Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera GT , Joint Winner ; Best Analogue Supercar

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 11:04 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The labratory built MF1 is my vote, but I would like to see the FGT on the ballot................it may not win best overall, but of the lot, it would not score last either, judged objectively IMHO.

Last edited by MerlinsGarage; 08-01-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Sports Car is Dead; Long Live the Sports Car!

It's in the September issue (available on the iPad).

That article and the editorial by Metcalfe are instructive.

With regard to the former, I think it is true that every time they exited one of these cars, they felt it was the best drive they ever had. These cars all have character, real character. You have to learn about them and more about yourself to drive them. The journey together is the whole point. I am also glad they included the Noble because it is still today (and it was unfortunate that it broke down on Top Gear; what they didn't really show too much was that Aventador had to have its brake pads replaced as well, etc.).

With regard to the latter, sports car sales are way down. Indeed, people today far prefer a sporty SUV. However, not mentioned in the editorial, is that classic car sales are way up (at least in the UK). And I think this all gets to the same point as when Top Gear had a granny and a dog drive one of the latest sports cars.

Now I am clearly old school (and just recently purchased a CGT so was not displeased with the article's conclusions), but I admire and rejoice anytime I see another sports car on the road. The other day, a 430 appeared from behind in Switzerland (a guy and with a cute girlfriend) and so I opened up the taps very playfully which the 430 kindly responded to. So we spent the next 45 minutes trying to outdo each other's sounds in the tunnels. I'll never forget their faces when I hit about 5,000 RPM in second gear (never mind all of the cars suddenly exiting the left lane in front of me) -- yes, the Gates of Hell really did just open up. Anyhow, he did a great job of producing the magical high pitched Ferrari sound as well and we just had so much fun blasting down the freeway. A great Sunday afternoon casual drive. You can't do that in a SUV...
Old 08-02-2013, 03:29 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stephen Pitts
It's in the September issue (available on the iPad).

That article and the editorial by Metcalfe are instructive.

With regard to the former, I think it is true that every time they exited one of these cars, they felt it was the best drive they ever had. These cars all have character, real character. You have to learn about them and more about yourself to drive them. The journey together is the whole point. I am also glad they included the Noble because it is still today (and it was unfortunate that it broke down on Top Gear; what they didn't really show too much was that Aventador had to have its brake pads replaced as well, etc.).

With regard to the latter, sports car sales are way down. Indeed, people today far prefer a sporty SUV. However, not mentioned in the editorial, is that classic car sales are way up (at least in the UK). And I think this all gets to the same point as when Top Gear had a granny and a dog drive one of the latest sports cars.

Now I am clearly old school (and just recently purchased a CGT so was not displeased with the article's conclusions), but I admire and rejoice anytime I see another sports car on the road. The other day, a 430 appeared from behind in Switzerland (a guy and with a cute girlfriend) and so I opened up the taps very playfully which the 430 kindly responded to. So we spent the next 45 minutes trying to outdo each other's sounds in the tunnels. I'll never forget their faces when I hit about 5,000 RPM in second gear (never mind all of the cars suddenly exiting the left lane in front of me) -- yes, the Gates of Hell really did just open up. Anyhow, he did a great job of producing the magical high pitched Ferrari sound as well and we just had so much fun blasting down the freeway. A great Sunday afternoon casual drive. You can't do that in a SUV...
Hi Stephen,

so well written..this is what the fascination about these cars is..your last sentence puts the nail down..and thats why my daily driver, if if a Cayenne one day..is for me more or less a disposable...a C-GT or a GT2-GT3, are just more than cars that bring you from A-B..they are real "cars" rather then "boring transportation means"..

all the best,
Old 08-04-2013, 07:30 PM
nycartdealer
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

Can some one post a scanned image of this article for us in the USA that have not yet received the September issue of EVO
Old 08-05-2013, 03:04 PM
bjornto
AutoX

Scanned article from EVO:

I wasn't able to download the .pdf because of the size. I hope the link to my dropbox will work. Enjoy!
Bjorn

https://www.dropbox.com/s/btbwnewoma...df?n=148219708
Old 08-05-2013, 03:28 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by bjornto
Scanned article from EVO:

