Sponsored by:

Radar detector install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Radar detector install?

Has anybody installed anything in their CGT yet? Any tips you can offer?
Old 04-08-2005, 06:37 PM
themarsman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to go with the Passport SRX, I haven't installed it yet but it looks like I should be able to install everything without drilling any holes and can make everything removable if needed. They have a nice display that is going to mount to the right of the steering column, just under the dash. Their entire unit has phone plugs so you only have to tie into the power at one spot.

The coverage isn't quite as good as the Valentine One, but it also has laser shifting which is supposed to make it impossible to get a speed reading on the car using laser.

I like the idea of having a completely stealth install so if I am pulled over the officer won't be looking at a beeping detector.

I was able to buy the unit on ebay for $625 + shipping.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Ray G
Pro

Originally Posted by themarsman
I decided to go with the Passport SRX, I haven't installed it yet but it looks like I should be able to install everything without drilling any holes and can make everything removable if needed. They have a nice display that is going to mount to the right of the steering column, just under the dash. Their entire unit has phone plugs so you only have to tie into the power at one spot.

The coverage isn't quite as good as the Valentine One, but it also has laser shifting which is supposed to make it impossible to get a speed reading on the car using laser.

I like the idea of having a completely stealth install so if I am pulled over the officer won't be looking at a beeping detector.

I was able to buy the unit on ebay for $625 + shipping.
I like the laser shifter system. I have a Passport SR7 system with laser shifters installed on my 360, with the detectors hidden discreetly. How are you planning to mount your detectors? Have you decided how to run power to it?

I had a local shop that specializes in expensive cars quote me over $4k for an install of the the SR7 system on my CGT, and that was with the P shop actually performing about $2k in labor to remove panels for them! I declined that offer...

If you do the install yourself, can you post some pictures? Thanks!
Old 04-09-2005, 01:02 AM
themarsman
Racer

I am planning on mounting the front two laser shifters and radar detection unit in the front air dam by using industrial double sided tape and routing the cables through the underbody panels and into the main compartment through some existing grommets. The rear laser shifter mounts above the rear license plate and routing of the cable hopefully won't be too difficult. With this unit the only spot you have to get power is the central unit and I will attatch that to the wires that are feeding the cig. lighter.

I haven't removed the panels yet so this is somewhat speculation at this point. I have a drive on lift that will allow me to get easy access to the underside of my car. Once I have the car lifted and removed some of the panels underneath I should have a much better idea of what is involved. I will take pictures of the whole process that I can post for you and others.

I think I have to do this install sooner rather than later if I want to keep my license!
Old 04-09-2005, 01:14 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

The coverage isn't quite as good as the Valentine One, but it also has laser shifting which is supposed to make it impossible to get a speed reading on the car using laser. .
yeah, i had the SRX installed in one of my cars and put the V1 up also to do a test from central fla to miami and back on the turnpike. "isn't quite as good" is a gross understatement. i ripped the SRX out and sold it as soon as i got back. further, without the V1 i would have had my a## handed to me because if not for the arrows and counter, i would have missed the final sneaky cop in a trap set up by the FHP.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:27 AM
Ray G
Pro

Originally Posted by ben in lj
yeah, i had the SRX installed in one of my cars and put the V1 up also to do a test from central fla to miami and back on the turnpike. "isn't quite as good" is a gross understatement. i ripped the SRX out and sold it as soon as i got back. further, without the V1 i would have had my a## handed to me because if not for the arrows and counter, i would have missed the final sneaky cop in a trap set up by the FHP.
Is the SRX/SR7 worth having for the laser part?

How do you have your V1 mounted? Does it have a view out the back between the seats? I was thinking of mounting it in the rear window, where I could see it via the rear view mirror.

God, if any car needs "electronic counter-measures", this is it!
Old 04-09-2005, 01:28 AM
themarsman
Racer

I have the SRX installed in my NSX and I also did the side by side test and the notfication of the V1 in some circumstances occured maybe a second or two earlier. So I don't think my statement that it isn't quite as good is a gross understatement. I have a V1 mounted in my Mercedes permantly with the remote display and like it a lot, there isn't anywhere on the CGT where I feel leaving a V1 out all the time wouldn't be an eye sore or dangerous. I like the counter and the direction finder on the V1, but with the SRX I just take any alert as a serious one and don't discount it because it normally goes off in a certain location. I also feel the laser shifter is important and would get me out of a lot more tickets than the counter and direction finder.

Good luck finding a way to mount the V1, I certainly haven't found a location I would be comfortable having it in my car on a permanent basis. If you do come up with something I would love to see some pictures as I might have both detectors installed.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:33 AM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by Ray G

How do you have your V1 mounted? Does it have a view out the back between the seats? I was thinking of mounting it in the rear window, where I could see it via the rear view mirror.

