Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the CGT worth getting-trash

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 06:09 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche has never held the demand like a Ferrari. I said a waste, in respect to if i had that kind of money to spend on a car, i feel i can buy something else that would be a greater use of my money than an Enzo. In terms of preference, ide rather have an old Maserati before i drive in an Enzo. It is NOT my styling preference. For a car you cant really use on the street, ide rather not pay the price of an Enzo when theres plenty of other cars that you cant use either that cost less and have more striking stlying. (Pagani for instance...or even a Gallardo)

The CGT may be built in larger numbers, but i still bet you wont be seeing them even semi-regularly. They are building more CGTs than Porsche built other models in the early 90s. You still see those models. How often do you see the CGT ? How often do you see the 959 ? My personal opinion is that it will be held as a Pinnacle of what Porsche is doing right now, and it will be more of a treat to own one compared to a 911. How often do you see a street-legal GT-1 ?

Last edited by Blue S2; 10-14-2004 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:21 PM
tjnif993t
Instructor

I tell you what, I live in upstate ny,with BEAUTIFUL ROADS. Pepacton resivoir,cannonsville,RT 97 Hawks nest, Rt 42 monticello Port jervis ect,ect,ect....!!! I would LOVE to own one of those cars and put it through the paces. Thankfully ( believe it or not) I know all the troopers and treat them "very well" at my restaurant......They would love to participate in some "spirited driving"!!
Old 11-22-2004, 01:20 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
That said, I am NOT sure you will find it as competent on public street and highways. It is a jarring ride, with a finicky clutch and rides very low to the ground. This results in frequent bottoming out unless you are very mindful.
A comment might be that any of us that have 600+ on the Turbo probably are not running standard suspension, standard ride height, and that we have motorsport if not race clutches.

I'm not sure what the main purpose was for this particular CGT would be......but if it woulld see the track........the 1st comment in this thread about the CGT slapping the TT silly in the corners, well......it may slap it, but not 'silly' unless the driver is skilled. A moded 600+ turbo (with AWD) is a formidible track car (ie in the corners) in the hands of a fair DE driver or even club racer.
I understand Walter Rohr can utilize 2 contact patches driving that CGT like I would never be able to .........but I'd personally have doubts whether I could turn better lap times in the CGT (while keeping it out of the kitty litter).

Last edited by GreggT; 11-22-2004 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:34 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GreggT
A comment might be that any of us that have 600+ on the Turbo probably are not running standard suspension, standard ride height, and that we have motorsport if not race clutches.

I'm not sure what the main purpose was for this particular CGT would be......but if it woulld see the track........the 1st comment in this thread about the CGT slapping the TT silly in the corners, well......it may slap it, but not 'silly' unless the driver is skilled. A moded 600+ turbo (with AWD) is a formidible track car (ie in the corners) in the hands of a fair DE driver or even club racer.
I understand Walter Rohr can utilize 2 tire patches driving that CGT like I would never be able to .........but I'd personally have doubts whether I could turn better lap times in the CGT (while keeping it out of the kitty litter).
Sure, but the AWD won't offset the width, rigidity and weight (especially the unsprung) advantages of the CGT. And, if it's any kind of endurance race, the TT will eat more tires and pads (decreasing performance the longer it goes) than the lighter CGT.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:15 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Valid points Ben..........though I still have my doubts ........reminder that the context of comment was level of ability. I've tracked the Turbo three seasons and on my level (2:82.7 Rd America) I'm not going through tires & brakes that bad. I have no problem attributing about 70% of what I do, to the vehical.....bottom line, the car has been a hoot. Far better drivers than I have been behind the wheel and made the comment, she feels like she's on rails.

I'll assume that anyone that would track a CGT, would be a far superior driver ........and the result would be obvious.

Subconsciously, my logic is probably just helping rationalize that another couple hundred $ wouldn't help me get around any quicker (or be more fun).......yeah, right
Old 11-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

...I've tracked the Turbo three seasons and on my level (2:82.7 Rd America)...
What's the laptime?