I wasn't able to download the .pdf because of the size. I hope the link to my dropbox will work. Enjoy!
Bjorn

https://www.dropbox.com/s/btbwnewoma...df?n=148219708
It works. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:25 PM
nycartdealer
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

EPIC...Thank you...confirmed my own feelings...having driven all of those cars save for an F1 I knew my choice was right
Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

By the way, I have rarely seen the CGT rated below top 10 of sports cars of ALL TIME, but here are too other links which show its relatively high standing:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...s/viewall.html (top 3 overall)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_...op_Sports_Cars (top for 2000s, 8 overall)

It is actually a bargain...

Cheers,

Steve
Old 08-06-2013, 10:42 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The Motortrend link has some glaring deficiencies as I have come to expect from them....The F1 at number 16? 468hp?
Old 08-06-2013, 10:57 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stephen Pitts
By the way, I .........................................................

http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...s/viewall.html (top 3 overall)

Steve
That was such a great article I kept the magazine. I have to agree with the author and his ranking of the cars.

Best, Bret.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Agree mtbscott on the F1 (on both the ranking and obviously the incorrect horsepower -- 621 in '94!). Anyhow, sometimes I think that the reviewers obviously get a little prejudiced towards those who lend them cars and those that don't (watch the UK Top Gear Albania series with the "Bentley" -- its hilarious). I am not sure if they really had a chance to critically review the F1 (but maybe they did). I also feel like there is a little too much nostalgia (or personal history) in some of the ratings -- which is only human!, but honestly cannot speak from a wide experience. I do think the CGT has carved sort a separate section of supercar "real estate" which is generally very highly appreciated and ranked. It is certainly more unique than many other modern super cars.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

I do trust the UK series Top Gear (in general, although I have different preferences than they do) and the EVO reviewers the most -- they have the same philosophy about a car that I do. And so its natural. The article here is a great reaffirmation of a basic driver's principles as a whole and less so as a tribute to the CGT in particular.

I also like Chris Harris a lot who I think can objectively review a car and expresses his own potential prejudices in a very clear, but separate light. I think he hits it right own (although I will give Vicky full credit for her recent review of the CGT; would like to see Chris drive one today!). See Chris' review of the 918 and, for interest, the older GT3 versus the 458 (both in video form).

I do hope the 918 works out for Porsche, by the way, because they are such great guys -- I am just worried that its not going to be "macho" enough for its customer base. It seems a lot of people buy these cars to put them into hibernated storage to show off. I think the 918 is probably a great representation of the latest engineering talent, but doesn't look like -- or have the ridiculous stats -- like a show car as much as some of its competitors (in contrast, I think my little CGT is beyond gorgeous and drives in a totally different way, but then again it appeals to my sense of aesthetics in every way). I prefer a win-win outcome here (no reason it can't be).

Cheers,

Steve
Old 08-07-2013, 05:43 AM
LuckyP
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm enjoying reading your posts Steve. I DEMAND you go for a drive this weekend and come back to tell us all about it!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Thanks LuckyP.

I would, except my car is in the shop this weekend in Porsche Zug (new front underneath protective "bumper" being installed as the old one had some damage -- CHF12,000, a replacement wheel I had put in Monaco for €6,000 is getting painted in Seal Grey to match the other wheels, a few other minor things). But I will write my whole adventure from a few weeks ago which necessitated these repairs -- from Zurich to St. Tropez -- 14 hours and my second day in the car -- which included more challenges than I could have imagined at the time (including being attacked by a "killer scooter" a few days later in St. Tropez). I always insist on the car being like new, so it's never a compromise when the car goes into the shop... Ouch. But I am learning an awful lot on how to avoid some of these going forward.

It will be on another road trip probably end of next week (up through Germany). Or maybe I go to Prague and see some friends... This car redefines "road trip."

Cheers,

Steve
Old 08-08-2013, 02:59 AM
LuckyP
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow.....this'll be a read!!! ta.

Quick Reply: Carrera GT , Joint Winner ; Best Analogue Supercar