The SRX is worth it to me for the Laser shifting as more and more cops are using it in Michigan and detectors are useless for laser.

I thought about mounting the V1 on the rear ledge also but rear visibilty is bad enough already so I would rather not mess with that further and it would be visible by police and thieves.

I agree about the car needing some counter measures, it would of been nice if Porsche would of installed it at the factory!
Old 04-09-2005, 01:34 AM
Ray G
Pro

I am planning on mounting the front two laser shifters and radar detection unit in the front air dam by using industrial double sided tape and routing the cables through the underbody panels and into the main compartment through some existing grommets. The rear laser shifter mounts above the rear license plate and routing of the cable hopefully won't be too difficult. With this unit the only spot you have to get power is the central unit and I will attatch that to the wires that are feeding the cig. lighter.

I haven't removed the panels yet so this is somewhat speculation at this point. I have a drive on lift that will allow me to get easy access to the underside of my car. Once I have the car lifted and removed some of the panels underneath I should have a much better idea of what is involved. I will take pictures of the whole process that I can post for you and others.

I think I have to do this install sooner rather than later if I want to keep my license!
That sounds like a reasonable plan, except that I wonder how well double-stick tape will work - either it will be so strong that it will never come off, or it will be too weak to hold at > 150 mph. Please do keep us informed.

I think my dealer wants several hours labor to R & R the underbody panels. There are something like over a hundred screws, with different torque settings.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:58 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray G

the lazer is such a rare occurence, and the v1 picks it up too. besides, once you're lazered, you're screwed. it's akin to instant on. the reason you "supposedly" put it on the tag is because that's where cops aim laser (or on headlights). once they hit it, you're done - no time to react. if you're hoping to pick up lazer overspray, i fail to see why having a V1 on our dash is any less good than having something on your tags (which are lower). in fact, lazer is so rare it only goes off on certain car tail lights :-) yes, the V1 sees fine between the seats and that's in at least a dozen cars i've had it in.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:03 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the SRX installed in my NSX and I also did the side by side test and the notfication of the V1 in some circumstances occured maybe a second or two earlier. So I don't think my statement that it isn't quite as good is a gross understatement. Good luck finding a way to mount the V1, I certainly haven't found a location I would be comfortable having it in my car on a permanent basis. If you do come up with something I would love to see some pictures as I might have both detectors installed.
"maybe a second or two earlier" was the difference between me being at the 50 mph speed limit from considerably more than that (and accelerating) today when i narrowly escaped being clocked speeding.

i just put it in the middle of the windshield. i'm contemplating putting it up high on the windsheild with the remote on the top of the steering column when mike gets back to us. he probably has a much better option as well.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:30 PM
themarsman
Racer

the lazer is such a rare occurence, and the v1 picks it up too. besides, once you're lazered, you're screwed. it's akin to instant on. the reason you "supposedly" put it on the tag is because that's where cops aim laser (or on headlights). once they hit it, you're done - no time to react. if you're hoping to pick up lazer overspray, i fail to see why having a V1 on our dash is any less good than having something on your tags (which are lower). in fact, lazer is so rare it only goes off on certain car tail lights :-) yes, the V1 sees fine between the seats and that's in at least a dozen cars i've had it in.
The laser unit isn't on the SRX isn't just a detector it is a "shifter" which basically means when it detects laser it sends back a signal that is out of sync with the original so that the laser gun doesn't get a reading. This has been tested in many different magazines and works great, they weren't able to get a speed reading even when the car was within 25 feet. This is also perfectly legal because light isn't regulated by the FCC so it doesn't fall under the same classification as Radar Jammers.

Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of the V1's and I have three of them, but I don't see a way that I can put one in the CGT that will rival what I am going to get with the SRX. The cost of putting in the SRX will be much higher as the main unit costs more and the labor to put it in will be much higher also. To me the laser shifting and the stealth install is worth it though.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

You don't need the SRX for the laser jamming abilities. You can get a laser diffuser (laser shifter as Passport likes to call it) that is just for laser jamming, and then get a V1 for radar detection if you prefer the V1. From the various tests I have seen, the top rated laser jammers are Lidatek's and Blinder's. That way you have the best radar detector (V1) and the best laser jammer of your choice.
Just my two cents.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the passport system as well... I'm so pleased with this unit.

Here are some pics of where it's installed in my c4s cab...

PASSPORT PICS
Old 04-09-2005, 08:02 PM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by riad
I have the passport system as well... I'm so pleased with this unit.

Here are some pics of where it's installed in my c4s cab...

PASSPORT PICS
That is a nice clean install!

After looking closer at the original picture I was able to see it was mounted horizontally.

Quick Reply: Radar detector install?