Sponsored by:

Seriously considering a Singer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 12:48 AM
RupeTN
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Seriously considering a Singer?

I have read through a couple of the older threads (swb3, anonymous918, supperquant) and didn't want to hijack those, so I thought I would post....

Been spending the past few months deciding what to do and which direction to go. Really wanted an R but that didn't happen, no 918 in the garage. And I am truly happy for those who will get one. Have been seriously considering paying the extra "penalty" and getting an RS. If I could find a PTS RS in Gulf Blue that was around 100k over, I might do that. (has to be gulf blue mostly for sentimental reasons, first car was a '74 light blue VW Super Beetle, took me to CA, through school and getting my business started) An RS or Singer in a similar color would be a nice bookend to the Bug.
Once I started to get in that price range of a PTS, then I realized a Singer may not be totally out of the question...the bump up from an RS is a significant stretch but doable.

I've had a few conversations with the guys there (mostly Glenn) and considering flying back to LA (where I used to live/work for 30+ yrs) for a visit to their shop. Most likely would do a 3.8, wouldn't be tracking the car.

What really appeals to me is the level of thoughtfulness, purpose and detail. I tend to really enjoy the design and details most folks would miss, smart yet subtle to some degree. And yeah I know, subtle is not a word I would associate with an RS. But it does have a sense of purpose.

So, better get to the point. I know the RS and the Singer are two different animals. And I know on this forum there are guys who have both. I can't have both right now, but that's okay.
Is one a clear favorite over the other or are they just too different to really compare?

Something else I should be thinking about or looking at ?

thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:57 AM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Great choice, keep us posted
Old 06-21-2016, 01:01 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

As you know, the Singer is a work of art. It's much more special than a run of the mill RS...even an R. It's specific and a 1 of 1 for a singular customer.

If I could swing it, I'd do it.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:28 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Singers a custom made by hand Katana. A GT3RS is a german made 9mm handgun, both great tools, one is an elegant weapon, one is a perfect weapon, choose one or both! lifes too short, buy the Singer book and look at their work
Old 06-21-2016, 09:52 AM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Last year at the local Nord Stern Porsche swap meet there were two 918s a carrera gt and one or two p1s. Cool cars but nothing captivated my attention like the two singers sitting nearby. Exquisite. They could have and maybe should have been the only cars there and it would have been just as worth the visit.

And I just read on wiki that the founder Rob Dickinson is the brother of Iron Maiden lead singer Bruce Dickinson. Which, to me, if true, is the coolest cool factor ever. If Porsches had teenage years, they'd have Singer posters on their bedroom walls...right next to a poster of Eddie.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:26 PM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you're serious about a Singer, consider a RUF. Singer is fabulous for the quality of the build and attention to detail, but there's nothing interesting about the mechanics. RUF is a true manufacturer with more than 40 years of research and experience improving upon everything Porsche does.

If nothing else, I think it's a more valid compare and contrast than Singer vs. the RS.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:48 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a gulf blue GTRS for about 300k. If you do go the Singer route can you keep us posted on the whole process? It's not just the car that's fascinating, but everything that goes into getting the car into your garage. Either way, gl.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:59 PM
RupeTN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marvinta
I saw a gulf blue GTRS for about 300k.
The one on eBay just dropped it's price to 329, and that's the only one I know about. And it is spec'd pretty much they way I would. Are there others?

Well.....this is not easy. Never really considered a Ruf only because I think of high dollar Turbos and Specials. Maybe I should revisit.

Now that the RS on eBay is getting awfully close to the arbitrary number I had set for myself, I feel this sense of artificial urgency - if I don't make a decision right this second I'm going to miss out on something really, really great.

But I'm old enough to realize that things work out they way they should. I wish I could squeeze in a quick trip to LA and visit Singer to see in person before the RS gets away. Just don't think I can get away for another 2-3 weeks and the RS on eBay is getting down in the range where it should be gone soon.

Thanks for comments and feedback guys, I appreciate a sounding board.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:41 PM
Marvinta
Pro

The one on ebay is the one I was thinking about. If you offered them your price you may well be surprised by the response. I've been obsessed with Gulf Blue since I saw the 981 Spyder specced out in it in France.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...lue-cloud.html

To the point where I'm trying to figure out how to repaint my 987.2 Spyder the color. Honestly, Singer's are truly special. In your shoes I'm not sure what I would do but I think I would be awefully tempted to spec out a Gulf Blue Singer Targa. Keep us posted and good luck.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:34 PM
Cortwagner
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Singer's Sing

They are amazing cars, period. I have been fortunate to drive and test many of them on tack and on the streets. They tick every box perfectly. Light, nimble, sound great, fast as hell, handle amazing,fit and finish is on another level, sexier than most super models and way more reliable, lol.

Seriously, people always chuckle at me when I tell them how much they are but I can personally tell you, they are serious value and always will be. You can't replicate the character of these cars and I have driven and owned almost everything, Singer just does it in a way that nobody else has done it.

God Speed.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:52 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Could someone link the ebay singer? I can't find it.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:20 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Could someone link the ebay singer? I can't find it.

we are talking about this gt3 rs, not a Singer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...m=252419461085
Old 06-23-2016, 07:49 PM
RupeTN
Rennlist Member

Where my emotional attachment to Gulf Blue started.....
What the hell was I thinking with white boots ??!! WHITE BOOTS !! circa 1975
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2016, 08:07 PM
RupeTN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cortwagner
They are amazing cars, period. I have been fortunate to drive and test many of them on tack and on the streets. They tick every box perfectly. Light, nimble, sound great, fast as hell, handle amazing,fit and finish is on another level, sexier than most super models and way more reliable, lol.
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to sit down this weekend and find a day soon to get out there to see them in person. At this point I feel that's what I need to do before making a decision. I know what I would get with the RS, a Singer I can only guess.

Maybe the RS on eBay will be gone, but there is always something else.

From what I have heard (just form one person with experience) is the Singer "experience" was really good - good guys to deal with, good communication, and delivery was easy and on time for the most part. I've had a bad experience on a custom build before and don't want to repeat my past.
Few years ago I had a Defender 110 built - basically brand new with upgrades from the ground up - new Td5, new interior, all new sheet metal, etc.etc. Ended up being close to a 200k build. What was originally going to be 18 months ended up being over 3 1/2 years. Painful. Just was disappointing on a few different levels. Drove it for about 1,200 miles and sold it.
Still have my '97 D90 (AA Yellow) I bought new though. Only has about 15k miles on it. It's a keeper!
Old 06-25-2016, 09:56 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

If it was simply a matter of an engine, by the end of the fall, the 450+ HP, 4 liter, 2-valve, normally aspirated engine on which we have been working for almost a year should be in production form together with a new Bosch ECU and can readily be put into any 964 (what's underneath the Singer) or 993. Additionally, work is moving nicely forward on 4-valve engine that is being designed to fit into any 964, 993 or G model.

Quick Reply: Seriously considering a Singer?