Sponsored by:

Carrera GT at the Nordschleife

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 05:30 AM
maxt
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Carrera GT at the Nordschleife

Well...what can I say...first time at the Ring for me with the Carrera GT and I can definitely say that it is one of the best car I have ever experienced there! So stable, nimble and with the right amount of power...perfectly balanced and with an incredible braking feel. It's just unbelievable to think this project it is now approaching 15 years and it does feel so actual and modern.

I had also my 991 RS there and it got used only when the CGT had to cool down...I thought it would have been the opposite but ended up emptying 2 full tanks and going through a set of rear tyres in one day!

Little video of one of the first laps there, quite a bit of traffic at the beginning but thankfully it will clear up! Clearly not about lap times but more getting to know the car around there!

Old 10-04-2016, 06:13 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Max I watched your vids on Instagram. So awesome.

What tires do you have on your CGT? I'm in Germany right now for tourist delivery of my M5 and trying to get a day at Spa before I leave
Old 10-04-2016, 09:47 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Impressive run both car and driver.

CGT shows it's point and shoot precision with plenty of hp.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:59 AM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

Thanks for sharing and great driving! For the most part it looked like at the limit the car was under steering just slightly. Do you know what setting your rear sway bar is in? Soft, medium?
It's so cool when you're sitting in the cabin and all you really hear are the mechanicals and very little exhaust note. Not the case outside the car or when you have the top removed. Great video!
Old 10-04-2016, 11:00 AM
maxt
Racer

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Max I watched your vids on Instagram. So awesome.

What tires do you have on your CGT? I'm in Germany right now for tourist delivery of my M5 and trying to get a day at Spa before I leave
Thanks CJ!! Currently running Michelin Pilot Super Sport, great road tyre and incredible improvement compared to the old original fitment tyres!
This will go to Spa towards the end of October...another of my personal favorite! Are you coming to London as well as originally planned?

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Impressive run both car and driver.

CGT shows it's point and shoot precision with plenty of hp.

Thanks for sharing.
100%, at that pace (which I reckon is around 80% of what it can be done) it's incredibly precise and manageable!

Originally Posted by E-Man
Thanks for sharing and great driving! For the most part it looked like at the limit the car was under steering just slightly. Do you know what setting your rear sway bar is in? Soft, medium?
It's so cool when you're sitting in the cabin and all you really hear are the mechanicals and very little exhaust note. Not the case outside the car or when you have the top removed. Great video!
Rear sway is in soft if I remember correctly...did a couple of laps with roof off and in the slow parts of the track, where aero noises where not interfering with the exhaust melody, it was like a dream!!
Old 10-04-2016, 11:27 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by maxt
Thanks CJ!! Currently running Michelin Pilot Super Sport, great road tyre and incredible improvement compared to the old original fitment tyres!
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I've always wondered how much time the improved tires would cut from Walter's current lap time of record of 7:28. Any idea?
Old 10-04-2016, 11:32 AM
maxt
Racer

I'd say a good 5-6 seconds...
Old 10-04-2016, 11:39 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Great video, thanks for sharing. Loved the slight drift at the 9:30 mark, I'm sure it looked great to the on lookers coming out of the corner.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:08 PM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 320 Likes on 92 Posts

Fantastic Max, the best car on the best track, but of course I'm biassed!

Name:  CGTring3-1.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  80.2 KB

Name:  CGTring5.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  105.8 KB
Old 10-04-2016, 01:02 PM
maxt
Racer

Originally Posted by RS Clubsport
Fantastic Max, the best car on the best track, but of course I'm biassed!

Hi John!! I still remember the lap I did with my old 997 GT3 Mk2 following you (actually "trying to keep up with you" would be more appropriate) at the Ring in 2010...since then I always dreamed to come back there with a Carrera GT of my own, you definitely started a bug since that day and for that I have to deeply thank you!

Old 10-04-2016, 01:13 PM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 320 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi Max

Happy days!

The combination of the GT and the 'ring really is the ultimate, good to see it being well exercised and great driving!

Now that there are some better options for tyres with Supersport or Cup2 it really unlocks the potential of the car.

I'm envious of what looked like a fantastic couple of days at the 'ring, I'm driving to Ascari in November in mine as it's only done a couple of hundred miles this year, really looking forward to it.

All the best
John
Old 10-04-2016, 11:14 PM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 52 Posts

Max I watched this evening on the big screen TV, volume up high, with my 11 week year old son on my lap watching every turn and shift. Awesome stuff, thank you for sharing.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:11 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

This is my favorite photo you posted Max... I'm assuming nothing more than some extra brown in the seats as collateral damage?
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2016, 05:37 AM
maxt
Racer

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This is my favorite photo you posted Max... I'm assuming nothing more than some extra brown in the seats as collateral damage?
Haha, yes indeed! The guy in the GTR is a friend and he knew I would have drifted there as I often do that during cool down laps (I'm a bit childish, I know! )

That part of the track is one of the very few where you could do that in relative safety...it's a second gear chicane and if you spun it's almost impossible to hit the barrier with a dry track!

Old 10-06-2016, 05:09 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I've always wondered how much time the improved tires would cut from Walter's current lap time of record of 7:28. Any idea?
I remember some calculation somewhere where they thought 10-12 second for supersports.

But lets see what happens when they slap on some N-spec Cup2 tires on. Thats what all the cars with similar HP are running today.

I bet if we saw another go at it on track with those tires we could get awfully close to that 7min mark.....

Quick Reply: Carrera GT at the Nordschleife