Sponsored by:

CGT Prices

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 12:43 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Agree - but as a CGT owner and believe many like owners fall into the same category we don't own other Porsches.

I have thought about others but for whatever reason don't pull the trigger.

The new GT3RS - has my attention and the 4.0 way back when did the same but besides those two know very little about the history.
Porsche History is fantastic and it is always worth the reading.

Relevant to the CGT are the "plastic porsche" lineage

Starting with the 904 onto the 906,910,907,908.917,GT1, and then the last hurrah, the streetable CGT. All are plastic composite body cars meant to endurance race. Its incredible how good these cars were in their day and the CGT is no different. The fact that Ferrari needed a paddle shifted car with 10% more HP just to stay even says a lot about the CGT engineering. Its the most underrated of all supercars. Comparatively still very much a bargain.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:55 PM
racingfan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cgt04115

Starting with the 904 onto the 906,910,907,908.917,GT1, and then the last hurrah, the streetable CGT. All are plastic composite body cars meant to endurance race. Its incredible how good these cars were in their day and the CGT is no different. The fact that Ferrari needed a paddle shifted car with 10% more HP just to stay even says a lot about the CGT engineering. Its the most underrated of all supercars. Comparatively still very much a bargain.
This.

Oh, and Porsche makes some other amazing driver's cars...I'm not likely to ever sell my 996GT3 Another undervalued car for the time-being.

By the way, Excellence Was Expected by Karl Ludvigsen is a great reference for anyone interested in Porsche's history.

Last edited by racingfan; 02-27-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:29 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Notmelo
Little confused by the inclusion of a '67 911T, with the one for sale being a '70. This article looks like it was an advertising venue for DR or was written by someone not familiar with all Porsches produced. Think 906, GT3 RS 4.0 to name two that belong on the list ahead of a 67 targa.
Everyone's definition of 'best' is different, and his motives aside, IMO the author's lack of understanding as to what 'best' means in the context of Porsche is evidenced by his mixing road and road race/race cars on one list.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cgt04115

Porsche's use of plastics starting with Makrolon and through to CF has obviously always been about weight. But back in the day it was about allowing for the creative use of ballast by building - race - cars to be under class weight minimums. Today it's about PTWR and bloat containment.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:56 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Yellow car sold for $765.
And it's already up on the market.

http://www.dreammakersautomotive.com...abee4dbc27035/

This one is part of Dream Makers Private Collection, not motivated to sell unless the offer is right.
That's unfortunate, really. I mean, I respect that the new owner is entitled to do whatever they want, but it would've been nice if this car went in the hands of someone who'd enjoy it, such as those in this thread. Perhaps another time, or another car.

Also, I'm presuming the right offer for these guys would be something absurd, so it's going to sit for a while until the market either inflates further, or natural/organic value growth occurs (which will take a bit longer than rampant inflation).
Old 02-27-2015, 06:09 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

There will be many left without a chair when the music stops ....
Old 02-27-2015, 09:30 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
And it's already up on the market.

http://www.dreammakersautomotive.com...abee4dbc27035/

That's unfortunate, really. I mean, I respect that the new owner is entitled to do whatever they want, but it would've been nice if this car went in the hands of someone who'd enjoy it, such as those in this thread. Perhaps another time, or another car.

Also, I'm presuming the right offer for these guys would be something absurd, so it's going to sit for a while until the market either inflates further, or natural/organic value growth occurs (which will take a bit longer than rampant inflation).
Did it really sell or just move to a different location.

Poor CGT will never get to see any pavement.

Agree it's their money but staged CGT's age like poorly stored wine.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:34 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Did it really sell or just move to a different location.

Poor CGT will never get to see any pavement.

Agree it's their money but staged CGT's age like poorly stored wine.
Well, above Jamie140 stated that it sold for $765k. Presumably that data came from MGMSL.

It very well could've sold to the owner of Dream Makers, who intended to both collect and leave on the market at an absurd price in case a sucker came by. I've seen it happen in the past with other cars.

