Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new 918, coming but not hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:26 PM
TJF
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default A new 918, coming but not hybrid?

I was at the dealership today and they mentioned to me that they are planning to build a car similar to the 918 body, but combustion engine only.
Anybody else here this?
Old 10-09-2014, 10:35 PM
swb3
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes there have been rumors out of Porsche of a variant that is combustion only and possibly a four seat version. They were considering a couple different variations but I have not heard any noise on this in the last 6 months.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:21 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TJF
..they [PAG] are planning to build a car similar to the 918 body, but combustion engine only. Anybody else heard this?
Yes, it's going to be called the 960/988. It will be lighter that the 918, just as fast and it will be half a million dollars cheaper!

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...m-porsche.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 10-09-2014, 11:55 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Yes, it's going to be called the 960/988. It will be lighter that the 918, just as fast and it will be half a million dollars cheaper!

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...m-porsche.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Limited?

Speciale is near 600 hp - Porsche for the extra 200k is going to have to offer CF tub+ mid 6's hp.

If it's unlimited the Mclaren 650 / Speciale is going to be very hard to pass on.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:21 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

It (960/988) will be lighter that the 918, just as fast and it will be half a million dollars cheaper!
Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Limited? Ferrari is near 600 hp - Porsche for the extra 200k is going to have to offer CF tub+ mid 6's hp. If it's unlimited the Mclaren 650 / Ferrari Speciale is going to be very hard to pass on.
It's going to be $500K cheaper than the base $845K MSRP of the 918 Spyder! In fact, I expect the final 960/988 model to come in at UNDER US$300K here in the US...and maybe MY2018! So it's the real McCoy 'Fe-Fi'...don't doubt it!

Limited? Unlimited. Anyone can buy one...if he/she (or transgender here in California!) has the the means. That's the old-fashion Porsche way of doing business!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 10-10-2014, 07:26 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

It's going to be $500K cheaper than the base $845K MSRP of the 918 Spyder! In fact, I expect the final 960/988 model to come in at UNDER US$300K here in the US...and maybe MY2018! So it's the real McCoy 'Fe-Fi'...don't doubt it!

Limited? Unlimited. Anyone can buy one...if he/she (or transgender here in California!) has the the means. That's the old-fashion Porsche way of doing business!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

I am still new here - but to call it a new 918 not hybrid is stepping on a lot of toes.

How does anyone know it's capabilities and or the price?

I see this as a lot of speculation feeding off the 918 podium.

Porsche from my perspective has churned out a fair number of limited models. If they produce 2000 units per year and stock them at the dealers it will take a big hit on depreciation. Porsche should be cautious as they saw first hand what happened when Lambo went production crazy. No one who spends over 200k wants to see one in every color sitting at a dealer.

Been there done that with Mclaren and that is one heck of a car for the price.

Sorry I just don't see a 918 without a battery for that number - but if that's the case then it's going to leave one heck of a dent.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

I am still new here - but to call it a new 918 not hybrid is stepping on a lot of toes...Sorry I just don't see a 918 without a battery for that number
The model I am talking about - 960/988 - will not be an exact copy of the 918. And nobody calls it a '918 sans hybrid'. It will be a new mid-engine design utilizing quite a bit of the technology (carbon fiber & other materials, chassis concepts, suspension pieces, RAS, etc) developed for the 918...but it will look somewhat 'different' from that limited edition 'halo' model! To my knowledge, there are no plans to build any other version of the 918 Spyder past it's original target of 918 units. That limited number is almost a contractual obligation by PAG to their 918 customers. And PAG will not be stupid enough to dilute their value by overproduction...and incur the wrath of their elite customers for a lifetime!

Once these limited number 918 are sold/built, it's finished and the production line will shut down for good! Then PAG will start to publicize & prepare the release of the new 960/988 (or whatever they ultimately decide to call it). PAG needs to do this new mid engine model at an 'affordable' price for its racing customers for it's own survival in motorsports! It can't continue with the presently outdated 911 (gt3, RSR, Cup chassis & motors) which are quickly getting past their 'sell by date' and are becoming obsolete in the sport. Notice that almost all the former Porsche race team privateers have left the marque (e.g. LeMans/Daytona/Sebring) and the Porsche banner is now only being carried forward by the factory-sponsored team! The new mid engine model will address that big problem which Porsche now has in motorsports. That is why this model is called internally at Porsche the 'Ferrari Fighter' or Fe-Fi. That is their word for it - not ours!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 10-10-2014, 10:32 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

The model I am talking about - 960/988 - will not be an exact copy of the 918. And nobody calls it a '918 sans hybrid'. It will be a new mid-engine design utilizing quite a bit of the technology (carbon fiber & other materials, chassis concepts, suspension pieces, RAS, etc) developed for the 918...but it will look somewhat 'different' from that limited edition 'halo' model! To my knowledge, there are no plans to build any other version of the 918 Spyder past it's original target of 918 units. That limited number is almost a contractual obligation by PAG to their 918 customers. And PAG will not be stupid enough to dilute their value by overproduction...and incur the wrath of their elite customers for a lifetime!

