Sponsored by:

Questions about new C-GT purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 10:21 PM
DMin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about new C-GT purchase

I am considering purchasing a June, 2005 delivery C-GT (my local dealer had a purchaser back out of a pre-sale) and have been skimming websites trying to find out if it would be worth my time. Since it seems a number of current C-GT owners read/post on this website, I thought I'd ask a few questions:

1) Who provides insurance coverage for C-GT's? Obviously, this car most likely won't be underwritten by most standard insurance carriers, and I'd like to find out which companies will.

2) My house has a moderately steep driveway, certainly steep enough that my '04 GT3 scrapes its chin spoiler if I take it too steeply. I can avoid this if I angle it in. However, I know that the C-GT is even lower than a GT3, so I am a little concerned about this issue. Also, since the clutch uptake is so, ermmm, testy, I'd like to know what people think about how difficult it would be to park in my garage given that sort of incline. I have visions of ramming my new C-GT into my house, which obviously makes me want to run to the bathroom and dry-heave.

Thanks.

DMin
Old 10-25-2004, 01:47 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Have you considered exotic/show/classic car insurance? LeLand West comes off the top of my head, there's a few others as well. If you aren't going to be driving the car daily, or putting big miles on it, you may save a whole lot with specialty insurance.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:53 AM
gilwong
Instructor

Hey, if you can afford a Carrera GT couldn't you afford to relandscape and repave your driveway?
Old 10-25-2004, 08:41 AM
DMin
Instructor

Thanks for the tip, Tony.

And gilwong, it's sometimes hard to overcome physics/geometry. Since I live in a hilly part of town, the street outside my house has an incline to it, and the floor of my driveway sits 3-7 feet above the street. Since the length of the driveway must remain static (I can't move either the house or the street) the best I can hope for is a gentle incline from street to house. That still leaves the problem of trying to ease the C-GT uphill and into the garage, and the aforementioned risk of hitting something while feathering the throttle.

Since the lot next to my house is empty, I could always purchase it and build a separate garage I suppose.

D.Min
Old 10-25-2004, 12:07 PM
NO-H2O
Instructor

Hi,
The CGT is not the best car to tackle the steep inclines.. we had to place runner boards along alot of the car park to get it in the garage... just some insight.. call PAG and ask them what the chin cost to replace.. it's around 35K and has a 5 month waiting list... as it's all one large chunk of carbone.
The clutch isn't so bad to work.. it's pretty mild.. it can be modulated fine for slow maneuvering.. it's not as bad as most say it is.. but even if you find it odd at first .. as with anything the more you drive it the better you will become...
I'd for sure try to protect the chin of the bad boy as much as you can...

Eric
Old 10-25-2004, 07:19 PM
AmirGT2
Instructor

Leland West will not insure the CGT. Try State Farm Insurance.

Good Luck,

Amir
Old 10-25-2004, 10:47 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

My State Farm agent said they insure it. The car is like a 110 rating vs. 30 something for our Cayenne Turbo. My guess is $3k ish/year.

As for the driveway incline, it is "impossible" for me to regrade and I too am very skeptical about my ability to even get it in garage much less on my lift.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:09 AM
DMin
Instructor

Thanks for the tips.

I am discussing the insurance issue with my current agent. I have 3 cars with him already through American National (911 GT3, Maserati Spyder, and an H2). If he can't do it I'll check State Farm.

D.Min
Old 10-26-2004, 09:32 AM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

State Farm insures mine. I'm 57 and have a 996TT, Countach, RS6 and S6 insured with them also.

With a 2,000 deductable, it is $820.56 for 6 months. When I take it off the road for the Winter, it is about $230 for the other 6 months.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:36 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoFastKindaGuy
State Farm insures mine. I'm 57 and have a 996TT, Countach, RS6 and S6 insured with them also.

With a 2,000 deductable, it is $820.56 for 6 months. When I take it off the road for the Winter, it is about $230 for the other 6 months.
That seems pretty reasonable. I'm paying around that for my 996TT with lower deductable. I'm 43, clean record, with several other cars on the policy with Allstate.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:51 AM
DMin
Instructor

Well I've decided to go or it and am placing my order for a 6/05 delivery of a C-GT.

I did find out that through Hagerty insurance company, I would have paid $8k a year for insurance, which I thought was pretty fair. I also have a few friends in the insurance business who were able to get me a better quote and now I think I'll be paying $2400 a year.

Now all I need to figure out is my color combination. I am thinking Silver with a Flamenco Red interior. Any other suggestions?

D.Min
Old 10-31-2004, 09:44 AM
Turbo911
Intermediate

I'm 47 with a perfect record.

My first quote from Motorists Mutual was $8000...yeow! They really just didn't want to insure it. I called around and got many quotes in the $2800 - $3200 a year range.

Believe it or not, Farmers finally wrote it for $1600 a year when combined with all of my other cars and homes. They were actually more concerned about my 2001 TT than they were the C-GT. Strange...

The good thing about getting the $8000 C-GT quote is that it caused me to evaluate all of my insurance again. My total insurance bill went from $18000 a year to $7000 a year..cool!

Chuck
Old 11-04-2004, 01:24 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my congratulations to all of you who have purchased a c-gt. you are all driving a true supercar. like all of you, i have noticed that many dealers seem to have one sitting in their showroom, obviously from a cancelled order. i am just wondering if some of you are getting significant discounts from a dealer who is unhappy paying a floor plan monthly loan on a 400k car?
Old 11-04-2004, 12:50 PM
DMin
Instructor

docjackson1-

I signed an agreement with my dealer that the price I will pay will be the average price of the last 10 cars sold on the East coast, the West coast, and the Midwest. They are doing that primarily to avoid people who purchase the car only to resell it for a steep markup online. However, looking at what people are willing to pay at online sites like Dupont Registry and eBay Motors, I figure that I'll be paying MSRP at most (given my June '05 delivery date).

I, for one, am certainly hoping that the car starts to sell for less than MSRP, as that will help me out when I pay for mine.

David
Old 11-04-2004, 04:06 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

I bought mine ar MSRP.

Quick Reply: Questions about new C-GT purchase