Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 01:00 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
May I suggest something radical?

Is it possible to switch sides of the garage?
Hey Mike.

The other side of the garage is closest to the door into the house making kid and grocery loading much easier for my wife. Also, there is an interior bathroom which shares a wall protruding 4 ft into the garage on her side leaving me less than 16 ft when the garage is closed. Worse still, there would be a lot of grocery, purse, toy, etc traffic if we switched sides! Lastly, the lift was only structurally designed for the right side and all concrete and steel supports (as well as all threads protruding through the garage epoxy) are already in place. It's been at the point of no return for quite some time now.

Hey Nick. Those guys crack me up. I was in second gear (cause I needed to be) within a few feet of the dealership :-)

Yeah Mike, I do remember that (CGT first, then GT3). There was no let down in handling or fun in my mind going to the GT3. BTW, my taxi ride was my buddy's beat up Honda Civic with 150k miles :-) And no, it wasn't Nick's.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:01 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Ben,

Congrats!!! Enjoy it in good health!
Old 12-08-2004, 02:46 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ben in lj
Hey Mike.

The other side of the garage is closest to the door into the house making kid and grocery loading much easier for my wife.
Ben,

That's exactly why I called it "radical".

Works the same way at my house, too
Old 12-08-2004, 03:16 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ben in lj
hey mike. the driveway isn't a problem. getting it into the garage on the cayenne side (lift side - my side) is. the driveway slops down away from street level to the drain in front of the garage and then slops up from the drain creating a "V" (much more pronounced on the lift side than the side the CGT is on in the picture).
OK, Ben, since trading sides of the garage is "beyond the point of no return", what about a little add-on to the driveway structure?

How about a "bridging device" OF SOME SORT? Say a steel plate, perforated for rain ingress, that can cover the "v-problem" and make it really FLAT in that area of approach. I'll bet you could get a steel fabricator to make one from some drawings (PE suggested) for a few thou'. Some big, flush anchor bolts into the driveway would keep it in place really nicely.

Maybe some other kind of "flattening device" could be thought up to cover this problem for you.

If it was made out of some structural grade stainless, it wouldn't even get rusty looking. Hot-dip galvanizing would work, too, although it might look a little industrial until it weathered a little bit.

What do y'all think?
Old 12-08-2004, 04:17 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by W8MM
OK, Ben, since trading sides of the garage is "beyond the point of no return", what about a little add-on to the driveway structure?

How about a "bridging device" OF SOME SORT? Say a steel plate, perforated for rain ingress, that can cover the "v-problem" and make it really FLAT in that area of approach. I'll bet you could get a steel fabricator to make one from some drawings (PE suggested) for a few thou'. Some big, flush anchor bolts into the driveway would keep it in place really nicely.

Maybe some other kind of "flattening device" could be thought up to cover this problem for you.

If it was made out of some structural grade stainless, it wouldn't even get rusty looking. Hot-dip galvanizing would work, too, although it might look a little industrial until it weathered a little bit.

What do y'all think?
Thanks for the suggestion. However, we went to a lot of trouble and expense to make the house authentic hacienda instead of the macaroni spanish tract stuff they are making today. I think I'd rather deal with the inconvience of rolling out 2X12s everytime I pulled the car in and out. Also, I "think" it will be ok when and if Porsche ever delivers on their promised push rod modification kit for raising the car a 1/2" without affecting aero performance.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Looks great Ben. Any pictures of the CGT with the top off showing the interior? I was trying to convince my old man to go with the same seal/ascot combo.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:51 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg A
Hey Nick,

When did you get the official title? Did you ride in Ben's CGT yet?

Greg A
I just noticed. Some magnanimous poster tried to embarrass me because I was not a paying member. He offered to pay for me and I gladly accepted.

I have not taken a ride yet but he and I spent a couple of hours in one driving through the wine country. I think the grapes on the vine prematurely ripened as we roared by.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:20 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Nick. Congrats on the title. I remember you and Ben drove Larry's former car. I had mentioned it on another thread, but at that time, I thought it belonged to someone else. Anyway, I wanted to know if you had been for a ride in it to hear your thoughts on how it compared to Larry's car over the bumps.

Greg A
Old 12-08-2004, 08:26 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sloth
Looks great Ben. Any pictures of the CGT with the top off showing the interior? I was trying to convince my old man to go with the same seal/ascot combo.
Yeah, when it gets out of the clear bra shop, I do plan to take the top off - as it will be most of the time. Worst case, I'm sure people will take (and post) pictures of it on Saturday with the top down at Crystal Cove.

As an aside, I will say I didn't expect to generate all the brake dust with the CGT. Rather, I expected something closer to the Stradale which = no brake dust ever.

And, I'm sure Nick will spend more time in the car than he wants to :-) I can also say that the car doesn't seem to hunt nearly as badly as Larry's did which makes me wonder about his tire pressures, and also gives me hope the lateral hop is non-existent.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:43 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 473 Likes on 317 Posts

WOW, After all that Ben you pulled the trigger, Congrats on your new ride.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:54 PM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ben, please let us know how the CGT compares to the Stradale experience after you've had some time in it. You've said you were hoping there would be some overlap so you could sell the Stradale. I'm in the same position, as you know. -Ray
Old 12-09-2004, 12:04 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray G
Ben, please let us know how the CGT compares to the Stradale experience after you've had some time in it. You've said you were hoping there would be some overlap so you could sell the Stradale. I'm in the same position, as you know. -Ray
Will do Ray. That's definetely on my mind right now and I hope to do some back to back driving. The CS is prettier and better sounding most of the time as well as being much more comfortable to drive. The CGT is just a brute powerwise and the ability to not have all that CS sound "all the time" is nice. The ride height and clutch in the CGT do detract from the CS comparison though I love the manual (after the car is off the line). The CGT draws crowds like flies on s*%t and people chase you down from behind and stick to your butt to get a better look. I'd kind of expected the CGT to have less of the rock star type following than the CS instead of the other way around. I've not gotten a chance to take the top off yet, but fully anticipate this will be another area where the CGT crushes the CS. A small thing is that the CGT produces lotsa brake dust vs. zero for the CS. For some reason I thought the PCCBs were dustless too.

I've only put on 70 miles so far, but when I get it back from the clear bra shop, I do intend to get to know the car well and will pass on any CS/CGT relevant observations as possible.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:32 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Ben. I think the CGT is more exotic looking than the CS, so that is probably why people are trying to look closer at it. I'll bet most people don't know what it is, whereas with the CS, they probably recognize it as a Ferrari.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:13 PM
yongster
Racer

Originally Posted by Ray G
Thanks Ben. I think the CGT is more exotic looking than the CS, so that is probably why people are trying to look closer at it. I'll bet most people don't know what it is, whereas with the CS, they probably recognize it as a Ferrari.
Most people can't tell a CS from a 360. I think alot of people do know a GT when they see it, but it's still a rare sight.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:16 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yongster
Most people can't tell a CS from a 360. I think alot of people do know a GT when they see it, but it's still a rare sight.
nah, you'd be surprised. i got more "what is it"s than i was approached by people who knew what it was.

Quick Reply: it came today