Sponsored by:

My 918 or at least a report of it

Old 03-03-2017, 04:41 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by 991gtR
why don't you like cgt? need more info

It was actually discussed many times before. But the short version is that I don't quite see a CGT on the same level as other historic Porsche cars, the 959, GT1, 918, 930Turbo, and the 964 Turbo 3.6 I just bought.

930 Turbo is the first ever Porsche 911 Turbo.

964 Turbo 3.6 is the one year unicorn that was the bridge between the single turbo cars and the twin turbo cars.

959, need I say more? The technology tour de force that no one think was possible to cram so many technology into one car back then. All modern 911 Turbos have a link back to this car. It also won the Paris-Dakar Rally, can any Ferrari or Lamborghini claimed that?

GT1, the racing heritage.

918, another technology tour de force, many of it's technology will be used in future Porsche cars, especially the hybrid system.

CGT, it was a salvage operation by Porsche to monetize 2 failed racing programs, to recoup money spent. It is a dead end on Porsche's family tree, there was nothing before it nor after. Having said that, it is still a great great car, no other Porsche engines can matched it's V10 for sound. But it just doesn't carry enough Porsche heritage for me to give it a top priority.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:42 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

And my 911R went back to it's birth place!
Attached Images   
Old 03-04-2017, 01:27 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,198 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
It was actually discussed many times before. But the short version is that I don't quite see a CGT on the same level as other historic Porsche cars, the 959, GT1, 918, 930Turbo, and the 964 Turbo 3.6 I just bought.

964 Turbo 3.6 is the one year unicorn that was the bridge between the single turbo cars and the twin turbo cars.

959, need I say more? The technology tour de force that no one think was possible to cram so many technology into one car back then. All modern 911 Turbos have a link back to this car. It also won the Paris-Dakar Rally, can any Ferrari or Lamborghini claimed that?

918, another technology tour de force, many of it's technology will be used in future Porsche cars, especially the hybrid system.

CGT, it was a salvage operation by Porsche to monetize 2 failed racing programs, to recoup money spent. It is a dead end on Porsche's family tree, there was nothing before it nor after. Having said that, it is still a great great car, no other Porsche engines can matched it's V10 for sound. But it just doesn't carry enough Porsche heritage for me to give it a top priority.
Interesting analysis and I've never really thought of it this way. Have to agree on your points, though. The CGT is a bit of an odd-duck in retrospect. The 918, like the 959, will have tremendous legacy/trickle down effect on Porsche's future production cars. The CGT has had relatively little meaningful impact.

Between the 964 Turbo, 918 and 911R, you have effectively cornered yourself into getting a 959. A must have at this point!
Old 03-04-2017, 08:51 AM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoopsy- any more pics from the European trip ?
Old 03-05-2017, 10:34 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

came here to see more ED pics.

but

based on your route / the stops - each picture we will like. doesn´t matter if blurred or not.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:59 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jo_ker
came here to see more ED pics.

but

based on your route / the stops - each picture we will like. doesn´t matter if blurred or not.

Sorry, was travelling A LOT and didn't have time to sort and post pics, now I am home and will do
Old 03-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Start of the journey in Leipzig, on our way to Munich via Ingolstadt to visit Audi first.

And yes, that's how much luggage we managed to cramp into the 911R.

Along the way spotted a prototype Audi A8/VW Phaeton.

Tried to sneak into the Audi Forum plaza to take a pic, the security was not amused with a Porsche invading their turf, no dice.

Actually, the whole Ingolstadt was quite offensive with us driving a 911R through the town. We got constant honks, and hands and finger waving. I think they are just being stupid, we are clearly on tourist plates and the roads around the Audi factory was under construction and of course we are gonna drive slow and try and find our way around! All the signs are in German also didn't help.
Attached Images            
Old 03-13-2017, 10:43 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Second stop was BMW in Munich, beautiful delivery center!

And in the afternoon, met up with a photographer based in Munich to do so shots around Lake Tegernsee.

Was gonna go up the passes but they were closed because of snow. Oh well.
Attached Images             
Old 03-13-2017, 10:58 AM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Ill take the other side of this argument because you seem to have completely missed the point of the CGT..... I would say the CGT is Porsche's most important street car and will be for all time.

This car is a homage to Porsche's most important heritage, top level endurance racing. Plastic Porsche cars starting from the 904 through 906-910-907-908-917-GT1 into the pinnacle of the CGT.

It has a unique engine design for a Porsche and arguable the best power plant delivered in any street machine sans the BMW V12 in the F1 IMHO. Designed inhouse for racing although never making it due to rules changes ect. We couldn't have been luckier.

So it didnt race, who cares? Its a bespoke design top to bottom. They used all of their motorsports knowhow to create a LeMans ready prototype for the street for your enjoyment. It has the best lineage of them all and your dead end comment is clearly a reference to the end of their most important identity at the track. A 904 is the closest thing to a CGT really. Street car, ready to endurance race.

To call a 930 in any league of importance close to a CGT is mind-blowing to me, and adding the 3.6 to that list tells me 911's are in true bubble territory still. They are just 911's with some special different parts.... Nice cars but man oh man the hype hasnt stopped.