And on that note, my CGT is on sale for $4.5 million. If the right buyer comes along, they can have it.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:41 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Flachbau
Porsche's use of plastics starting with Makrolon and through to CF has obviously always been about weight. But back in the day it was about allowing for the creative use of ballast by building - race - cars to be under class weight minimums. Today it's about PTWR and bloat containment.

Agreed, but that fact doesnt bother me when it all culminates in the CGT. I would say the CGT is much less of an example of that than the 918. It feels every bit a le mans sports prototype as could be legal for road use. Thats the secret no one gets, and this is the underlying value thats more significant than other supercars.

People are all jazzed up on the 997 GT3RS 4.0 as the last great drivers car. The CGT is a whole notha ball game. The last hurrah of the endurance prototype cars and an experience that can be driven around. Drive one and instantly it all makes sense. Its a truly an important autocar, not some random piece of brilliant kit. Way more significant than is currently appreciated. Porsche was still private then and is the last car that set of people were able to produce. Truly the last, greatest drivers car ever produced. It all ended with that special drivetrain in a carbon chassis. Just 5 years earlier they had won lemans in a GT1. It will be remembered in full one day,
Old 02-27-2015, 10:29 PM
Ak3249
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flachbau
There will be many left without a chair when the music stops ....
Agree to disagree on this one, I could definitely see the 911 variants being bubbles but would respectfully disagree on the Porsche Supercars (904,959,GT1,CGT). I believe these care are still for the most part undervalued when compared to their contemporary Ferraris. Though there will be a correction I see these cars bouncing back in the next cycle.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:10 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Well, above Jamie140 stated that it sold for $765k. Presumably that data came from MGMSL.

It very well could've sold to the owner of Dream Makers, who intended to both collect and leave on the market at an absurd price in case a sucker came by. I've seen it happen in the past with other cars.

And on that note, my CGT is on sale for $4.5 million. If the right buyer comes along, they can have it.
I never trust dealer to dealer numbers - but cheers if it's legit.

OTH - 4.5 million ... love to see where you placed the Ferrari GTO emblems

With none being for sale other than a 24,000 mile red - still believe when the right one crosses a big auction 1M ceiling will shatter.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:25 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

With none being for sale other than a 24,000 mile red -
where and how much? I could have had a 24k mile silver last year for $350k
Old 02-28-2015, 01:19 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by jvmax
where and how much? I could have had a 24k mile silver last year for $350k
Add 125k asking - saw it listed on F Chat last month or so.

Assume that was the Texas one on e-bay dealer spent a ton on making it mechanically perfect.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:11 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

There are two for sale on fchat just now.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:26 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ak3249
Agree to disagree on this one, I could definitely see the 911 variants being bubbles but would respectfully disagree on the Porsche Supercars (904,959,GT1,CGT). I believe these care are still for the most part undervalued when compared to their contemporary Ferraris. Though there will be a correction I see these cars bouncing back in the next cycle.
We'll see ... I do agree the CGT must be part of a modern collection as spiritual successor to such homologation cars as the 959 and GT-1 and non-homologation specials such as the C4 Leichtbau.

However there are two major differences between those other examples you cite and the CGT that could influence future prices.

1. The initial build quantity was much smaller (904=~100, 959=~300, GT1=~25). The CGT is ~1300.

2. Those cars were not generally purchased to mothball (perhaps excluding some 959's and the GT-1).

Despite how few are left - condition and miles aside - it only takes 3 73RS to come to market at once for prices to take a hit. Imagine when prices spike and 30 CGT's pop out. That is what has recently happened with the 959 and the low production series cars of the 1990's. All MIA then like an elephant herd all on the market.

When the supply is low enough (original build ~-100 and many damaged or totalled) markets can absorb this to some degree but at ~1300 units and many being preserved for future sale .... I think today's price spikes in CGT's may be absorbing as much as decades worth of future appreciation.

I wish the best for all seeking appreciation in their CGT values as the performance of the cars at the top tend to lift all boats!

Quick Reply: CGT Prices