Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Porsche going to make a track only version of the 918 just like the LaFerrari FXX?

Old 12-05-2014, 05:10 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that cost is of very little concern for most if not all FXX racers/owners... If they wanted to race in another series, they would, and many do (458 challenge, etc). It's also not a 1-make racing 'series', but a track day in a very unique car... I also don't know of too many wrecks in the 'XX' cars..

I think it would be great if Porsche made a 918XX, and had a program similar to the XX program... I would imagine they easily have the infrastructure in EU and the US using their PMNA teams, and could tag-along with other 'Cup' events, like the XX program does...

On another forum, I suggested a 'super series', where Ferrari, McLaren and Porsche come together and run 6 or 8 races using the FXX/P1 GTR/918XX... Simple set of rules to adapt existing cars, would result in awesome races to watch...
Old 12-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with a lot of what GT3_racer says. I've had a race licence for 25 years (although a 12 year hiatus between full-time "pro" in my younger days, and doing it for "fun" in the last few(which soon became full on competition!).

I'm struggling to stay motivated with racing, as I've done my time at cold racetracks in the winter, and now looking for something which is more about the experience, or maybe just to pack it in for good (only did one race this year). You still want the racing to be the main part, and like it or not, in any non-pro series you are going to get a mix of the the good, the bad, and the mad. The more money that the racers can afford to throw away, the more skewed this mix is in the wrong direction, in my opinion.

So, you're stuck with racing in a good, competitive series, without much atmosphere, or spending a ton of money to drive good cars and circuits without as many good drivers to compete against. I looked at racing GT3 over the last couple of years, but was to be handicapped by being an older driver but with a reasonable record, so I'd have same ballast as the 'pro' drivers, and would have to find a good novice driver to partner with. Problem then is that the younger, or novice, driver would be as well go with a proper 'pro' as a a partner, rather than race with me who is a has-been! I think, as GT3_r says, I've probably just lost my mojo for it.

Having said all that, track days have also limited appeal, and after a few laps, assuming you can drive and know the circuit already, there's not a lot more to do.

I really have been pondering an attack on the 'ring with my 918 as a hybrid (excuse the pun) between racing and track days. A few familiarisation days over the winter in Nurburg hire-cars and track the 918 at Lepzig on collection. Then, tie in with a ring test day on the way home.

Sub-7, if that's possible, would be a nice start to the ownership experience!
Old 12-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
I really have been pondering an attack on the 'ring with my 918 as a hybrid (excuse the pun) between racing and track days. A few familiarisation days over the winter in Nurburg hire-cars and track the 918 at Lepzig on collection. Then, tie in with a ring test day on the way home.

That sounds like a blast! I hope you do it. I'll even come and crew for you, though I will warn you that my wrenching skills are pretty bad. I'm best suited to changing tires or filling the cool suit box.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:24 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

The FXX-K on track video :

Old 12-08-2014, 09:48 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

[QUOTE=neanicu;11859672]The FXX-K on track video :

Thanks!

Ferrari certainly knows how to roll out the red carpet.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:46 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

i cant see porsche doing it.... no series to run it....and too small volume.

Cup car program is as far as it goes for trailer only cars.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:03 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

EVO's interviews the FXX-K's test driver Marc Gene :

Old 12-12-2014, 01:38 PM
maomao911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Porsche will never do this simply because they don't have the customer base to support such a project. The FXX series is no longer about cars, or racing. It's about a lifestyle, and Porsche just don't have that brand equity to do it.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:14 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

I just think this sound is otherworldly :

Sounds almost as good as a CGT.

Enjoy!
Old 04-10-2015, 02:48 PM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier

Respectfully, I think you'll need much more than few days in hire cars to go under 7 mins at the Ring.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:58 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I think it would be a way cool project for those that can afford such a machine!
Prior to the street car there was the 918RSR which had the gearbox from the 9R6 (RS Spyder) and the front seat flywheel from the 911 GT3 R Hybrid. They showed the car publicly but no idea if it was just a silhouette that moved 5MPH under its own power.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:59 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

ferrari builds these really cool track only cars.... but they really have no real purpose other then being a $$ toy.

Porsche builds Cup cars for serious clients and they are used for serious competition.

Porsche also build road going versions of their race cars for homologating purposes. That is fine by me.

A 918 track only car for open lapping and with no series to run just wouldnt be rite in my books..
Old 04-12-2015, 07:23 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 464 Likes on 312 Posts

Its called the Weissach Package.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:01 PM
Milanno
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, hello to all members of forum since I am new here

I wanted to ask similar question as OP, so this thread seems suitable for posting my vision how track-only 918 could look. It could be interesting project for Porsche.

Visually it would look more "technical" than FXX K. Lower parts would be detachable for fast exchange. Rear track could be even wider, with enlarged side intake.

I assume this type of car could be used on highly technical tracks all over the world and I am sure Porsche could attract much more advanced owners/drivers in their program than Ferrari.
And yeah, I would watch that kind of race on TV
Attached Images  

Last edited by Milanno; 07-20-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Porsche going to make a track only version of the 918 just like the LaFerrari FXX?