Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should the GT have been given more power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Danton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should the GT have been given more power?

Considering that the Ford GT runs very close lap times with it and that the Enzo is faster all around do you think 650hp would have been more appropriate for Porsches flagship? Also seeing how fast the new F430 is I figure for the new 997tt to be competitive will start nipping on the heals of the GT which Porche doesn't want. What do you guys think? I'm a die-hard Porsche fan so don't get me wrong....
Old 01-15-2005, 05:08 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 473 Likes on 317 Posts

I think the car offers plenty as is, just my opinion, its the full driving experience that counts.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:43 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems to me that Porsche usually brings out a new model and then seems to find more power a bit down the road in its life. As if the greater power was there all along, particularly when the race version hits the pavement. Someone said that Porsche designs a race car and then de-tunes it for production as a passenger car, contrary to the way other manufacturers do it. Give it a little time, and watch for a more powerful model to be exposed.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:11 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron_H
It seems to me that Porsche usually brings out a new model and then seems to find more power a bit down the road in its life. As if the greater power was there all along, particularly when the race version hits the pavement. Someone said that Porsche designs a race car and then de-tunes it for production as a passenger car, contrary to the way other manufacturers do it. Give it a little time, and watch for a more powerful model to be exposed.
Normally I'd agree with you, but those mid-life updates seem present only on the "normal" Porsche models. The rare-ubercars don't seem to get the refreshenings... which is pretty understandable considering undermining a group of potential early-ubercar customers by allowing mid-life updates on them. Who knows though. Time will tell, right?

Quick Reply: Should the GT have been given more power?