is much more complicated than it sounds since the battery is buried deeply in the car (it takes almost a grand to replace a bad battery in large part due to this). After that, practice, practice and practice (like you were learning the clutch for the first time). Soon, it will become immensely more intuitive and less frightening. As MikeGT wisely said, someday you will end up stopped on a hill. Well, in Europe, it happens a lot. Once you do master it, you will occasionally still stall it, so don't get disappointed there (learn to restart it very quickly). On a steep hill, btw, the anti-stall function leaps into action and the car suddenly jolts forward -- like someone else has taken over the gas pedal -- and this is without applying any gas. So make sure you have enough space in front of you as this happens. I stalled mine maybe 10 times on a sloped gas station in Switzerland on my first day of driving the car -- you are not alone. Lastly, the worst angle to start on is not the steepest ones, it's somewhere in the middle -- I think because it takes the anti-stall system a little longer to kick in and you are tempted to really start putting on the gas. Best wishes! Cheers
Old 07-01-2017, 02:29 PM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone used the handbrake to hold the car ?
Slowly release it when going forward.

I do this on steep hills with normal stick cars.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:31 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by lightguy
Does anyone used the handbrake to hold the car ?
Slowly release it when going forward.

I do this on steep hills with normal stick cars.
Nope.

Just don't touch the gas the clutch and it's throttle system does all the work regardless of slope.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:47 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I still stall the damned thing multiple times trying to not use gas in first gear
Old 07-03-2017, 09:56 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Sad.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:06 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by raclaims
I still stall the damned thing multiple times trying to not use gas in first gear
Try moving your seat forward - turn on some music chill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New CGT owner Clutch Question