Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Awful navigation system -- any upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 10:02 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Awful navigation system -- any upgrade?

I've been messing with the CGT nav system. I drove today on an 85 mile route which I take often. The stupid nav got lost so many times -- on US and WI state highways, not just back roads! -- that I lost count. It told me go turn right and left and around -- all on a straight road that has been here for at least 30 years!

Does anyone know if there is a software update, or what the latest version is? (Or why Porsche chose such a poor system. My portable Navman 630 does a much superior job -- and has a map, not just a list of incorrect turns.)
Old 11-26-2004, 03:06 PM
ENZO_ETR
Track Day

was it a cloudy day?
Old 11-26-2004, 09:00 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

Blue sky and sunshine. 38 degrees F.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:12 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some cal it german techology
Old 11-27-2004, 02:02 PM
nicoff
Racer

Car manufacturers seem to go the cheap route when it comes to navigation systems. They buy stripped down versions from third parties and having the benefit of a nice fit in the console most people think that they are getting a top notch system. The least manufacturers pay to others, the more money in their pockets.

I have a stand alone Garmin unit that has many more features than the navi system in a 2004 Cayenne. The garmin unit is also MUCH better than the unit in my 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser (same as in the Lexus LX 470). We pay dearly for OEM navi systems that are medicocre at best.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:50 AM
alexpapas
Intermediate

From my POV all I really need to know is how to get to the track and back. Most of my other CGT drives are generally on roads I know, because the ground clearance requires some fore knowledge of the conditions I'm likely to encounter. I'm just happy to have an FM radio that brings in KSLX (great classic rock) in Phoenix.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:14 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get a sexy co-driver, and make sure she knows how to read a map and give pace notes

as for the online pro, yea its basically a traffic pro, and no better than any other becker units.

Quick Reply: Awful navigation system -- any upgrade?