Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introduction

Old 09-29-2014, 12:16 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 857 Likes on 379 Posts
Default Introduction

My name is Michael and I would like to introduce myself to this great forum. I have been a lurker on this 918/GT forums for a few months now and I am finally going to pull the trigger on a deposit for the 918.

I have always been a fan of the Carrera GT but felt the car was very tricky to drive fast. When the 918 concept came out, I thought someone over at Porsche had heard my prayers over the years! Anyways, the thing that sealed the deal for me was the test drive of the 918 last week with David Donohue.

As I about to wire in my deposit with my dealer tomorrow morning, I do have a few questions for you 918/Porsche experts here. First, David mentioned to me that Porsche is considering not taking on any Weissach package for future 918 orders. This was a surprise to me as I am only considering the Weissach package and I would be greatly disappointed if this was the case.

Right now, the only available allocation is April/May. However, I was told by David that the actual build date would be much later. He is estimating the actual build date to be sometime in August of next year. What is the reasoning behind this? Why is there a few months of gap between allocation and actual build time?

Lastly, how do you add signatures on this forum? I have looked the User CP settings and can't seem to find it. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:27 AM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
I have always been a fan of the Carrera GT but felt the car was very tricky to drive fast.
Actually, I always felt it to be tricky to drive slow!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:35 AM
maomao911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

If they tell you no Weissach pack, then you tell them no order. Ordering the Weissach pack is free money for Porsche, there is no reason they will discontinue it. It's probably something told to you so that you hurry your order in. When I was first in contact with Porsche about the 918, every e-mail from them begin with the sentence " Mr. XX you must place your deposit now to secure your order for the 918!"
Old 09-29-2014, 01:51 AM
neosky
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by biko
Actually, I always felt it to be tricky to drive slow!
That's my impression as well...I think I stalled the car like 3 times when I first test drove one years ago!
Old 09-29-2014, 02:00 AM
maomao911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by neosky
That's my impression as well...I think I stalled the car like 3 times when I first test drove one years ago!
It is also tricky to drive on track as the revs drops so fast that you need to be really fast and smooth with heel and toe downshifts. But handling wise the car has no problem for me. It only feels a little intimidating on the street due to its size.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Michael,

Congrats on the impending purchase.

Signatures can be added under the user control panel (CP).

The other questions are more difficult. I hadn't heard anything about Porsche limiting the Weissach package, nor about April/May allocations being delivered in August.

Maybe some of the other 918 owners know something about these two issues?
Old 09-29-2014, 08:01 PM
HRE Wheels
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Quite the introduction splash Welcome and congratulations!

Trending Topics

Old 09-29-2014, 11:06 PM
biko
Instructor

Before I placed my recent deposit on a 918 David said the same thing about the Weissach package potentially being ended. I took it as simply as a manufactured forcing function to get me to commit.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:13 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 857 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by biko
Before I placed my recent deposit on a 918 David said the same thing about the Weissach package potentially being ended. I took it as simply as a manufactured forcing function to get me to commit.
LOL
I guess it worked. I placed my deposit this morning with my dealer. How long did it take for you to get your commission number after deposit was made?
Old 09-30-2014, 12:21 AM
biko
Instructor

Originally Posted by unotaz
LOL
I guess it worked. I placed my deposit this morning with my dealer. How long did it take for you to get your commission number after deposit was made?
About a week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Introduction