What comes after the CGT

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 11:52 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
The "euro strength" issue is a myth, Porsche raised the price because they thought they could. Remember, Porsche is the company that touts their prowess at hedging transactions.

Think Greed, aided by the dealer network (fueled in the dot.com era), and now the chickens are coming home to roost!
so the facts the USD price rose by the same % the Euro appreciated vs. the USD and the Euro price for the car has remained unchanged since the beginning of time are just coincidences?
Old 01-15-2005, 02:34 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

More of a manipulation than a coincidence!

Driven by perceived strength of demand in an over exuberant economy, which was further "fueled" by bogus dealer deposits. If you're going to raise the production numbers, you may as well raise the price. Especially since the Dealers are commited to the cars..it will be a long,long time before Dealers again put down their own money to speculate on "limited production" cars.

Has Porsche inadvertantly taught the speculating dealers a not so subtle lesson, or was it one of those vast conspiracies, or just plain greed and stupidity? I have heard of one Dealership that kept all 6 of it's deposits internal. And, I do know that California dealers (normally a strong market) are not picking up any loose allocations that become available. Another strong sign of a very weak market.

Some spedulate that the excess cars here will become "floaters", and make their way back to Europe, but there is no sign of that happening throught the auction process, as it did with early Cayennes. Also the European Economy is still very anemic so no help there

It's impossible to know for sure, but that is my speculation based on the monitoring I've been doing. I think I soured on this car when they raised the price and production, after I'd put down my deposit. I still hope they slash production, but that's never been the Porsche way..and if the Dealers are on the hook why should they? Afterall, the Dealers had customers..Right?

If they do manufacture and sell all 1500 at MSRP then of course I'll be the first to admit that I was dead wrong.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:19 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Colm
More of a manipulation than a coincidence!

Driven by perceived strength of demand in an over exuberant economy, which was further "fueled" by bogus dealer deposits. If you're going to raise the production numbers, you may as well raise the price. Especially since the Dealers are commited to the cars..it will be a long,long time before Dealers again put down their own money to speculate on "limited production" cars.

Has Porsche inadvertantly taught the speculating dealers a not so subtle lesson, or was it one of those vast conspiracies, or just plain greed and stupidity? I have heard of one Dealership that kept all 6 of it's deposits internal. And, I do know that California dealers (normally a strong market) are not picking up any loose allocations that become available. Another strong sign of a very weak market.

Some spedulate that the excess cars here will become "floaters", and make their way back to Europe, but there is no sign of that happening throught the auction process, as it did with early Cayennes. Also the European Economy is still very anemic so no help there

It's impossible to know for sure, but that is my speculation based on the monitoring I've been doing. I think I soured on this car when they raised the price and production, after I'd put down my deposit. I still hope they slash production, but that's never been the Porsche way..and if the Dealers are on the hook why should they? Afterall, the Dealers had customers..Right?

If they do manufacture and sell all 1500 at MSRP then of course I'll be the first to admit that I was dead wrong.
I know of a CA dealer with 8 spots (all internal) who is planning to just let the deposits die! I too highly doubt 1500 will be sold at MSRP.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:07 PM
DMin
Instructor

Porsche's perceived plight with the C-GT makes me wonder what Mercedes-Benz is going to do with their "hypercar", the Mercedes McLaren SLR. They are slated to build a projected 500 cars a year for 7 years. Do they really think that they can sell 3500 of those things at roughly the same price as the C-GT?
Old 01-31-2005, 11:34 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In 2007/8 according to Autocar,

A "baby" GT will be released. Basically it will compete with the Gallardo and F430, 2 cars who are basically the only ones who compete for the new "mini" super car segment, a segment which was created by Audi with the intorduction of the Gallardo.

The 911 series I think will get further and further from being the flagship for Porsche, in my opinion. I would say that this new min GTcar would get all of the new developments to come out of Porsche R&D (as slight as it may be with the lack of a racing program.).

Quick Reply: What comes after the CGT