Sponsored by:

Stone chip protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 06:49 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stone chip protection

Anybody research film for the CGT front vent exhaust area (behind the front wheels and in front of the doors)? I've noticed that area is the first place to collect debris. It seems to be tossed into the gaps behind the front tires where the intercoolers and brakes exhaust.

So far so good, but it is just a matter of time before stones go rattling through there and chip the paint. I can't believe there is no protection.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:04 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFastKindaGuy
Anybody research film for the CGT front vent exhaust area (behind the front wheels and in front of the doors)?

... it is just a matter of time before stones go rattling through there and chip the paint. I can't believe there is no protection.
I asked the PCNA guys about this very thing during my visit to them in Atlanta to see if I fit correctly in the wide-option (+15 mm) seats last Spring.

They said that they were "looking into it". They were considering applying a protective film in that area of the body as part of the port PDI sequence. I have no idea what eventuated with this topic. It was PCNA's idea that North American market CGTs should address this issue. I got the impression that Porsche AG had not considered it necessary, workable, or maybe worth the effort.

You might consider contacting PCNA customer service and launch a mild rant in their direction.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:07 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

Default Thanks. I sent this to PCNA...

Thank you for the suggestion. Here is what I sent...

"Any guidance on stone chip protection in the cooler/brake vent area behind the front tires and in front of the doors on the CGT? That area is in direct receipt of all the road debris tossed off the front tires. There is no protective film; there is no screen. With the evidence of trash that lands on the horizontal sill, it is just a matter of time before something hammers through there and damages the paint. Help, please! I didn't spend a half million bucks to hammer the car with rocks."
Old 09-22-2004, 04:41 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Good work!

Please post any results from your missive.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:02 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

Here was the response:

"Hello

The best person to speak with in regards to this matter would be your local dealer. You can locate your dealer at www.porschedealer.com. Should you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us at 1-800 Porsche.

Kind Regards
The Porsche Response Center Team"
Old 09-28-2004, 07:01 AM
vtgts300kw
Advanced

Originally Posted by GoFastKindaGuy
Here was the response:

"Hello

The best person to speak with in regards to this matter would be your local dealer. You can locate your dealer at www.porschedealer.com. Should you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us at 1-800 Porsche.

Kind Regards
The Porsche Response Center Team"
do they think your an idiot (clearly your not) in saying that you need to locate your dealer ebcause you cant remember who you gave half a million bucks too?
Old 09-28-2004, 07:37 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

That is just "Standard Response #937" or something like that. Hey, they get lots of email from Porsche GT owners. I understand. I really do.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:22 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Clear Armour:
http://www.cleararmorinc.com/

I had this stuff applied to my TT and it works great. They might have a pattern in the works for your car already and if not, it shouldn't be difficult to come up with one quickly.

Cheers,
Old 10-13-2004, 10:05 PM
alexpapas
Intermediate

I'm having the 3M product applied next week. I guess it's hard for PNA to assume responsibility for this add-on, but I'm surprised that the factory didn't factor in the potential damage behind the front wheel.

The local franchisee in Phoenix (Ultra Shield) is mobile and he will come to me and custom cut and apply the protectant to all of the exposed surfaces where rocks and stones will tend to hit or collect, like behind the front wheels and the entire front of the car below the hood cut line. Cost is about $500 per car and it is specifically measured and fitted, and is removable without any damage to the paint. Relative to the investment in the car this is reasonable and better than having to repaint every now and then.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:10 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 78 Posts

we've done a CGT with the 3M clear film. 95% of the car is covered. yes, almost the entire car is covered by the film
Old 10-14-2004, 10:02 AM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

Are there any templates or pre-cut 3M film that I could have applied here in Wisconsin? Or was it all custom? I'm particularly intersted in the three target areas behind the front tire (six if you consider both front tires).
Old 10-14-2004, 11:18 AM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by alexpapas
I'm having the 3M product applied next week.
I'm surprised anyone is still using 3M when Llumar is available. Have you seen the two products side-by-side? The difference is striking. (I'm not affiliated with any of these products, just a customer.)

Gary
Old 10-14-2004, 02:05 PM
alexpapas
Intermediate

Is there a web site for Llumar? any other contact details?
Old 10-14-2004, 05:40 PM
alexpapas
Intermediate

I just checked out the LLUMAR web site and they have no chip protectant products. Their auto products are all window tint films. I think that Gary may be confused as to the thread subject. We're discussing stick-on protectant coating, not window tints. The 3M stuff is almost invisible, but if there's a better product out there for this purpose I'd love the info before I commit to spending a whole bunch of money.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:03 AM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by alexpapas
I just checked out the LLUMAR web site and they have no chip protectant products. Their auto products are all window tint films. I think that Gary may be confused as to the thread subject. We're discussing stick-on protectant coating, not window tints. The 3M stuff is almost invisible, but if there's a better product out there for this purpose I'd love the info before I commit to spending a whole bunch of money.
Nope, I'm not confused. I don't know anything about their website, but I extensively protected my 360 with Llumar protection film, the equivalent of 3M Stonegard. It has worked beautifully, even on the track where I have not supplemented the Llumar with any other protection. When I was parked next to another 360 with 3M last month the owner was ready to rip the 3M off his car and start over, the difference in clarity is that striking. Anyone in Bay Area interested in having it installed, I can give you my installers name, but I have no info as to Llumar's website or anything else.

Gary

Quick Reply: Stone chip protection