Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 918 or at least a report of it

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 06:27 PM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 127 Posts

whist I am a 918 customer, I was not there in that capacity, and I did see the cars that were ready for shipment/ collection.....

Hope you get your car soon, wish mine was sooner......
Old 10-20-2014, 10:39 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 500 Posts

You have no idea how hard the wait is. I had my money down for over 18months now.

Almost seems like my GT3RS might arrive sooner than the 918. Haha.

Anyway not sure where you are from, but you do get quite a bit of leeway with Porsche when you buy a 918.

Try going through your local channel first if you want to have that 'special' factory visit, they 'should' be able to arrange, but if they can't help, I might be able to help you.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:29 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 127 Posts

Woops, I am in UK, but spend most of my time in EU.

I had planned to see my car being built but that's not until early next year.

Thanks for your offer of assistance though. But some how I have a feeling all will be fine. I know the VP for your region well.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:13 PM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a great experience! enjoyed reading your narrative - vip certainly has its privileges
Old 10-22-2014, 03:31 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Yet it is still constricted by what Porsche dictates.

I was told to expect my car between Oct 27th-31st. It takes a day to fly from Germany to Toronto, then another 4 days or so to get to Vancouver.

My dealer has been calling everyday and the answer is still a no, my car hasn't been shipped yet. I guess they have until Friday to ship it out to make their own timeline. But as of right now the factory hold on delivery is still in effect.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:43 PM
heynow
Advanced

Whoopsy, my car was originally scheduled to be delivered in october as well, but has been pushed back to november. You may want to check with Chelsea.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:05 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Well, the latest is that my car will clear next Monday or Tuesday. I guess it will make it to Canada, at least Toronto, before the end of the month. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:31 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Twice, once in April and 2nd time beginning of Sept to see my car on the actual production floor and put the Porsche badge on my own car.

My car would not have been visible on the floor, when cars are done on the production floor they move downstairs to validation and it's off limit to customers. They don't stay there either as Porsche take each one for a shake down run at Weissach. After that and more checks, Porsche will send them off await shipping. My car is at shipping but on hold right now.

A few members here will be doing the same trip as I did, to see their own car on the floor.
I'm putting the badge on mine on the production line !
Old 10-24-2014, 09:53 PM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 57 Posts

Well, the latest is that my car will clear next Monday or Tuesday. I guess it will make it to Canada, at least Toronto, before the end of the month. Fingers crossed.
You have been truly patient. I feel for you. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:45 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wtdoom
I'm putting the badge on mine on the production line !

Good for you and happy for you!!!!!

You can actually try putting on almost anything on the car, maybe try hanging the hood, doors, screw in the seats and other stuff, just depends on which station the car is at. When I was there I was told to feel free to try and work on my own car.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:29 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you and happy for you!!!!!

You can actually try putting on almost anything on the car, maybe try hanging the hood, doors, screw in the seats and other stuff, just depends on which station the car is at. When I was there I was told to feel free to try and work on my own car.
That would be a horrendously bad idea ! I am terrible with my hands . In fact you will be easily able to spot my car on auto g spot etc , it will be the one with the badge on upside down ...
Yes I am that crap
Old 10-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That would be a horrendously bad idea ! I am terrible with my hands . In fact you will be easily able to spot my car on auto g spot etc , it will be the one with the badge on upside down ...
Yes I am that crap
LOL. Me too. Next week (if my car really does go into production next week), I'll stick to installing the badge or pushing a button on a computer that logs the car in or out of a station.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Yes I am that crap

You wish. Haha. It will only means your car will spend a month in validation to fix all you mistakes lol.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You wish. Haha. It will only means your car will spend a month in validation to fix all you mistakes lol.
Your point is well taken. Maybe I should just watch and take pics.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:37 PM
Notmelo
Instructor

