Sponsored by:

CGT on jack stands riddle

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:26 AM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default CGT on jack stands riddle

I was going to put the car up for the winter and set her on jack stands to ease pressure on the tires and such. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in such a matter.
Such as: how do I jack it up and with the jack on the jack pad plate, where does the jack stand go? Might be it will lift both sides at once, but that will still leave one point not supported.
This is like the guy crossing a river with a fox, chicken and corn. He has a boat but the boat can only handle him and one other item. If he puts in more, the boat will sink. How does he get across with out the fox eating the chicken or the chicken eating the corn? Oh, he can make as many trips as necessary.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:11 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

Maybe easier just to pump up the pressure on the tires and move it regularly so it doesn't sit on the same spot on the tires all the time.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:05 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pump the tyres

I'd never do that to my Cgt
Old 12-12-2014, 12:08 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

If anything you need to attach the lifter plates to the tub to jack it. But I would never do that.

Just get tire cradles for it. They work wonders for flat spots.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:33 PM
maomao911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think the CGT can sit on jack stands, the car is rear heavy and will tip backwards. When Porsche services the CGT, they have to tie the car to the lift.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:22 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Not being a fan of letting a car sit for 30 days under any circumstances - only way to solve the flat spot.

Still think a car should be exercised - even if it's a mile or so.

http://www.carid.com/race-ramps/race...s-7580032.html
Old 12-12-2014, 07:34 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Not being a fan of letting a car sit for 30 days under any circumstances - only way to solve the flat spot.

Still think a car should be exercised - even if it's a mile or so.

http://www.carid.com/race-ramps/race...s-7580032.html
I like those Flatstoppers, looks like they might be of some good. I agree about exercising monthly or sooner, but I may be away for a few months. I also thought about the tipping rewards, I wonder how much weight or force it takes to tip it back.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:15 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I like these. I think they're brilliant. You can pump them just a little bit,just enough to take weight off the tire without completely leaving the ground.
Do you want to move the car around in the garage,driveway...whatever,without starting it up? Watch this :

Link to the tool in the video description.

ABSOLUTELY NO AFFILIATION WITH THE SELLER!
Old 12-13-2014, 10:05 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeygt
I like those Flatstoppers, looks like they might be of some good. I agree about exercising monthly or sooner, but I may be away for a few months. I also thought about the tipping rewards, I wonder how much weight or force it takes to tip it back.
Tipping - you are a brave man or do you have a car trailer? I store the Challenge car in the trailer and place it on a slight grade.

Go with flat stoppers - as long as it's in a climate controlled and tires have the right or a smidge more pressure you should be fine or tip a friend for a lil TLC
Old 12-14-2014, 12:17 AM
smokeygt
Instructor

Originally Posted by neanicu
I like these. I think they're brilliant. You can pump them just a little bit,just enough to take weight off the tire without completely leaving the ground.
Do you want to move the car around in the garage,driveway...whatever,without starting it up? Watch this :

Wheel Dolly Tool Demonstration / Review - YouTube

Link to the tool in the video description.

ABSOLUTELY NO AFFILIATION WITH THE SELLER!

That is some tool! Pretty neat. Aircraft have a "scoop" type jack that the wheel rides up on and is jacked from under the wheel, kind of a pain to use, this looks much easier. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:23 AM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeygt
That is some tool! Pretty neat. Aircraft have a "scoop" type jack that the wheel rides up on and is jacked from under the wheel, kind of a pain to use, this looks much easier. Thanks for the tip.
Have the neighbor take it for a spin once a week!
Old 12-18-2014, 03:57 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by maomao911
I don't think the CGT can sit on jack stands, the car is rear heavy and will tip backwards. When Porsche services the CGT, they have to tie the car to the lift.
Amen! Jack stands would be a disaster is waiting. All one would have to do is brush the front of the car in an upward direction to put the car on the floor back end first.

Don't do it!
Old 12-18-2014, 11:09 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by W8MM
Amen! Jack stands would be a disaster is waiting. All one would have to do is brush the front of the car in an upward direction to put the car on the floor back end first.

Don't do it!
Ok you guys talked me out of it. I wasn't going to jack it up that much, just enough to take some weight off the tires. Those flat stoppers look intriguing though.

The answer to the man crossing the river with fox, corn and chicken is: When he comes to the river, get in the boat with the chicken; take the chicken over leaving the fox and corn back on shore ( suppose the fox wont eat the corn); drop off the chicken; go back across with an empty boat and pick up the corn; cross the river with the corn and drop it off picking up the chicken and go back across to pick up the fox; pick up the fox and leave the chicken; go across the river and drop off the fox; cross the river alone again and pick up the chicken and then go over again and thereby all three are across and the boat didn't sink. All clear now isn't it?
Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 AM
Richard 911
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tire Cradles

Smokey GT and others,

Have you guys tried Tire Cradles? http://www.tirecradle.com/TireCradles.html

No affiliation other than being a happy customer with many sets for my cars during the "off" season.

Agreed with many other RListers. No way! on the jack stands.

And the dolley things, while I have a set of Go-Jaks, independent of high inflated tire pressure, I would not want the pressure point on the rollers at 4 and 8 o'clock to sit on the tires as well for an extended period of time. I use them for pushing around the garage...

Hope this helps.

RP

Quick Reply: CGT on jack stands riddle