Sponsored by:

the "lightly hit" (er: $150k repair!) CGT is 4 sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 03:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by ben in lj
why, because the guy in the $1/2 mil car in front of him who had JUST taken delivery (less than a mile earlier) stalled it when taking off at the light? i think A LOT of people anticipate once someone in front of them starts taking off from a stoplight. i had one or two of these kind of accidents as a teenager and wasn't on the cell phone. the CGT owner who stalled the car does share some of the blame IMO.
The fault is totally with the driver of the car in the back. No ifs or buts about it. You are correct that many drivers anticipate things about the car in the front... but they are totally wrong. This is a classic "maintain proper distance from the vehicle in front" straight from the driving rules book.

I'm always nervous when stopped at a light and see another car breathing my exhaust fumes - and not only when I drive the stick 11, also when I drive my large auto SUV. It's blatantly stupid what many so-called drivers do on the road and when stopped at a light.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:01 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The fault is totally with the driver of the car in the back. No ifs or buts about it. You are correct that many drivers anticipate things about the car in the front... but they are totally wrong. This is a classic "maintain proper distance from the vehicle in front" straight from the driving rules book.
never underestimate an insurance co (and especially a CA jury) to get to a resolution not as black and white.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

never underestimate an insurance co (and especially a CA jury) to get to a resolution not as black and white.
Nothing surprises me when lawyers and jurys are involved. But that does not change the facts and the rules in the books. Unfortunately, these days, society seems to accept bending/violating rules instead of following them.

I'll tell you what... this country needs a proper driving education campaign and soon. Drivers see themselves as if piloting a video game seated on a couch and that is wrong. The AAA does nothing, but it really should do some serious driving education campaigns. In this country it is not (usually) speed that kills, it is the utter stupidity of drivers doing the most stupid things.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

wait..how do u guys know that this is the 150,000$ repaired car? I don't believe it said so in the ebay page.

For 150,000$ its probably that dark grey one that hopped the curb that needs to be repaired.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I ran a carfax on it and it didn't even mention it had been in a accident.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:02 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
wait..how do u guys know that this is the 150,000$ repaired car? I don't believe it said so in the ebay page.

For 150,000$ its probably that dark grey one that hopped the curb that needs to be repaired.
because i live here and asked them!

as for disclosure in the ebay ad:

"On the first day of ownership, this Carrera GT was lightly hit in the left rear by a Chevrolet Suburban. The car was sent back to Pioneer Centres Porsche for repair. After disassembling the rear for inspection, the technicians discovered that the monocoque structure was NOT damaged and the car did NOT need to be returned to Porsche AG (Germany) for repairs. The car was fixed at Pioneer Centres Porsche. We have the repair bill, photos of the damaged GT, undamaged Suburban and a letter from the Porsche representative stating that the car was returned to "factory new" condition using all genuine Porsche parts"
Old 01-06-2005, 04:03 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan87951
I ran a carfax on it and it didn't even mention it had been in a accident.
carfax is a joke. it's only a starting point but in no way should you ever rely on it alone for fishy stuff and accident history.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=ben in lj]because i live here and asked them![QUOTE]

ah ok, gotcha.
wow...if that was 150k i can't imagine what that other one must cost to fix...geez..the price you pay for perfection in the hand of imperfect beings.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:56 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"I'll tell you what... this country needs a proper driving education campaign and soon. Drivers see themselves as if piloting a video game seated on a couch and that is wrong. The AAA does nothing, but it really should do some serious driving education campaigns. In this country it is not (usually) speed that kills, it is the utter stupidity of drivers doing the most stupid things." A. Dias

Tony, I couldn't agree more with you. It is all about taking responsibility rather than blaming "speed", which is relative. Hope you had a nice holiday.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Sobe
Pro

The more I read about this car the more I think this would be a difficult car to drive on U.S. roads with bad drivers , traffic and speed limits . Now there are 6 of them just on ebay ....... why is this car so available and selling for no more than list compared to car like the Enzo .

Last edited by Sobe; 01-08-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:16 AM
tarpon1
Instructor

perhaps some, (not all) buyers underestimate the power of these cars and/or overestimate their own ability to handle them. i'm sure some buyers with a new influx of cash from whatever windfall immediately go toy shopping, tear the wrapping off and go play without reading the instructions. it would be similar to an intermediate buying top of the line racing skis and heading off to a double black diamond at whistler or ajax and heading downhill because they think the skis will do the work. these cars require respect and training. Carrera GT's, women, weapons...(they must all be handled with caution, for they can hurt you badly).
Old 01-08-2005, 11:45 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sobe
The more I read about this car the more I think this would be a difficult car to drive on U.S. roads with bad drivers , traffic and speed limits . Now there are 6 of them just on ebay ....... why is this car so available and selling for no more than list compared to car like the Enzo .
part of it is porsche is making nearly four times more of them than ferrari is of the enzo. part of it is that porsche didn't come out and firmly commit to "only" 1500 until recently which caused a lot of speculators and legitimate buyers to cancel their orders. part of it is a great # of the early allocations were speculators and pcar dealers who planned to speculate on making large $ over MSRP. when that didn't materialize, they dumped and/or cancelled their orders. i know of a dealer who put up 8 deposits with his own dough and doesn't plan to take any of the 8 cars thereby saying bye bye to his $400k. part of it is that porsches are actually driven (vs. say an enzo which i've only seen driving once in one of the top 5 cities in the country for enzo ownership and that one literally drove four houses down from his, turned around, and put it back in the garage!) and many owners are finding the cgt clutch to be difficult and the ride height to be problematic. part of it is the market is so soft because of many of the reasons above, people don't want to lose 35% of their money in 1 to 2 years ala MSRP buyers of GT2s.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:59 AM
Alienz
Intermediate

why, because the guy in the $1/2 mil car in front of him who had JUST taken delivery (less than a mile earlier) stalled it when taking off at the light? i think A LOT of people anticipate once someone in front of them starts taking off from a stoplight. i had one or two of these kind of accidents as a teenager and wasn't on the cell phone. the CGT owner who stalled the car does share some of the blame IMO.
That's why they should have some kind of training at the dealership before they give the car to the customer. From what I heard the CGT clutch is not easy tog et used to.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:34 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alienz
That's why they should have some kind of training at the dealership before they give the car to the customer. From what I heard the CGT clutch is not easy tog et used to.
it just took me a couple hundred miles and a couple days to stop stalling it. i stopped stalling it after like the 3rd day with the exception of once last thursday (almost a month in between stalls).
Old 01-10-2005, 09:11 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

... with the exception of once last thursday (almost a month in between stalls).
Ben,

That makes it about as easy as my old '99 996C2 cab.

I used to stall it quite a bit while I was getting used to how little power was called up by the accelerator on tip-in.

After I began to use more gas, it decreased to about once per month -- those were mainly because of not remembering which car I was driving.

Quick Reply: the "lightly hit" (er: $150k repair!) CGT is 4 sale