Sponsored by:

Clutch takeup

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 01:45 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch takeup

Concours Motors in Milwaukee had an open house for the local PCA region to show off their new Carrera GT (black one) this past weekend.
The tech that works on it told me that there is an auto-launch feature that automatically opens the throttle when you let out the clutch from a standstill. It knows the proper amount of throttle and revs to use. If you try and overide it, the ECU shuts the engine down. Has anyone heard of this? Or did I mis-understand what this gizmo is.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Needed
3rd Gear

I have read somewhere (maybe here) that the proper way to launch the GT is with out any revs at all. This would pretty much explain why so many have a hard time launching the car from a stand still. If you try to launch the car with any revs like you stated "the ECU shuts the engine down." Sounds pretty reasonable.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:36 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

You heard is right -- sort of. The engine controller will advance throttle slightly on itss own, if one does not advance the gas peddle. That is how I first learned to drive mine. This technique is easiest in execution; however, one can also feather the clutch and throttle, at the same time, for a faster launch. Either passive (no right foot until rolling) or aggressive (feather, slip, stomp) works for me. Its the "timid middle ground" (i.e. the way most of us learned to drive a stick, day-to-day) that seems to confuse the computer.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:06 PM
DMin
Instructor

gofast-

Given the nature of the clutch, I would assume that trying to get the car moving from a stop on incline (uphill of course) would be difficult and nerve-wracking in traffic. Can you confirm this?

David
Old 11-01-2004, 11:25 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

One gets used to the clutch, but it takes a little time.

Uphill requires coordination of hand brake, clutch and gas. Similar to, but not as easy as other sticks.

Traffic has become a non-issue -- I don't even think about it. Then, I don't commute in Chicago.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:19 AM
gabbagabbahey
Advanced

What kinda reaction do you get driving around? I imagine that is the most nerve wracking aspect.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:17 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

From the clutch or from admirers?
Clutch: I don't even think about it anymore.
Admirers: I allow an extra 15 minutes where ever I go. I need it either to talk to interested people or interested policemen.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:41 PM
alexpapas
Intermediate

I really don't have any issue with the clutch in traffic. I've subconsciously attuned to the amount of throttle required to get moving. To be quite honest, I've never attempted the "no gas" method". I'll try it in the morning.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:40 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFastKindaGuy
... Its the "timid middle ground" (i.e. the way most of us learned to drive a stick, day-to-day) that seems to confuse the computer.
Makes sense actually. Most P-car drivers I see around, do launches w/ high revs. - it may indeed be a learning trait - no wonder they wear out their clutches pretty fast, I hear. I routinely launch my 996 at 700 RPM (iddle) and throtle after engaged. These cars are not dragsters.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:49 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I know none of my cars have been C-GTs, but I get all my cars going by using the clutch to get rolling then gas.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:27 AM
alexpapas
Intermediate

I tried it today and it works. You simply release the clutch smoothly and the CGT starts moving forward. At this point you begin to apply throttle and everything's just fine.

I have personally had no trouble at all driving the car, but a lot of people have complained, so much so that this month's AUTOMOBILE magazine, which names the CGT as the car of the 00's, spends a lot of space talking about how difficult the clutch is! Someone has to set these people straight!

This roll off feature, which I am delighted is real, takes away any criticism of the clutch regarding stalling on take off. I'm sure my kids would have less trouble with this car than they would with any other of my stick shifted cars. My Z8 is simply a smooth BMW and the clutch is progressive, with some real bite at high rev gear shifts, but the old Ferraris are not easy to get moving. The F40 is simply hard work with the turbos coming in at around 3,500 rpm.The CGT is a piece of cake - nothing that a simple demo by the salesman won't fix. (High performance driving school won't hurt either).
Old 11-14-2004, 04:10 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by alexpapas
...This roll off feature, which I am delighted is real, takes away any criticism of the clutch regarding stalling on take off. I'm sure my kids would have less trouble with this car than they would with any other of my stick shifted cars. ...
Interesting assertion... which I actually believe.

As I stated above, a lot of people who think they know how to operate a clutch, but in reality they do not - just observing the average launch at a stop light tells the story. When these guys and their egos sit in a CGT they stall it - sounds reasonable. PAG should have screened their buyers for their clutch experience, or at least teach them - if the buyer's ego would not be on the way.

Quick Reply: Clutch takeup