Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What comes after the CGT

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 10:18 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While we're talking values and mark ups I wonder if some of you who own CGT's might care to speculate at what the depreciation over a period of say 5 years might be. I'd dearly love one, but it is way out of my ballpark at MSRP, so I'm really hoping they'll come down to my cost/ability in time.

I also wonder if there are any reliability or service cost issues that have come up with the valvetrain & it's shim adjustments.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Sobe
Pro

I feel you macfly ... this car is frustrating me and I am actually trying to find a way to get one when it is completely really out of my price league right now . I can remember picking up a 89 speedster on tourist delivery and seeing people in Germany picking up 959's . It did not bother me becuase you could not get them in the U.S. I just admired them and was happy for the people over there that could have them . The CGT is different you can have one here and they are out there for sale right now today street legal in the U.S. ......
Old 01-05-2005, 11:45 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 465 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Rasta
Does anybody know the current markup on the CGT. Understand dealers stand to make about 7K for 997 C2's and double that for 997 C2S'. I gotta assume there is at least 25K of profit for the CGT's?
$25k on the CGT.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:37 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by macfly
While we're talking values and mark ups I wonder if some of you who own CGT's might care to speculate at what the depreciation over a period of say 5 years might be. I'd dearly love one, but it is way out of my ballpark at MSRP, so I'm really hoping they'll come down to my cost/ability in time.

I also wonder if there are any reliability or service cost issues that have come up with the valvetrain & it's shim adjustments.
leasing companies are using $175k ish numbers for residuals after 5 years. of course after 5 years, the $150k motor is out of warranty as are many other expensive tough to get parts.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Rasta
Racer

Originally Posted by ben in lj
It's appx $25k, and it's a heck of a lot more for the 997s than $7. I believe the market up is in the 18% neighborhood on all Pcars save for the CGT which Porsche hosed dealers on.
Interesting - thanks!
Old 01-06-2005, 08:06 AM
Rasta
Racer

Originally Posted by ben in lj
leasing companies are using $175k ish numbers for residuals after 5 years. of course after 5 years, the $150k motor is out of warranty as are many other expensive tough to get parts.
Ben - standard 4 yr warranty?
Old 01-06-2005, 08:58 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rasta
Ben - standard 4 yr warranty?
standard 4 yr/50k bumper to bumper pcar warranty.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Sobe
Pro

standard 4 yr/50k bumper to bumper pcar warranty.
Amazing drive a race car for 50k miles till the wheels fall off and have everything covered under warranty .
Old 01-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any reason why the CGT wouldn't qualify for Porsche's certified pre-owned extended warranty?

Greg A
Old 01-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What comes after the CGT ?

How about this!!
Old 01-10-2005, 08:38 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a summer issue of either AutoCar or Car they stated that in 2007/8 Porsche will release a car the is based on the GT to compete with the new category that the Gallardo and now 430 compete.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:44 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

There is a possibility of the next 'super Porsche' being a lightweight 998 GT3 RS. I heard a rumour that a normally aspirated 2,500 lbs & 500bhp car is more than just talk. I understand that the 911 development team are now fully at work on the 998, which has a whole bunch of new emission and safety regs to comply with, so there is a good chance Porsche will need a bigger/stronger motor to deal with those as well as see off the 430/Gallardo/Z06/Audi Le Mans-S9 etc.

Thus it's my guess that a lot of the engineering resources will be put into the next 911(998) for the next 3 years or so, after which there'll be time to look at a 'son of CGT', but that's all guess work on my part.

Thanks for that, I'll be very surprised (and happy!) to see them there, but then again it is such an expensive car to repair that it could just fall that hard. Those leases tend to be factored on industry standards, and I think you'd find that they'd give you exactly the same quote for a four year old Enzo. It is all 'standardized' to an ordinary car in ordinary use / mileage, with no way to budget for 'collector value'.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:14 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:

"It's appx $25k, and it's a heck of a lot more for the 997s than $7. I believe the market up is in the 18% neighborhood on all Pcars save for the CGT which Porsche hosed dealers on."

And their customers as well, remember this was to a $375K with world wide production to be around 1000 cars. It's no wonder the market is soft and getting softer. The Dealer's didn't help by adding to the speculation, submitting bogus names and deposits, in the hope of making a kiling.

Karma works after all, and they get what they deserve.

Maybe they should reduce the price to a more realistic level $375K, reduce production, and make a refund to the initial "suckers".
Old 01-14-2005, 02:19 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Colm
Quote:

"It's appx $25k, and it's a heck of a lot more for the 997s than $7. I believe the market up is in the 18% neighborhood on all Pcars save for the CGT which Porsche hosed dealers on."

And their customers as well, remember this was to a $375K with world wide production to be around 1000 cars. It's no wonder the market is soft and getting softer. The Dealer's didn't help by adding to the speculation, submitting bogus names and deposits, in the hope of making a kiling.

Karma works after all, and they get what they deserve.

Maybe they should reduce the price to a more realistic level $375K, reduce production, and make a refund to the initial "suckers".
yeah, while increasing production 50% was a very turdlike thing to do, the price has never changed in euros (the dollar tanked) - though i wouldn't turn down any refunds :-) the bogus names and dealer games is exactly why i doubt seriously they'll make 1500 cause they sure can't sell that many for MSRP (or close) IMO.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:17 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

The "euro strength" issue is a myth, Porsche raised the price because they thought they could. Remember, Porsche is the company that touts their prowess at hedging transactions.

Think Greed, aided by the dealer network (fueled in the dot.com era), and now the chickens are coming home to roost!

Quick Reply: What comes after the CGT