Sponsored by:

My first issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 01:13 AM
themarsman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first issue

While driving my CGT yesterday, I came up over a hill and there was a small dead animal in the middle of the street. Probably a skunk or cat, couldn't really tell as it looked like it had been there for a while.

Well there was no way to avoid hitting it without risking a collision with something much larger so I hit the animal. It was pretty small so it didn't hit the carbon fibre just the little black plastic piece underneath the grill. It broke out a small section of this piece though. I called the dealership today and they want over $300 for the small plastic piece. I have a friend who is a magician with fiberglass / carbon so I am thinking of having him make up a mold for this piece as I am sure it will take more abuse on these Michigan roads.

After talking with him he mentioned that other Porsches have rubber strips instead of hard plastic ones and this might hold up better and protect the grill more than something hard.

I was wondering what you guys thought might be a better solution and has anyone heard about the kit to raise up the CGT that was mentioned here previously? I am also having the issue with the lights fogging up when pulling back into my garage, have they came up with a fix for this yet?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:24 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by themarsman
While driving my CGT yesterday, I came up over a hill and there was a small dead animal in the middle of the street. Probably a skunk or cat, couldn't really tell as it looked like it had been there for a while.

Well there was no way to avoid hitting it without risking a collision with something much larger so I hit the animal. It was pretty small so it didn't hit the carbon fibre just the little black plastic piece underneath the grill. It broke out a small section of this piece though. I called the dealership today and they want over $300 for the small plastic piece. I have a friend who is a magician with fiberglass / carbon so I am thinking of having him make up a mold for this piece as I am sure it will take more abuse on these Michigan roads.

After talking with him he mentioned that other Porsches have rubber strips instead of hard plastic ones and this might hold up better and protect the grill more than something hard.

I was wondering what you guys thought might be a better solution and has anyone heard about the kit to raise up the CGT that was mentioned here previously? I am also having the issue with the lights fogging up when pulling back into my garage, have they came up with a fix for this yet?

Thanks!
yeah, i managed to find the only concrete parking block in 20 parking spaces a while back with mine. i just put the black piece back (it was only scrached up, fell off, but not broken) and plan to repaint it with a spray can someday if it ever really bothers me. $300 is a stupid price to pay for this little metal strip which isn't made out of anything special.

nope, no news on the raise kit. my suspicion is that if they stop production in 7/05 for US models as rumored, it won't be offered gratis - if it's offered at all, given it won't be necessary for them to do so to sell cars.

all this said, how can you not love the best though!
Old 03-11-2005, 04:40 PM
themarsman
Racer

The dealership just called and said that it is going to cost $511, apparantly they priced the one on the GT3 and not the Carrera GT.

I canceled the order and I am planning making my own, I don't mind a car company making a fair profit on something but this is ridiculous.

When I can hire someone to make a part that will be better than the original for less money it is crazy. I am having him make he up a spare as I am sure that I will need it in the future if they don't come up with some type of a raise kit for the car.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:34 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

How big is the piece? Can you post a picture? From your description it sounds like you could probably just pour a mold with $50 worth of RTV silicone and then cast a replacement with a glass (or milled kevlar) filled polyurethane for next to nothing.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:57 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
How big is the piece? Can you post a picture? From your description it sounds like you could probably just pour a mold with $50 worth of RTV silicone and then cast a replacement with a glass (or milled kevlar) filled polyurethane for next to nothing.
i assume the piece he is referring to is the black one found under the bumper in this pic:

ps. as far as i know, they still don't have a fix for the fogged up lights. it took em a year+ on the cayenne (you think they'd have checked for a similar problem on the CGT after becomming error of the design flaw in the cayennes). besides, who needs fully functional headlights in a car designed to go 205 mph

Last edited by ben in lj; 03-11-2005 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:07 PM
themarsman
Racer

Yes it is that small black plastic strip under the grill, I am going to take mine off tonight and I will take some pictures with it off the car.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:24 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes it is that small black plastic strip under the grill, I am going to take mine off tonight and I will take some pictures with it off the car.
$515 for that piece given it didn't seem like any kind of special metal to me seems way stupid (but then again $15k for paint to sample, $8500 to paint brake calipers a special color, $20k for 20 hp "power kits", etc). that said, i wouldn't recommend driving it until you get that fixed (either by self-fabrication or the pcar dealer) because it saved your much much more expensive carbon fiber nose. that is a LARGE piece and is big bucks.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:37 PM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by ben in lj
$515 for that piece given it didn't seem like any kind of special metal to me seems way stupid (but then again $15k for paint to sample, $8500 to paint brake calipers a special color, $20k for 20 hp "power kits", etc). that said, i wouldn't recommend driving it until you get that fixed (either by self-fabrication or the pcar dealer) because it saved your much much more expensive carbon fiber nose. that is a LARGE piece and is big bucks.
I am not planning on driving it with the piece removed as it does protect the front end from scraping. I don't think it saved me with this animal though, I think it would of cleared if I didn't have that front lip.

I haven't seen that 20K for 20hp power kits, where are those? It doesn't seem like it would be worthwhile for someone to build an upgrade for this engine, it also doesn't seem necessary either!
Old 03-11-2005, 11:43 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys, it is sweet to read these posts and listen to the CGT being discussed as if it was almost a normal car. Congrats on your ability to own one and thank you for actually driving them!
Old 03-11-2005, 11:46 PM
themarsman
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Guys, it is sweet to read these posts and listen to the CGT being discussed as if it was almost a normal car. Congrats on your ability to own one and thank you for actually driving them!
Very glad to do my part!!!
Old 03-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Curt911
Pro

I don't think it was a skunk, since your not complaining about the smell that won't go away (TG)...

make sure to post a pic of the one your guy fabs... I'm sure it will be a future hot topic once the others get some miles on them.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:39 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

I haven't seen that 20K for 20hp power kits, where are those?
after i posted that i was afraid it was poorly written and that lumping CGT options for paint with X50 and X51 referrences would cause confusion.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:36 PM
1958 Convertible D
Advanced

Originally Posted by ben in lj
nope, no news on the raise kit. my suspicion is that if they stop production in 7/05 for US models as rumored, it won't be offered gratis - if it's offered at all, given it won't be necessary for them to do so to sell cars.

all this said, how can you not love the best though!
Ben - are we feeding off the same rumors, or have you heard anything specific? It's a fact that all PCNA orders for 2006 model CGT's had to be configured and finalized by 2/28/05. My guess is that Porsche won't fulfill any PCNA orders after 2005, but that's just a guess.

FYI - If someone builds an inexpensive front bumper guard, I'd be interested in buying one also.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Mikey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to pay $250 for the same thing on the GT3 with less than 1500 miles and appreciate the frustration. I think Porsche expects the drivers of GT cars to be as focused as the car itself. Amazing how you begin to notice every imperfection in the road a soon as you pay a few hundred bucks for one of these
Old 03-12-2005, 04:43 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Ironic that when driven on the road the sportier/quicker Porsche models ( C-GT/GT2/GT3) require scanning the road ahead CLOSER to you( for vermin and frost heaves , etc) than much farther , as it should be .

Quick Reply: My first issue