The GT1 is very important and the 20 street cars could maybe now be worth closer to $6M?? Crazy but someone paid up big time this weekend.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

We drove from Munich to Maranello, and spent the next few days there to visit Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani and even Ducati.

On the way down, ran into an F12 on the autobahn. Also saw the 812 Superfast still in disguise around the factory and then to top it off, got chased down by a Performante after we left Lambrghini.

At Pagani, we ran into Shmee aka Tim Burton. He was there to document his friend's delivery of a Huayra BC. So as it happens, we made an appearance on his Youtube video. I have to say, he has a sharp sense for cars, he was video taping the Huayra and heard us coming down the road and turned and looked immediately. Mr. Pagani also chatted with us extensively after he finished the delivery, well after the showroom closed.
Attached Images                 
Old 03-13-2017, 11:31 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgt04115
Ill take the other side of this argument because you seem to have completely missed the point of the CGT..... I would say the CGT is Porsche's most important street car and will be for all time.

This car is a homage to Porsche's most important heritage, top level endurance racing. Plastic Porsche cars starting from the 904 through 906-910-907-908-917-GT1 into the pinnacle of the CGT.

It has a unique engine design for a Porsche and arguable the best power plant delivered in any street machine sans the BMW V12 in the F1 IMHO. Designed inhouse for racing although never making it due to rules changes ect. We couldn't have been luckier.

So it didnt race, who cares? Its a bespoke design top to bottom. They used all of their motorsports knowhow to create a LeMans ready prototype for the street for your enjoyment. It has the best lineage of them all and your dead end comment is clearly a reference to the end of their most important identity at the track. A 904 is the closest thing to a CGT really. Street car, ready to endurance race.

To call a 930 in any league of importance close to a CGT is mind-blowing to me, and adding the 3.6 to that list tells me 911's are in true bubble territory still. They are just 911's with some special different parts.... Nice cars but man oh man the hype hasnt stopped.

The GT1 is very important and the 20 street cars could maybe now be worth closer to $6M?? Crazy but someone paid up big time this weekend.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, as I said, that was just my own line of thinking. Not going to try to convince anyone else.

But seeing you also have a CGT, and depending on when you bought it, that you might also have an interest in keeping the price high for CGT?

I liked the CGT, and all the people I know who have one loved it dearly, and it clearly has the best ever engine sound of any Porsche engines that's for sure! But that's not enough for me to get it higher on my purchase list, eventually I have get one, but not now or the near future.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:52 AM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, as I said, that was just my own line of thinking. Not going to try to convince anyone else.

But seeing you also have a CGT, and depending on when you bought it, that you might also have an interest in keeping the price high for CGT?

I liked the CGT, and all the people I know who have one loved it dearly, and it clearly has the best ever engine sound of any Porsche engines that's for sure! But that's not enough for me to get it higher on my purchase list, eventually I have get one, but not now or the near future.
I just like the car, at whatever price. It's end of an era of supercars.

2010 purchase. Very very cheap.

Doesn't matter what what price does. Just pointing out that I think your missing the point of the CGT. That's all.

Clearly the 959 should be worth multiples of the CGT if it was that important to people. 1/5th the volume of a CGT. Fact is, a 993 Turbo is a better car. In a decade the 918 will look the same way.

The CGT is something very unique and special. Of course to each there own but calling it a dead end is categorically false.

Its the pinnacle plastic Porsche from the motor sports division.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

After a short stay at Maranello, onto the final leg of our road trip, heading back to Stuttgart t drop off the car. I think it will be the dirtiest 911R one will ever sees.

With Porsche supplying the temporary winter tires, customers was supposed to have to return the car back to where it was picked up, in my case, Leipzig only, but being a 918 owner has it's privileges.

So now onto the longest leg, about an 8 hour drive.

Alone the way, ran into a Nissan GTR who wants to play, but the 911R is basically out of it's elements haha.

Didn't drop off the car right away, spent a day at the factory and museum and nice lunch at the factory restaurant, and the next day visiting Mercedes Museum first. The Mercedes Museum is the most impressive factory museum on the trip for sure. There were 3 F1 cars inside the parking lot!

But in the end, time is limited and had to say goodbye to the car, 2213km driven, almost 30 hours of driving time and it gets surprisingly good fuel economy! Finally tally, we visited but Porsche factories, the Porsche Museum, Audi factory and museum, BMW factory and museum, Ferrari factory and museum, Lamborghini factory and museum, Ducati factory and museum, Pagani factory and Mercedes museum. Pretty epic European delivery road trip I would say.

Off to the next leg of the European trip, Porsche winter driving school in Finland!
Attached Images                  
The following users liked this post:
heshalosny (09-06-2023)
Old 03-13-2017, 12:20 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, Porsche winter driving school in Finland.........

It was a blast last year. Same thing this year, just better!

The ice karting was just pure fun.
Attached Images                  
The following users liked this post:
heshalosny (09-06-2023)
Old 03-13-2017, 12:29 PM
EliteThink
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just incredible, thank you so much for all the shots!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 918 or at least a report of it