Well no photos yet, that will have to wait. Officially, my car is completed. As of Thursday morning Stuttgart time. It is now in validation which takes about a week, then they can book shipping time to get it to me. Some here already knew I flew to Stuttgart to see my car on the actual production floor last few days. I flew into Stuttgart Wednesday morning on fittingly, flight BA 918. Porsche picked me up from the airport and sent me to the factory straight away. And a separate driver took Mark Webber, which was sitting next to me, to Weissach. Once I arrived, a 'Tour Guide' took me to the production floor there it is, just getting off station 9 where they install the rear engine hatch and some other items around the car, and onto station 10 where they install the front bumper, both doors and the front hood. I did a quick walk around the floor again, just to see what's different than my April visit. It's a lot more crowded and the engine assembly line is actually running this time around. While I was there, I was offered to help build my own car, I can take part in any steps, but since they just installed the hood, they offered me to install the hood badge myself. Also on the table was that I can even video tape the whole process. Which I wasted no time in handing over my iPhone to be used. Not a long process, not very complicated either, and one of the tech was standing next to me just to make sure I didn't screw up. Well I didn't and the whole process took just over a minute. But it's one minute of my life that I will hardly ever forget. Porsche has arranged a hosted lunch at Christophorus so I left right after it took position at station 11, and it completed station 12 by the end of Wednesday. That leaves station 13 and 14 for the morning of Thursday. Porsche is running at full speed at the factory, 2hrs per stations, 28 hrs total for each car. And they have added a Saturday shift, just so they can try to catch up with the earlier delays. I have seen pictures, I have seen computer models, I have imagined what my car would look like in real life, but it's really something to see it actually coming to life, to form, right in front of your eyes. I highly suggest those who have ordered a 918 to ask to see your own car on the floor. The Timing will be very tight, I only got about 5 days worth of heads up and I had to scrambled to book flights and rearrange schedules to make the trip. A car will spent 3.5 days on the floor only and I made it on the 3rd day of production, which seems to be the sweet spot as the 2 days prior the car will be kind of in pieces. Porsche had arranged the manager of sales coordination for North America to be my host for lunch, we had a good chat over lunch, he asked a lot of questions on how I see Porsche is doing, at least in my home market, and told me a lot of things, most of which are 'off the record' so I can't really repeat. Sorry guys. Part of those were responses from my concerns on Porsche's direction and I was told Porsche board actually discussed some of those and either the accountants said no or they deemed not important enough. About the only thing I can reveal would be Porsche is seriously considering opening a official restoration facility in North America, similar to the one at the Porsche Museum. It will be great news for those that owned some significant older Porsche cars. It was a very short stay at Stuttgart, I flew out Thursday morning. Including my overnight stay over at Heathrow and the over night stay at Stuttgart, I spent a total of 74hrs away from home to spent about 4hrs at the factory. Well worth it I believed but my wife thinks I am crazy though. While I was there, I was told that all of Europe, Asia and rest of the world's allocation are gone, what's left are the USA allocations, which amounts to around 100 cars or so. A while ago I did a rough calculation on Porsche's number based on the estimated production slot on current orders and came up with around 770 cars sold. At the factory I saw engine #787 just came off the line and 4 more were in various state of completion on the line so that pretty much confirms what I had guessed before. Also, I was told a Sheik in the middle east had ordered 4 cars, think that's the record, he already got one and just specced his second, with all white leather and white stitching, at a cost of over 100k euro. Porsche had to specially order the white leather and stitching for him. Quite a few customers who had already taken delivery had ordered a 2nd car to be a keeper as they felt like they had already put on a lot of miles on their current car. So in the end if Porsche do indeed sell 918 cars, there will be less than 900 owners worldwide. Of the 17 cars I saw on the floor, one on each station, and one car which is red with salzberg strips, that was just leaving and heading to the elevator, one more off the side off station 14 which is a PTS orange hue, and one on the side of station 7, which had a problem so they pull it aside and continue to work on it while the car behind take it's spot, 14 of them are with various shades of silver and grey, 2 liquid metal silver, 2 meteor grey metallic and 1 GT silver and the other 8 were rhodium silver. The last 2 are black, one of which is mine. One last thing of note, during validation, Porsche will do a shake down run for each 918 at the Weissach track as part of the testing. Good to know our cars will be track tested. Literally.
Whoopsy:
I am curious who your source was regarding the world allocation being "sold out ". I met with David Dohahue today and he indicated there aren't a lot of slots still available, but, it is first come, first served. He is confident the remaining sales will be US sales, but, he is competing in a world market to sell the remaining cars. His best guess estimate, all will be sold somewhere in the next six weeks. He also indicated the pause for "verification" has been lifted, and cars are shipping at a good clip. Good news for you and I am a little surprised your salesman hasn't alerted you to this fact.

Quick Reply: My 918 or at least a report of it