Once these limited number 918 are sold/built, it's finished and the production line will shut down for good! Then PAG will start to publicize & prepare the release of the new 960/988 (or whatever they ultimately decide to call it). PAG needs to do this new mid engine model at an 'affordable' price for its racing customers for it's own survival in motorsports! It can't continue with the presently outdated 911 (gt3, RSR, Cup chassis & motors) which are quickly getting past their 'sell by date' and are becoming obsolete in the sport. Notice that almost all the former Porsche race team privateers have left the marque (e.g. LeMans/Daytona/Sebring) and the Porsche banner is now only being carried forward by the factory-sponsored team! The new mid engine model will address that big problem which Porsche now has in motorsports. That is why this model is called internally at Porsche the 'Ferrari Fighter' or Fe-Fi. That is their word for it - not ours!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Thanks for sharing - but I recently spent almost the better part of the day with one of the drivers and he stated they were years away from developing a series car like Ferrari Lamborghini Mclaren GT3 updated series based on a street edition.

Mclaren turned me off by switching up the MP4 to the 650S and when I looked at Porsche they appeared to be very consistent and stable.

Ferrari produces more limited models than they state - very disappointing.

I appreciate your knowledge - not sure why this section would include as another poster stated this model in the super car section.

It's an insult to the 918 owners and enthusiasts and if there is a version it will have very little similarities to the 918 for the same reasons you stated far from a 918 without a battery.

I have been reading Rennlist for many years but never posted until a CGT was in the (yes I am a STL Cardinal fan) Cards.

Very knowledgeable group and threads posts stay on topic.

Feel it should be moved and leave the super car section for super cars.

Rennlist / Porsche owners and enthusiasts deserve better - my .02 add the 959 remove 960.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

I recently spent almost the better part of the day with one of the drivers and he stated they were years away from developing a series car like Ferrari Lamborghini Mclaren GT3 updated series based on a street edition.
And he would be correct. It will be at least 3 years away!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 10-10-2014, 11:34 AM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 57 Posts

Rennlist / Porsche owners and enthusiasts deserve better - my .02 add the 959 remove 960.
I agree 100%. The non existing 960 should be replace by the legendary 959.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:35 AM
racingfan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep. Replace 960 with 959.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:35 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed. 959 Deserves to be here, 960 if it comes should be its own thread.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:15 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm not a super car owner but a long-time enthusiast. 959 should be in here (I guess it falls close enough under water cooled since partially so) but for this 960 concept... I am a little confused by the alarm from current super car owners.

A 960 (assuming it's somewhere in the ballpark of current speculation) might seriously boost the Porsche brand, and in turn, the clear cut "super cars"... Having a true Ferrari fighter may pull additional Ferrari enthusiasts into the fold, and even help pull up demand for the more limited halo cars. Just wanted to mention this... and in Porsche land, the 960 concept might very well be a super car, just like the Aventador/Murcielago/Diablo/Countach/Miura lineage at Lambo fell into a sort of "middle" bucket of super cars, despite not really being equivalent to F40, F50, Enzo, CGT, etc... I would think the 960 concept would fall somewhere in that bucket, which is quite frankly supercar territory.

Not meaning to argue for/against inclusion of 960 at this time, just surprised by the view this would be a knock to the existing halo cars... I think long-run it would actually do some good.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:46 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
I'm not a super car owner but a long-time enthusiast. 959 should be in here (I guess it falls close enough under water cooled since partially so) but for this 960 concept... I am a little confused by the alarm from current super car owners.

A 960 (assuming it's somewhere in the ballpark of current speculation) might seriously boost the Porsche brand, and in turn, the clear cut "super cars"... Having a true Ferrari fighter may pull additional Ferrari enthusiasts into the fold, and even help pull up demand for the more limited halo cars. Just wanted to mention this... and in Porsche land, the 960 concept might very well be a super car, just like the Aventador/Murcielago/Diablo/Countach/Miura lineage at Lambo fell into a sort of "middle" bucket of super cars, despite not really being equivalent to F40, F50, Enzo, CGT, etc... I would think the 960 concept would fall somewhere in that bucket, which is quite frankly supercar territory.

Not meaning to argue for/against inclusion of 960 at this time, just surprised by the view this would be a knock to the existing halo cars... I think long-run it would actually do some good.
Understand but it's speculation on an unlimited model three years away.

The 959 is absent - would really like to hear from those owners and enthusiasts vs speculation.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:17 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Understand but it's speculation on an unlimited model three years away.

The 959 is absent - would really like to hear from those owners and enthusiasts vs speculation.
Yeah, 959 should be here. I kinda dismissively agreed with that notion up-front as it seems obvious that it fits.

Does anyone know why it isn't in this section?

Quick Reply: A new 918, coming but not hybrid?