Sponsored by:

Timeless

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:28 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Timeless

This evening while parking the CGT after a leisurely evening stroll I was approached by some interested observers. First questions out of their mouths was 'Is it brand new, what year is it?'. My response is usually 'No, its actually 10 years old'. General disbelief and confusion ensues.

I've found that this question is by far the most common I get from non-experts on Porsche lineup. Dozens of times this has happened to me.

I really think about why this is and what it takes to make something that has this characteristic. I believe it is a sign of extraordinary design talent to create a shape like this. I have come to the conclusion that timelessness for me is the key thing that I am now evaluating for future special automobile purchases (meaning not for the utilitarian family car). This special element is what is missing from so many exotics or sports cars these days.

Do you guys experience this same thing with your CGTs?
Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2013, 12:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

There is no older or new CGT for general people to remember this one as newer or older by. That and the timeless design

It just looks exotic and something they haven't seen before = looks new.

911's are opposite, so many model years and to non car enthusiasts they all look the same. If my RS is dirty and full of track rash no one believes its a year old, they think its 10 years old, if its clean they don't know, a 2005 C2S looks just like an RS without spoilers and most cant even tell them from a '99.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Superquant, said so well: "Timeless". As another post noted, the car got more noticed than a 458 and 12C. In Knightsbridge (London) is is especially the case because you see (and hear) the prancing ponies and raging bulls everywhere... But it's not just that it is noticed... It doesn't scream at you for attention and therefore says "here I am -- look at me." It is more like a beautiful woman partially undressed, that gives you that knowing look. It entrances you -- compels you to want to study each and every detail. It is a such a beautiful design that doesn't date itself (ok, "timeless"). A fairly long time ago, a bunch of guys did a survey on what was something like the top 20 sexiest supercars. They rated the omni-powerful Veryon a pretty low rating because it looked like a guy who would also be too quick in bed. The Ferrari was found to be too self-effacing ("could you please stop looking st the mirror). The Porsche CGT was the mystery car, something that invites you in to a world of adventure that you can only imagine. It is very much like a powerfully female cat.

As I have stated earlier, it has caused a traffic line just coming out of St. Tropez, a major commotion at an Italian roadside food stop, inevitably small crowds in front of hotels (valets love them -- "park it in front? -- absolutely! PREGO!". In a parking lot with other notable sports cars, it gets far more attention (again, maybe because of its rarity -- I think, for example, that a Zonda would beat it on this measure and because it too is so special) Car fanatics -- and particularly Porsche fans (most of who have only seen the car in a magazine) -- go nutso! Eventually, the Park Hyatt Zurich was concerned that it caused too much commotion near its main entrance way. (Oh well, you can't win them all -- just trying to liven up the local community). It was impossible to find a good permanent parking spot in Zug -- wait, thats your car? -- go see Pierre Sudan! The major Ferrari/Maserati dealership in Zug more than welcomed my car into his special, highly secured underground parking lot (with good company). And my favourite, as I mentioned here previously before, a 5-year old scruffy kid who just looked at me with those big brown eyes -- after having walked around the car as I was returning from the street and saying something to me in French -- "your car is sooo beautiful".

It is absolutely "Timeless".
Old 08-11-2013, 02:47 PM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently heard while parked: "Dude, it's the new Carrera!"
Old 08-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

It just looks exotic and something they haven't seen before = looks new.

911's are opposite, so many model years and to non car enthusiasts they all look the same. If my RS is dirty and full of track rash no one believes its a year old, they think its 10 years old, if its clean they don't know, a 2005 C2S looks just like an RS without spoilers and most cant even tell them from a '99.
Perfect assessment, Trakcar. I get that question all the time with my 2003 C2: "Is it new?"
Old 08-13-2013, 09:41 AM
LuckyP
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 29 Posts

Was displaying the car this weekend at the GRRC Open Day at Goodwood House.

A lady came over ans asked me "Is this a new car?"

Got me thinking just what an enduring design it is. Luurrvvleyyyy!!!!

Last edited by LuckyP; 08-13-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 AM
nycartdealer
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

Funny responses all. A neighbor asked me if my car was a design prototype for the NEW batmobile?
Old 08-23-2013, 09:20 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 78 Posts

funny. i was asked more than once is that a Ferrari? and my Porsche dealer system still think it's a Boxster. LOL!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:12 PM
TractControlOff
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 18 Posts

It has aged very well; better than the Enzo, even. It's one of the all-time greats.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 PM
tripleblack
Racer

OP, ditto. It's one of the finer aspects of the CGT. Most folks appreciate it regardless of what they think it is; or is not.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:31 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

20C4S: I do think the Boxster looks like a baby CGT... FUNNY your Porsche dealer, though. Around here in Switzerland, the Porsche dealers -- who have generally all seen a CGT before -- gather around this car like a Jedi Knight has arrived. The GT2 and 3 are fast, extremely sporty and look pretty cool -- but nothing like the arrival of a Jedi Knight. The CGT has become a living legend to Porsche aficionados
Old 08-24-2013, 08:53 AM
nycartdealer
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

The EVO article on analogue supercars had a great line concerning the CGT. They said the car still looked like something from the future
Old 08-27-2013, 10:30 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

In 2006, while driving the CGT at a rural track event, I needed some supplies. The nearest place I could do "one-stop-shopping" was a Wal-Mart.

After pulling in to the parking lot, I was questioned by a group of naive teenagers, "Hey Mister! Is that the new Corvette?"
Old 08-30-2013, 12:09 AM
TractControlOff
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
In 2006, while driving the CGT at a rural track event, I needed some supplies. The nearest place I could do "one-stop-shopping" was a Wal-Mart.

After pulling in to the parking lot, I was questioned by a group of naive teenagers, "Hey Mister! Is that the new Corvette?"

This is turning into a "funniest reactions" thread.

Quick Reply: Timeless