Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

918 at Barrett Jackson

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 11:44 AM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its a global market so you should be looking at how many are left to be delivered globally.

in terms of dealers flipping, take for example the owner of porsche in NYC. He owns 3 dealerships in total. he bought one per dealership and once all customer cars have been delivered his plan is to ask $1mln over MSRP for all 3 one at a time. He bought to flip. His white that he will be flipping is on the floor at his LI dealership. I know of 15 of these dealer flips that will hit the market. I have no idea where prices will go up down or sideways, it is simply a fact that many will be flipped once all customer cars have been delivered.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:14 PM
918man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine is white.

hope he gets a mil over msrp!!!

I would not sell for a mil over msrp!
Old 03-31-2015, 12:51 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
PCNA delivered 94 918s all of last year, another 36 in January. Don't have numbers for Feb/March but a good guess would be around 65 together if not more. That puts 205 or so delivered, leaving 90 left, 3 months to finish delivery of all cars.

As for payment, a lot of dealers wants the customer to pay up front before transport simply because they don't want a million dollar of their own working capital being tied up.

Porsche had asked all the dealer principals to each buy one initially, just to fill up the order book. Some had early allocations and had since taken delivery, others who had late ones which weren't locked yet, and they ended up selling the car when everyone was rushing to buy one late last year. My own dealer's principal actually took 2 allocations, sold the 1st one and just had the 2nd one delivered not too long ago, he is hanging onto the car first before deciding what to do.

For dealer principal cars, those are technically 'sold', but they aren't really in reality, most didn't title the car so they can be considered as dealer inventory. They won't be discounted much, as there isn't much meat on the bone between dealer invoice and MSRP, around 40k-50k or so. The principals are not going to take a loss simply to get rid of one, with current asking price well above a million, they can afford to sit on one for a while to wait for the right buyer.

Some dealers take a loss on selling regular yearly models simply to boost volume and maybe get to the next tier on future car allocations, the 918s aren't like that as there are no next year's model waiting to come in and the 918s sold by each dealer is already set and recorded.
Dealers who grabbed a 918 benefited HUGE on future hard to get allocations.

They also become a tech certified 918 service center another HUGE incentive and the mechanics love that type of stuff.

Dealers also get heavily penalized if their car is exported and Porsche knows it immediately.

So there is a lot to gain and a lot to lose playing the speculating game.

All that aside - it's very nice to know you and others aren't selling and Porsche relies on you guys down the road and for that reason I post as Porsche and their dealers should be put on notice this is a debacle that Porsche should have learned from the CGT.

Porsche customers overall are far different than McLaren P1 and La La as is their dealer network.

I am simply shocked to see how many games are being played with their car of the decade. For car guys it's never about the money it's about the passion as we can all justify anything if we have the means. So form my perspective it's ugly but to others it's business as usual and it is what it is.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:01 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by 918man
mine is white.

I hope he gets 5m over - look at the P1 F1 guys and the factory support.

Would rather see Porsche rolling out the red carpet for owners than opportunist.

It all started off so cool with the trinkets and experiences - now it's a money grab ... either way good for you and the others here.

Not sure if anyone watches Shark Tank but a certain immigrant flipped a La La for a huge amount. Hopefully it gets heavily publicized while he buys peoples companies in less than 5 minutes as he posts on fchat to sell his La La. Shame on Ferrari to allow that guy a slot.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:42 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC123
its a global market so you should be looking at how many are left to be delivered globally.

in terms of dealers flipping, take for example the owner of porsche in NYC. He owns 3 dealerships in total. he bought one per dealership and once all customer cars have been delivered his plan is to ask $1mln over MSRP for all 3 one at a time. He bought to flip. His white that he will be flipping is on the floor at his LI dealership. I know of 15 of these dealer flips that will hit the market. I have no idea where prices will go up down or sideways, it is simply a fact that many will be flipped once all customer cars have been delivered.
Actually, the US market is the primary market to watch as it is one of the few markets in the world where there is extremely low taxes on the car purchased. Dubai is another great place to purchase cars and export them.

Case in point, nobody would try to export a car out of China because you are paying over 100% on taxes. Everyone likes to buy from the US market and export them because at the most, you are paying 9% sales in tax before exportation. Countries in Europe have VAT, which is a lot higher than the US taxes.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:47 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Originally Posted by 918man
mine is white.

I wonder in the long run, how much of premium it would be for Weissach over non-Weissach cars? Also PTS colors over standard colors?
Old 03-31-2015, 02:52 PM
918man
Racer

I think that's a great question.

That's worth debating and would love to hear opinions on that !!!!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:50 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

" There is supposedly a wait list at pcna of 25 deep for 918's"

So how does one get on this list? I would assume there are more than 25 dealer principle cars bought in the usa. I would love to take delivery of a new one to get first dib's on all the hard to get Porsche's in the next 10 years. I am assuming you have to be the 1st owner to get this benefit?
Old 04-01-2015, 12:05 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Originally Posted by jvmax

So how does one get on this list? I would assume there are more than 25 dealer principle cars bought in the usa. I would love to take delivery of a new one to get first dib's on all the hard to get Porsche's in the next 10 years. I am assuming you have to be the 1st owner to get this benefit?
Just let your local dealer know and they will put your name on the list. As of now, there are no 918s available to purchase at MSRP anymore.

There are a few dealer principal's "personal car" but I think they are holding onto the car because the market value on the 918 has increased by quite a bit in the past 5 months. These cars will probably become available at "market value" in 8-12 months time.

One of my friend was able to secure a dealer principal's car at MSRP about 5 months ago before the market went crazy. He was one of the guys who called 20 different dealers right after Porsche made the announcement of the 918 sold out.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:34 AM
COBRA MAN OF UT
Advanced

P1"s are getting 1.8-1.9mil. Where to who? I know of plenty for sale. For less then almost 2mil.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:12 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

How easy or difficult was it to pick up a PTS 918?
Old 04-01-2015, 07:10 AM
918man
Racer

Originally Posted by jvmax

Correcton the vip program. You need to be the first listed owner to be part of Program
Old 04-01-2015, 07:18 AM
boyko23
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

I regularly receive offers from a flipper at around 1.5 mil usd...
Last one was White WS pack... Several days ago...
Old 04-02-2015, 12:21 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This will go for over MSRP easily. Limited production - completely sold out. Wait until they build the last one - probably another price bump then.

An acquaintance has a PTS and has already turned down offers of $350K plus
Old 04-02-2015, 02:47 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by NYC123

Porsche will have his allocations cut faster than he can spend that 1m and if it's global and they get exported he will be writing Porsche a check.

Quick Reply: 918 at Barrett Jackson