Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer wants to charge us $12k for the

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 09:53 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

The same set up for a Honda would cost few $$,for an average sports car ( msrp around $75,000 ) it might be $2000,for a higher end sports car like ferrari 355/360/GT2 ( msrp around $200,000 ) it might be close to $3000 so what would you expect for a car that has an msrp of $500,000 car Am i missing something here ?
Old 05-12-2005, 09:57 PM
themarsman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
My dealer quoted me $11,750, including installation (alignment extra).

After driving my CGT around for 600 miles, I can't imagine getting my money's worth of benefit from only 394 mils of additional ground clearance. I know what it takes to make the car scrape. It would need about a whole inch to get me even interested. 10 mm isn't enough to matter to me.

Knowing that the car was designed at standard height to give rated aerodynamic down-force, I'm opting to live with the standard ride height. I'll just be $11,750 more careful
I came to the same conclusion, 10mm probably wouldn’t help enough to be very useful. If it was a thousand dollar option I might try it just to see but at the price they are quoting I don’t see anyone going with this option.

Maybe they priced it so that they could make back their development by just selling a couple of them. I can see the marketing guys, well it costs us 50 dollars in parts and we had an engineer working on it for two months so lets charge 10K.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:01 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe they priced that way because they don't want to do it, but it's a way of quelling complaints.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:02 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Colm
You are so right, I'm still dithering over this car, but what I see about maintenance costs gives me additional pause. I can't help but think there is a "double whammy" here. High maintenance prices, when understood will have an additional negative impact on the initial depreciation levels of the car. Combine that with the current high level of oversupply (a lot of dealers have them available) and you have the recipe for a financial disaster. Emotionally, however, the car still has a lot of appeal.

I really wish that Porsche hadn't gotten so greedy; and stuck to their orginal pricing ($375K) and production (1000) targets. They managed to turn a "winner" into a "loser".
if you guys think this is bad, wait til it's time for an oil change. my dealer said it's 8 to 9 hours labor!
Old 05-12-2005, 10:05 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by W8MM
My dealer quoted me $11,750, including installation (alignment extra).

After driving my CGT around for 600 miles, I can't imagine getting my money's worth of benefit from only 394 mils of additional ground clearance. I know what it takes to make the car scrape. It would need about a whole inch to get me even interested. 10 mm isn't enough to matter to me.

Knowing that the car was designed at standard height to give rated aerodynamic down-force, I'm opting to live with the standard ride height. I'll just be $11,750 more careful
yeah, truth is my garage is the only thing that pisses me off re: the ride height. i can live with taking a different route into and out of my neighborhood as well as ruling out 1/2 the gas stations out there. it would be nice though to be able to take the car anywhere i wanted, but i agree that 10 mm is not likely to change that much - though it would take care of my garage issue. i probably won't do it just for that.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:42 PM
ScottW
Advanced

Ben,

Couldn't you get your garage/driveway regraded for less than 12k. I remember seeing the pics of you trying to back your car into the garage when you first got it.

-Scott
Old 05-12-2005, 11:34 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

..and I hear the engine might have to come out for the 30K mile service, if the valves need adjustment!
Old 05-13-2005, 12:04 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

..and I hear the engine might have to come out for the 30K mile service, if the valves need adjustment
This is standard procedure for the Ferarri guys. Welcome to the world of supercars.

For $12K you ought to be able to fix the driveway.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:24 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottW
Ben,

Couldn't you get your garage/driveway regraded for less than 12k.
even if it could be done (it can't - i'm on a hill and the top floor/garage is on the street level), it would be considerably more than $12k (it's stamped/colored concrete w/ an integrated storm drain).
Old 05-14-2005, 04:02 PM
j9000
Cruisin'

PSS9? Oh.. we have PSS9 that cost $2000 but of course it's not CGT. I would say wow.. $12K for 10mm.. hm
Old 05-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by themarsman
I came to the same conclusion, 10mm probably wouldn’t help enough to be very useful. If it was a thousand dollar option I might try it just to see but at the price they are quoting I don’t see anyone going with this option.

Maybe they priced it so that they could make back their development by just selling a couple of them. I can see the marketing guys, well it costs us 50 dollars in parts and we had an engineer working on it for two months so lets charge 10K.
My suggestion FWIW is get as many US owners to band together and send a letter to Porsche of NA complaining about the ground clearance and pricing for a fix. I am willing to wager most CGT owner's are long time Porsche owner's and will have considerable clout in affected a change on the part of Porsche.

You have nothing to lose. Also, I agree with Gary. If this fix would not make a substantial difference, Porsche would not be offering it especially for over $12,000. You all should get it done if the price is right. I have no doubt it will enhance your enjoyment of the car.

Quick Reply: Dealer wants to charge us $12k for the