Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CGT Clutch, time for new Clutch ?

Old 06-17-2015, 08:51 PM
Axis007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CGT Clutch, time for new Clutch ?

I have been a happy owner on a CGT for almost a year, the car has about 7900 miles. How does one know if it is time for a new clutch ?
1. does the clutch slip in second, third or fourth gear under full acceleration ?
2. my gears grind sometimes in 2nd or third when the gear box is cold, but it does not when the gear box is warm ???
3.( sometimes it is difficult to get into 2nd gear when it is cold ) I was told this is normal ???
4. if the clutch is at the end of its life, and if I decide to sell the vehicle, should I replace the clutch or discount the vehicle for the clutch ? what makes more financial sense ?

thanks in advance

JC
04 CGT
07 GT3
12 458
07 599
86 Countach QV DD
and a **** load of " regular " cars….
Old 06-17-2015, 09:33 PM
RockRoyalty
Track Day

sounds bad to be honest, if you want to sell you defs have to change the clutch and do a service and maybe have someone look at the gearbox since grinding happens often... I would not want to buy your CGT if it was for sale, even if it was $200k below market value simply because selling one without being properly serviced hints that it had a rough life and a not-so-caring owner... it may not be the case, but that's what I'd perceive it to be the case.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:34 PM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

-IMHO clutch should never slip.
-Item 2 seems normal to me, especially second gear.
-I have not personally experienced item 3.
-Personally I think a fully serviced and sorted car is better to sell than one discounted in need of "unknown" service.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:11 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

The clutch slip can be caused by leaking master cylinder even if clutch measures fine. This can happen on low mileage cars. This happened with my car and was discovered as part of full service. Master cylinder was replaced and clutch worked perfectly afterwards. Clutch does *not* need to be changed contrary to post above if it measures ok. Perhaps jimmyrepasi the CGT tech that worked on my car and many other CGT can chime in.

The other things are normal (grinding second when cold etc).
Old 06-17-2015, 11:20 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Cold temps simply go from 1st to 3rd - never had a grind in 3rd.

While having the fluids change - have them read the clutch.

Every buyer is different - a well maintained car that has clutch above 28.5 is perfectly acceptable.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:27 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

When cold, I simply start out in 2nd instead of first (yes, with no throttle). Or, 1st to 3rd works.
Never had a grind in 3rd...
My clutch was slipping when I first bought mine with 800 miles on it (probably due to sitting for 3 years). I burned it in by driving from 2nd though 4rth at full throttle, but shifting at around 4000 rpm's. Only had to do this once. I've never had a problem since (4 years).
Old 06-18-2015, 09:06 AM
jimmyrepasi
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 121 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
The clutch slip can be caused by leaking master cylinder even if clutch measures fine. This can happen on low mileage cars. This happened with my car and was discovered as part of full service. Master cylinder was replaced and clutch worked perfectly afterwards. Clutch does *not* need to be changed contrary to post above if it measures ok. Perhaps jimmyrepasi the CGT tech that worked on my car and many other CGT can chime in.

The other things are normal (grinding second when cold etc).

Thanks Superquant! Hope to see you sunday.
Everything he stated is correct. There are many reasons a clutch may need to be replaced; Wear, contamination(leaking slave cylinder, leaking rear main) or heatspotting/cracking. The clutch can be measured during any annual service but this only rules out wear.

Like MIkegt stated there is a "wear in procedure" printed by Porsche used to wear in a new clutch pack. I have used this in the past to clean up a glazed clutch. Feel free to contact me if your interested in a copy.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:07 PM
Axis007
Intermediate

Jimmy , thank you , i will PM you .
Old 06-19-2015, 07:37 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Axis, these are all normal things and life with a CGT. Nothing to fear. When cold I have had the shifter literally shoot out of 1st trying to change gears its funky when cold. Straight cut gears do these types of things. Just needs to warm up. I let the car idle until warm now and never have issues. Clutch can slip for a variety of reasons but having gone through the process with Jimmy we've learned why. Talk to him hes done more majors than maybe anyone in the country by this point. But have no fear, if the clutch measures fine, then there is zero need to change it. SUPEEQUANT is on point, you may have a leaky master which will cause some glazing if the clutch has fluids on it under power. The "procedure" as I like to call it will clean it right off in 5 seconds without you needing to break down the car. FEAR NOT the CGT community has come a long way in figuring these cars out. Your in the right place.

Nice to see someone else with a DD/CGT pair.... Great choices. Enjoy!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CGT Clutch, time for new Clutch ?