Sponsored by:

Yellowing Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 01:09 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is quite funny, and revealing. I will watch it with interest.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:36 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VRAlexander
That is how my car started too...I give it six to eight months before that entire interior/engine bay turns yellow....I have spoken with over 60 CGT owners so far and they are all starting to experiencing the same issue.... I sold all my Porsche stock this morning...when word gets out about Porsche not complying with their warranty things are going to get rocky in that camp! I am also contacting several state and federal automotive agencies to file a complaint against Porsche.

VR,

Sorry to hear of your troubles… In my eyes it’s a true shame that the new and improved PCNA /PAG are only here to tout how well their products are and when
‘warranty’ issues pop out, they are no where to be found..
I’m referring to the first generation of PCCB

So, if there is a ‘class’ action effort on the first generation PCCB- count me in.

Best of luck
Old 07-28-2007, 02:30 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

I understand you guys are frustrated but... have you ever owned any p car with carbon interior bits before? It all yellows cracks or lifts. Or at least 95 percent of it and the 5 percent not doing it being climate controlled garage queens. Its extremely hot where I live during the summer so I'm sure that has something to do with it but as much as I love the CF look but I've always had to refrain myself from adding any carbon to my cars because it seems pretty much inevitable.

I was wondering how long this would take to become an issue.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Stummel
Pro

drove a F50 - it was way more yellow than in Alex' pics.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:04 AM
RufMD
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm having a hard time deciding what is more incredulous....posting vids of yourself driving around Beverly Hills, revving a straight piped CGT and saying you're not seeking attention, OR, launching a class action lawsuit over carbon fiber.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:56 AM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Originally Posted by RufMD
I'm having a hard time deciding what is more incredulous....posting vids of yourself driving around Beverly Hills, revving a straight piped CGT and saying you're not seeking attention, OR, launching a class action lawsuit over carbon fiber.

Now thats funny

Thanks for bringing some humor into this!
Old 07-29-2007, 06:56 AM
netburner
Instructor

Just for my understanding: is that yellowing carbon fibre meaning, that the glue is disintegrating or the carbon will break or is it "just" an optical thing?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

The pigmentation in the carbon fibre is photophobic. Therefore, you need to subject it to higher g-forces to counter the chromomigration leading to the unfortunate decolouration.
Alternatively, if you must driver the car slowly, do so only after sunset when there is no direct light.

R+C
Old 07-29-2007, 02:55 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

If carbon is photophobic, then how is it there so many photos of it? Therapy?
Old 07-29-2007, 03:17 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 78 Posts

the fact is the coating on top of the CF turns yellow regardless under normal driving/weather condition. so, even if Porsche agrees to change everything under warranty all will turn yellow again in about a year or less. then what?

i know that it's a the natural of the material not a defact. again, i'd hate to see the car being taken apart for something i know would come back again.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:31 PM
AmirGT2
Instructor

Originally Posted by 20C4S
the fact is the coating on top of the CF turns yellow regardless under normal driving/weather condition. so, even if Porsche agrees to change everything under warranty all will turn yellow again in about a year or less. then what?

i know that it's a the natural of the material not a defact. again, i'd hate to see the car being taken apart for something i know would come back again.
My door panels are yellowing as well, but guess what? It could start growing fungus and I still think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread!! If Porsche doesn't cover it, and it starts bothering me too much I'll splurge and get it replaced but there is no way in hell I would part with this car over a visual flaw that is inherent in the material to begin with. Just my $0.02.

Amir
Old 07-29-2007, 05:45 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by AmirGT2
My door panels are yellowing as well, but guess what? It could start growing fungus and I still think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread!! If Porsche doesn't cover it, and it starts bothering me too much I'll splurge and get it replaced but there is no way in hell I would part with this car over a visual flaw that is inherent in the material to begin with. Just my $0.02.

Amir
agreed. doesn't bother me.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:32 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 20C4S
This is not the first time that long term durability/sun exposure testing at Porsche has failed miserably. They could select a topcoat with better UV stabilizers rather than using none. Which seems to be the case if the yellowing is in fact occurring in only 12-24 months time.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:40 PM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
This is not the first time that long term durability/sun exposure testing at Porsche has failed miserably. They could select a topcoat with better UV stabilizers rather than using none. Which seems to be the case if the yellowing is in fact occurring in only 12-24 months time.
My attorney tells me that there are several different companies contracted to do the Carbon Fiber on the CGT...If you look at my engine bay, the Carbon Fiber that is on the side (compartment covers) as well as the wheel arches are fine...the rest looks horrid in contrast...
Old 07-29-2007, 10:42 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

just chiming in here because i wear carbon fiber everyday and deal with carbon fiber a lot. I wear a prosthetic leg and the socket is built of carbon fiber and I have a lacquer type of coating over it with graphics. It is under my pants all the time and not exposed to the sun and after a few years the socket starts to gradualy turn yellowish. Maybe it is some kind of reaction of the lacquer and carbon fiber?

Quick Reply: Yellowing Carbon Fiber