Greg A
Old 11-22-2004, 02:36 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg A
What's the laptime?

Greg A
My time Road America 14 turns, 4.1 miles.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

My time Road America 14 turns, 4.1 miles.
GreggT,

You misunderstood my question. I know what Road America is. You wrote that your laptime was 2:82.7

I want to know your laptime. I do not think you meant to put 82 seconds there.

Greg A
Old 11-22-2004, 04:16 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry Greg, didn't even notice.........I'm going to check see
what else I've been doing backwards here today ........2:28.7
Old 11-22-2004, 04:26 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Thanks Gregg!

As long as you aren't driving backwards, everything should be OK.

Hopefully at some point next season you can find a definitive answer as to how much faster a CGT would be @ Road America.

Greg A
Old 11-30-2004, 10:28 AM
AsianBond
Rennlist Member

The CGT is a bad purchase.

My reasons why:

It does not look exotic enough to justify over $400k.
Even though it is a great performer, imagine what the new models to be coming down the pipeline will be? They will surely improve upon the CGT.
Thus, the CGT will depreciate quickly because there are so many other choices to buy in used and new market.

If it was priced at $300k then that is more sensible, but at 440k, the initial buyer will definitely get nail for $150k depreciation in first year, because I don't see anyone willing to buy a used one for over $300k.

How many people would buy a USED modern car for over $300k? Only cars would be ferrair f40, f50, or enzo, and they are much more exotic than a CGT.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:50 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

Or maybe a good purchase. It will all be supply, demand and currency valuation. Maybe after all 1500 are built and 500 or 700 are crashed, the remaining will appreciate in 5-10 years. Nobody knows. Just drive and have fun.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:06 PM
DMin
Instructor

In the Porsche Carrera GT book (the one that describes the development and technologies behind the car, and is a thinly veiled advertisement for the car) they note that Porsche classifies the potential buyers of the C-GT into 2 distinct categories.

The first group is made of those people who purchase the car as a rolling work of art, those who appreciate the technologies behind the car and the beaty of the external lines of the car. Those people, obviously, would favor the clean chiseled lines of the porsche with generous resemblance to the Porsche line of cars in general, as opposed to the more outrageous and eye-catching appeal of the Enzo Ferrari and Lamborghini Murcielago and McMerc SLR. Those owners/buyers would most likely garage their cars and take them out every few months at most, satisfied with merely enjoying the car from an observer's standpoint.

The second group of potential buyers is made of those people who demand cutting edge performance and technologies, who appreciate the car most when it is being raced around a track. These people may drive them around the city/country a fair bit, but they live for pushing the car to its limits.

In the history of the automobile, there are very few cars that have actually increased in value over time, particularly when you adjust for inflation. People who are buying these high end cars as an investment with an expected return above what one might get in a mutual fund over the same period of time will indeed be sorely disappointed. I, for one, buy my cars because I enjoy driving them. So far, I have never been disappointed with my choices, and I do not think I'll be disappointed in my choice of the Carrera GT.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:36 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoFastKindaGuy
Or maybe a good purchase. It will all be supply, demand and currency valuation. Maybe after all 1500 are built and 500 or 700 are crashed, the remaining will appreciate in 5-10 years. Nobody knows. Just drive and have fun.
Now that's the attitude I like to hear. If you have the money to have this much fun, why not enjoy it? Buying an exotic and staring at it because it's worth a gagillion bucks isn't fun. Buying one and letting it put a wide grin on your face, while not worrying about it's value, sure is though!

I'd die for a spin around the block in a CGT let alone ownership of one! It's the stuff dreams are made of. Enjoy it
Old 12-03-2004, 09:20 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just curious, what does full coverage insurance usually run for a $500k exotic, such as a cgt, enzo, etc.. for a decent driver? can't be a pretty figure..

also, curious... I read that a replacement engine for an enzo is $200,000, anyone know the replacement cost on a carerra gt engine?

that's where they probably make all their money, on all these replacement parts... $500k for the car, $500k to fix it with new parts when crashed

Quick Reply: Is the CGT worth getting-trash