Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought CGT today. Any advice or tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 05:42 AM
Rainmaker 388
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought CGT today. Any advice or tips?

Hello folks,
I woke up this morning and had zero intention of buying any car. Anyway, went to the local shop to check if there's been any progress on the Underground Racing Lamborghini they're trying to sell for me. Ended up trading it in on the Carrera GT they had on the floor.

I've had lots of experience with high end sports cars, but never with something as "collectible" or as rare as a CGT. Is there anything any of you guys have learned from owning them that you can pass along? Not from a driving technique standpoint, but from a "you need to watch out for this" or "make sure you check this or do this pretty often", or "you desperately need to buy this particular accessory because it makes life so much easier". Thanks for any help.

Also if anyone has any great ideas of how to break it to my wife that I bought it. That would be helpful too. Haha
Old 07-27-2016, 07:03 AM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainmaker 388
Hello folks,
I woke up this morning and had zero intention of buying any car. Anyway, went to the local shop to check if there's been any progress on the Underground Racing Lamborghini they're trying to sell for me. Ended up trading it in on the Carrera GT they had on the floor.

I've had lots of experience with high end sports cars, but never with something as "collectible" or as rare as a CGT. Is there anything any of you guys have learned from owning them that you can pass along? Not from a driving technique standpoint, but from a "you need to watch out for this" or "make sure you check this or do this pretty often", or "you desperately need to buy this particular accessory because it makes life so much easier". Thanks for any help.

Also if anyone has any great ideas of how to break it to my wife that I bought it. That would be helpful too. Haha
Congratulations. How about some pictures? Couple of things. Make sure you have a trickle charger and do not leave the wing up for an extended period of time when the car is not being used.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Larryf
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm assuming you went through all the service records and had a external PPI done? Because I can tell you from experience that although service records are good, a PPI is absolutely necessary from a Porsche Tech that knows these cars!
Old 07-27-2016, 09:24 PM
991gtR
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats . pics. Just remember there is no Auto blip XD .
Old 07-27-2016, 11:38 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Diamonds or gold, your choice. Check her cell phone for divorce atty's #s for a few months
Old 08-03-2016, 05:41 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

You just march right in there mister and tell her the news like a boss.

Lay down the law and tell her to make you a ham sammy.

Then hand over the 5 carat solitaire diamond ring.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:41 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
You just march right in there mister and tell her the news like a boss.

Lay down the law and tell her to make you a ham sammy.

Then hand over the 5 carat solitaire diamond ring.
BAHAHA

"I write the checks babe you just make me a sammy and smile"
Old 08-04-2016, 08:26 AM
ByeEnzo
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 78 Posts

Reminds me kinda of a Doors song...."woke up this morning and I got myself a beer..."
Except you went big with a CGT. 5 star impulse shopping
Old 08-04-2016, 10:36 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you made a nice move into one of the best collectible Porsche cars that has room to go up. Welcome to RL!
Old 08-05-2016, 11:08 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

May I suggest adding some ethanol fuel stabilizer to the gasoline in the tank, particularly if the car is going to sit for extended periods.

My dealer told me that ethanol has a tendency to rot the internals of the fuel pump. Since the fuel pump is integrated into the gas tank as an entire assembly, one can't just replace the fuel pump by itself. Buying a new gas tank assembly is the only cure.

New tank assemblies were ~$21,000 last quote. I didn't need a new tank. I hope you don't either.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:09 PM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Might want to tell her it is a 12 yr old Porsche and leave it at that. She might think it cost $25 k or something ��
Old 08-05-2016, 06:53 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

My 2c dealing with older cars.. Take a camera and snake it through to gas tank to see if rubber inside is still intact. You don't want it flaking off and getting into fuel system, which happens with our ethanol gas. Literally corrodes the rubber
Old 08-05-2016, 10:44 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This sounds crazy that the tanks and their internals are disposable and not fixable. Can these tanks be taken apart and the pump hoses fixed? If not, maybe an external fuel pump can be adapted. 21K for a tank is otherworldly. If our bad tanks are trash anyway, it's worth a try. (I know, I am still in the steam era where we make a lot of our parts)
Old 08-05-2016, 11:12 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is a link that says indeed these can be repaired. Haven't heard heard cost though.
rennlist.com/forums/porsche-supercars-carrera-gt-918-960/864848-polar-peter-s-carrera-gt-major-service-4.html
Old 08-07-2016, 06:22 PM
TJF
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Hello folks,

I would suggest covering the entire car with film if the paint is in good shape.
The black carbon fiber on entry sills can be buffed out to remove any scratches and covered with film also.
If you plan on ever taken it to the track or just driving it, put Clear Plex on the windshield because the windshields are very expensive.

Michelin's has developed some special tires for the Carrera GT that you may want to look at when they need changing.
Probably already know about short shift 2nd gear when cold.
Watch out for painted lines, drunk bumps, manhole covers on hard acceleration.

Quick Reply: Bought CGT today. Any advice or tips?