Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fun & Games on California's Highways

Hello Californians.

I just got off of the phone with one of California's traffic operations officials. I asked if he had in his possession any "engineering studies" for a particular section of freeway in a portion of this wonderfully enlightened state, he stated he did not. He expanded that by saying that "engineering studies" were not performed for any freeways in California. Of course my next question was " Why not?". To which he replied.....(sit down first)....because if we did, the limit would increase to 75 from 65 on most sections. He also said that the accident rate would .....(don't get up yet)....decrease if the limit was raised to 75. I then asked if he would summarize what he had just said in a letter, and he replied that he would not. (What a shock, eh?! Well I got the Oregon chief traffic engineer to officially record that policy, but not so lucky in California...yet). This gentleman also stated that no engineering studies were performed for rural two lane highways in Califonia on which the limit had (arbitrarily?) been set at 55. When asked if he would put that in a letter also, he declined again. I asked if there was a legal requirement that scientifically based engineering studies be performed to determine speed limits, wouldn't it be in California's interest to comply? He responded by expressing doubt that such legal requirement existed, or that he was unfamiliar with such requirement's existence. Finally, when questioned about statistics showing decreased accident rates and fatalities in countries in which speed limits were non-existent, he responded by saying that California could not be compared to other states or countries. He did not clarify that statement.

Just thought that would put at ease the minds of anyone traveling along one of California's fine highways, whether visitor or resident. I'm reminded of an old
saying which might be modified to suit this situation. "Sleep in a well tonight. Your National Guard is a fake." (No malice intended to members of the National Guard, but you get the idea.)

Not that this is any surprise to anyone familiar with government policies, but anyone care to comment?
Old 10-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Location: Fishers, Indiana (USA) and Barrie, Ontario (Canada)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhhh...government at work.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:29 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty much everything he said is a reiteration of FHSA reports . . . the famous 85th percentile rule and such . . .

Quick Reply: Fun & Games on California's Highways