Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's The Real Story On CGT Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 12:12 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting thread, but we never did get the final price for that 30K valve adjustment?
Anyone got any real idea of what it'll cost?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:02 AM
1958 Convertible D
Advanced

Originally Posted by macfly
Very interesting thread, but we never did get the final price for that 30K valve adjustment?
McFly -

I'm curious also, but considering that I won't get near 30K miles until sometime in 2015 (if then), it seems pointless to try and verify. If you're trying to calculate the cost of long term ownership of the car, it's probably not a significant item in comparison to the purchase price. If you're considering buying a car that has close to 30K miles on it, you should factor in the cost of the valve adjustment. But where are you going to find a CGT with this many miles? Of the 500 - 600 that will come into North America, I doubt that half of these will ever have more than 10K miles put on them (a shame).

The way things are going, by 2015 the cost of filling the gas tank might be more than the 30K valve adjustment.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Porky
Instructor

The wife and I recently walked into a local OPC and saw a CGT in the flesh - not many in Japan (perhaps because of the USD 700,000 price) and she said we have to get one - the price put her off - think she'd probably start crying the service costs (no doubt they will be double in Japan!!!!)

BUT, I have to say, if money was no object - I would buy one tomorrow. Meanwhile, my 997 is my daily driver and is perfection on 4 wheels!

Any of you guys been to Tokyo? They should call it Porsche City - on my way home this evening from a friends I saw 11 P cars! And we only travelled 2 miles!
Old 08-19-2005, 04:48 PM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well my CGT being in for some warranty work is quickly approaching the 2 week mark. Life with a SUPER CAR they tell me!

- They indicated the battery drain was resolved by a service campaign Porsche had on that particular problem.
- Several other campaigns were done but I have no detail as of yet.
- 1 campaign I passed on was an update to the headlight system to vent air thereby eliminating internal fogging of the housing. This job would require disassembly of the entire front end. I have not seen fogging or condensation so I told them to stay away from that one
- The check engine light has been the big problem with fault codes leading them to believe an issue with the fuel cell venting system. They have not yet found the problem and fear they may need to remove the fuel cell which is not exactly an easy job. They are hoping that the "vent sensor" replacement will take care of it but that part will not be in until next week. If that is not it, they plan on getting Porsche-Germany involved (Ja wohl mein Herr!)

I have been driving around in a new Cayenne "loaner" which is OK but it is not a CGT. Everyone needs to realize that when you start having problems:
- Do not plan on getting your CGT back in 2 days.
- Make sure they give you a brand new Porsche loaner so they do stay focused on getting your car done.
- Get an oil change regardless of the miles
- Hope to hell the problems occur during the warrenty period because god only knows what this stuff is gonna cost after!!

I miss my baby!!
Old 08-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Rasta
Racer

Originally Posted by Polar Peter
...- Hope to hell the problems occur during the warrenty period because god only knows what this stuff is gonna cost after!!...
LOL ! -
Old 08-25-2005, 06:24 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Polar Peter
- Make sure they give you a brand new Porsche loaner so they do stay focused on getting your car done.
Wouldnt have suprised me in the least had you said "While my CGT was being worked on, the Porsche dealer loaned me a 94 Buick Roadmaster wagon that was sitting over in the used car lot that someone traded in ."

Typical.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:40 AM
MB 911
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I just noticed this area.. Yes I have the CGT workshop manuals plus wiring diagrams, OBDII manuals, and a few more service information files...
Old 11-18-2008, 05:41 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 320 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by macfly
My car is currently with Porsche Cars GB for the 4year/30k mile service. The car has covered just short of 18k miles and will be having the engine out valve check service.

I'll post how much it cost in due course. May be worth you guys shipping your GT's over from the US to have it done with the state of Sterling!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:06 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Just had confirmation of the price for the service, £5773 including VAT @ 17.5%.

Plus a new windscreen at £4000! (thankfully my Insurance Co. are picking up the tab).

Last edited by RS Clubsport; 11-21-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:18 PM
netburner
Instructor

Just got a copy of the 60.000km service bill of a good friend.

Including new brakes, new brakepads and a new clutch it is more than a new fully equipped Mini Cooper S costs here in Germany...
Old 11-27-2008, 09:21 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Thought I'd add a few pictures of the engine whilst it's out of the car:

Old 11-27-2008, 07:21 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Last night I dreamt I was driving a yellow CGT. It was sooo awesome. When the dream was over I was crying so now I'm over here living vicariously through your service bills!
Old 11-28-2008, 07:39 AM
RufMD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the pics John, very reasonable service cost for the valve job.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:32 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Polar Peter

You are going to enjoy your scuderia...very fast/fun street car with a great suspension!!!

Richk
Old 11-28-2008, 11:37 AM
JamesGT3RS
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RS Clubsport
Just had confirmation of the price for the service, £5773 including VAT @ 17.5%.

Plus a new windscreen at £4000! (thankfully my Insurance Co. are picking up the tab).
How much did you have left on the clutch? I'm guessing quite a bit!

Quick Reply: What's The Real Story On CGT Maintenance