Sponsored by:

Another CGT bite the dust

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 11:50 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 21 Posts

This car belongs to a friend of mine in Scottsdale, AZ. He was in the car with another friend who is also a carnut. Neither of these guys is irresponsible. Both claim that grip was lost on an upshift from first to second on a curve and the car first struck the curb then went airborne before coming to a rest. I wasnt there, so I can't give a first hand account, but you all might think about something other than casting stones until you've been in their shoes, especially those who've yet to drive, much less own one of these machines. I loved my first one, and can't wait for my next one, but I dont know if this was driver error or vehicle failure. Until I know for sure, I'll refrain from being so judgemental. No flaming intended, but jeez, some of us are really quick to cast that first stone.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

labcars: didnt this black mishap happen 6 months ago??
Old 02-04-2005, 11:29 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MARTY KAYE
labcars: didnt this black mishap happen 6 months ago??
Martykaye, it happened right around xmas time. I got a call from him about an hour after it happened.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:08 AM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 88 Posts

It's definately at Porsche North Scottsdale because the blonde in the picture is my service advisor.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:20 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Shifting during a curve? Sounds like a good idea . . .

I remember, when learning, always being told not to do that . . .

Kind of like lifting off the throttle mid corner.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:40 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by labcars
Both claim that grip was lost on an upshift from first to second on a curve and the car first struck the curb then went airborne before coming to a rest.
despite my limited experience (a couple thousand miles) during two months of ownership, that story sounds either fishy or incomplete. given the cornering ability of this car and the low speed with which first would top out along with the RPMs there, something is just not jiving. now if they were redlining it in 1st in a decreasing radius corner or something when they shifted into 2nd... but that would be stupid in most cars.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:10 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Again, I wasn't there, but for those of you who've spent time in Scottsdale, or the desert generally, you know how how gritty and sandy the roads can get. In the area where the accident took place, it is often that way as it is mostly still open, undeveloped land. All I can tell you is that sh*t happens that is not always driver error. In any event, don't feel to badly for my buddy. While his CGT is getting repaired, he's geting lots of seat time in his SLR (in which I got a peeding ticket last Sunday in the same area as he had his CGT incident).
Old 02-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do you CGT owners thinks it's possible to get into a situation where you can't correct in time? Given the rear weight bias in the CGT and the special tires, it seems once the back end goes, you may not be able to correct it in time to avoid hitting something, especially on a two-lane highway. Several road tests, including the Top Gear test, seem to imply this could occur. Any real-life experience?
Old 02-06-2005, 06:44 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill S.
Do you CGT owners thinks it's possible to get into a situation where you can't correct in time? Given the rear weight bias in the CGT and the special tires, it seems once the back end goes, you may not be able to correct it in time to avoid hitting something, especially on a two-lane highway. Several road tests, including the Top Gear test, seem to imply this could occur. Any real-life experience?
Hey Bill, this could happen in any car. That said, I very much enjoy driving the CGT sideways and find it to be as easy or easier to control than most other cars I've driven - you just have to be delicate with the throttle if using it during the correction. If that's you Bill, it handles a lot like your CS - a similarly balanced mid-engine (with much smaller contact patches and grip). The main difference in controlling the CGT is that the limits are SO high that when you do exceed them, things are moving (and happening) considerably faster.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ben in lj
The main difference in controlling the CGT is that the limits are SO high that when you do exceed them, things are moving (and happening) considerably faster.
Hi Ben. That's me. I was expecting (and hoping) you'd chime in.

I wondered if it's just because you're going so much faster that it's easier to loose it on the street when it breaks. I guess the question is, how do you know how fast to go when the street surface is so unpredictable (e.g., sand, leaves, oil, etc)?

I've lost if several times over the years because of a bad surface, so I drive much slower these days.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:36 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Ben. That's me. I was expecting (and hoping) you'd chime in.

I wondered if it's just because you're going so much faster that it's easier to loose it on the street when it breaks. I guess the question is, how do you know how fast to go when the street surface is so unpredictable (e.g., sand, leaves, oil, etc)?

I've lost if several times over the years because of a bad surface, so I drive much slower these days.
honestly, i haven't found it much easier to lose - maybe even to the contrary. also, i think you'll find the traction control useful on the street. so far, every time i've gotten into "big-eyed" producing rear movement in the mountains, it has communicated well what was happening and responded beautifully to corrective imputs. as to "how fast", that ? is answered the same way in the cgt as it is in any other car. then again, the car is so communicative and responsive that it's probably answered easier in it than in most cars. bottomline is the car should be respected though not feared. and just like any new high performance car you acquire, you should spend some time getting it out of shape in a safe place to learn it's personality before getting too nuts in the mountains. that said, i bet you could turn it up several notches (in the corners) above what you do in any of your current cars without even remotely getting near the point of worry. even there, the car could give you the cotton mouth inducing fun it does me :-) (btw, it's the first car i've ever driven on the street or track which gives me cotton mouth!).
Old 02-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ben in lj
(btw, it's the first car i've ever driven on the street or track which gives me cotton mouth!).
Thanks Ben! BTW, cotton mouth? Is that because it's topless and the wind dries out your mouth more than your other cars?
Old 02-06-2005, 10:56 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ben! BTW, cotton mouth? Is that because it's topless and the wind dries out your mouth more than your other cars?
It does it with the tops on too! It's never happened in any other car - open or closed top!
Old 02-10-2005, 12:52 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

Labcars,
Not to hijack this thread, but were you by chance driving around Pima Rd on Jan 29 by the post office/general store (don't know the crossroad) with your 94 Turbo S Flatnose? I live out here in NC and was there for Barrett Jackson and saw a red Flatnose driving around. I only know of one other, out her in NC owned by Bob Ingram, see Ingram Collection

nice car....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 02-11-2005, 08:12 AM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by naroescape
Labcars,
Not to hijack this thread, but were you by chance driving around Pima Rd on Jan 29 by the post office/general store (don't know the crossroad) with your 94 Turbo S Flatnose? I live out here in NC and was there for Barrett Jackson and saw a red Flatnose driving around. I only know of one other, out her in NC owned by Bob Ingram, see Ingram Collection

nice car....
Yup, that would be me. Same day I got my first speeding ticket in 12 years. Not in the flatnose, but in an SLR. I split my time between Phila and Scottsdale, so let me know the next time you'll be in either place and we'll find something fun to go for a ride in.

Quick Reply: Another CGT bite the dust