Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CGT Prices

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:53 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Im not sure what the difference is between an analog car and digital car. The CGT looks to have enough electronics to be considered digital? ie: dash, stall preventer, variable timing, etc. Is the tach cable driven? is there linkage to the throttle or is it also electronic.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:34 AM
maomao911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

^ to me, any electronics that does not reinterpret the driver's input is still consider analog. Such as electronic throttle, electric steering, even variable steering, because they all have a specific, linear pattern that dictates how they react to driver input. Things like E-diff, traction control, falls into the category of reinterpretation, where the car's ECU makes up its own mind, and thus makes the car less analog. Is a digital Leica M9 still an analog camera, yes I think so, but a modern Cannon SLR definitely isn't. I think the new 918 Spyder is the epitome of digital car. To me, it's just a different driving experience, not better or worse.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ i disagree, a digital leica is not a leica period.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:35 AM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Leica doesn't make anything these days. They are just a branded camera made by an ODM who also makes a number of other cameras for other brands. So yes, a digital Leica is not at all the same as the analog Leica.

Canon actually is the only camera manufacturer who makes their own DSLR and point and shoots. Nikon doesn't even make their own P&S.

I know off topic...
Old 03-05-2014, 04:14 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Dear Friend Biko, Leica makes both the S, the M, the M-Monochrom and the X camera (to a lesser extent). I am not with Leica, btw. And they are truly remarkable. Cheers, Steve
Old 03-05-2014, 04:22 AM
maomao911
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
^ i disagree, a digital leica is not a leica period.
^ well if we are gonna get technical, Leica is a lens maker not a camera maker, wouldn't you say? So all manual focus leica lenses are analogue, and auto focus one aren't. And by that definition, a leica body that is designed to work with a M mount lens is therefore an analogue camera. that'ts of course my opinion.

Also, I think what makes something digital versus analogue comes down more to user experience rather than a sum of parts.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:22 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Well, not disagreeing with your overall point, etc., maomao011, in cameras (in general), digital versus analog refers solely to the recording medium (CCD/CMOS sensor versus film) -- and this has influenced the development of cameras to a very big degree (bigger lens, smaller cameras) so their look is obviously "digital cameras". And some cameras are now called "retro" which harken back to the design of some of the older film cameras. And, while a big film buff for sometime, I can now very comfortably say that the modern digital cameras far exceed what was made possible by film (although this had a different look for a few reasons). For example, in general, a 35 mm digital camera today can easily rival medium format film.

Therefore, I don't think the use of the terms "analog versus digital" from cameras should really be applied to cars. One could say, for example, that using a Leica M rangefinder is far more involving than a SLR, but that applies to either a film or digital M.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:53 PM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually know the ODM that does the engineering and manufacturers the Leica cameras. So I guess it depends on one's definition of "make".

As almost all product companies use ODMs for manufacturing, I define "make" as being responsible for the engineering and large portions of the software. Probably a large grey zone of what defines "make" and just "branded".

The tell tale would be the number of hardware and software engineers on the company's payroll.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:37 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 474 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael246
So why the large price gap with every 04 to 05 car except the Isringhausen one. Is this just because people want the '05 cars? Is the price gap going to disappear over time? Thanks
The last year of production runs are more desirable.
05s will trade for a premium.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:38 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 474 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by envythez06
My dad was just offered 435k for his 2005 4,600 mile guards red CGT. He wasn't interested in selling since he loves the car but I guess that can give some insight on how the market is actually doing. Only really see the market for them going up as many collectors don't seem to be too thrilled with all the new cars and all the fancy electronics.
That offer is too low in this market.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:18 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

thanks I understand your idea of interpretation. To me, a pure machine is a steam engine with all its parts exposed. Once electrics and electronics get involved, I guess it's all a matter of interpreting our level of acceptance or comfort. I read where some say they prefer an analog car as opposed to a digital car and they place a premium on analog cars. Again, to me, a CGT is just as complicated as a 918. I cant work on either one. Therefore, I, myself, don't think a CGT more desirable than a 918. Might as well be an Apollo 12 capsule against a space shuttle. I will always have to have them fixed by trained techs.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:13 AM
envythez06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JustinS
That offer is too low in this market.
I sort of had the same feeling. Few weeks back I saw some dealer in Atlanta had a guards red CGT for sale with 9,xxx miles and they were asking 469k, not sure what it ended up selling for, but it didn't last long on the market even at that price.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:39 AM
Plastique999
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sort of had the same feeling. Few weeks back I saw some dealer in Atlanta had a guards red CGT for sale with 9,xxx miles and they were asking 469k, not sure what it ended up selling for, but it didn't last long on the market even at that price.
Whoa, 9k miles going for 469k?
Does guards red hold any premium over silver or black?
Old 03-07-2014, 03:30 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Plastique999
Does guards red hold any premium over silver or black?
Yup. And yellow even more so.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:24 AM
maomao911
Racer

nice, so I could double my mileage and still come out 100k ahead.

Quick Reply: CGT Prices