Sponsored by:

So what do you guys do for a living?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

I remember reading this thread years ago .. here are my 0.02

- Try to find those things that you enjoy doing so much that it doesn't feel like work. In order to be at the top of the game there is no shortcut to working hard and spending tons of time on that craft. It better be fun. Also it helps a lot if you can identify a real business problem area so that you can make some money in the process. For me, it was making things (from legos, to circuits, software, anything). So I found my way out of college into enterprise software product development and have been doing that since.
- Surround yourself with A+ great people you want to share your life with not just 'co workers'. Thats how greatness and magic happens.
- Be lucky
Old 05-02-2014, 09:42 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
- Try to find those things that you enjoy doing so much that it doesn't feel like work. In order to be at the top of the game there is no shortcut to working hard and spending tons of time on that craft. It better be fun. Also it helps a lot if you can identify a real business problem area so that you can make some money in the process. For me, it was making things (from legos, to circuits, software, anything). So I found my way out of college into enterprise software product development and have been doing that since.
- Surround yourself with A+ great people you want to share your life with not just 'co workers'. Thats how greatness and magic happens.
- Be lucky
Who was it that said "luck is the result of preparedness meeting opportunity" (or something like that)?

Great advice superquant!
Old 05-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Who was it that said "luck is the result of preparedness meeting opportunity" (or something like that)?

Great advice superquant!
That or write a computer program that will be bought for millions of dollars a few years later.

I'm looking for opportunities that eventually will be acquired, to start a business for the intention to sell off later.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:32 PM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 57 Posts

NYC property owner. Started buying apartment buildings in Harlem in early 80's with my dad's last $50k. The "garbage" no one wanted to own back then is now "gold". It has been a long and tough journey but hard work and patience with a little luck pays off most of the time.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:50 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 474 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by CGT000
NYC property owner. Started buying apartment buildings in Harlem in early 80's with my dad's last $50k. The "garbage" no one wanted to own back then is now "gold". It has been a long and tough journey but hard work and patience with a little luck pays off most of the time.
We should talk...
Old 05-06-2014, 08:31 PM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinS
We should talk...
PM me.

Quick Reply: So what do you guys do for a living?