Sponsored by:

CGT delivers a spanking to the Enzo on the AMS test at Nardo

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 12:53 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Nick. I didn't call you a poseur but instead refuted that I'm one. Going to the track is not the only way to negate poseur status.

BTW, what happened to you over at Rennteam?
Old 07-16-2004, 01:13 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Ben what happen to me on the Rennteam forum is irrelevant to this thread . Your the one posting some obscure numbers on all Porsche sites to state a case that the CGT is as good as an Enzo.

Look you bought the car; live with it. I am sure you will find someplace to enjoy it. However it certainly will not be in La Jolla or any CA streets/highways; at least I hope not.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:17 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally posted by Nick
BTW enough of the personal attacks.
What personal attack? I was challenging you to back up your claims, albeit with a little attempt at humor.

I find it disingenuous that because I acknowledge that I did not buy my 360 Spider solely for performance or to track it, I am considered a posuer. Yet when Porsche owners buy their cars most who never track the car are considered sport car enthusiast.
When did I say anything about you being a poseur?

Finally, I wrote Enzo owners typically do not track theirs cars and consider it an investment. It is art by that definition.
Yup, ... my comment seems like an accurate paraphrase with some emphasis for clarity.

Be cool, Nick. Everything is gonna be OK.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:00 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

nick, huh?

i asked you about rennteam here because it seems you can't answer me there owing to being banned or something. what were u banned for?

posting obscure #s re: the CGT on porsche boards? the nerve, eh? if i'm to follow your lead, i guess i should be posting the "obscure" numbers illustrating what crap f-cars are relative to p-cars on the ferrari boards?

yeah, i'll live with the cgt alright and love every second driving it like it was meant to be driven.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:01 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not to chime in but, I'd "live" with a CGT and die an happy man. Whom ever is lucky enough to own one of the most amazing supercars of all time (be it an enzo or CGT) they are truly blessed and lucky human beings.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by ben in lj
nick, huh?

yeah, i'll live with the cgt alright and love every second driving it like it was meant to be driven.
For your own and family sake as well as the driving public, I hope not.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:06 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

:Cool: Hey, I've got a neighbor who owns several businesses in town and is currently driving a 2004 Speed Yellow Turbo Cab. (very sweet) and is awaiting the delivery of his Silver CGT in August.

I sure can't wait to see and take a ride (maybe a spin) in that baby!

Ben, you can drive your CGT on my streets anytime! Remember the commercial: "Porsche, Keep America Beutiful"

The Enzo is very pretty but it underperforms and is way overpriced next to the CGT (far superior workmanship) IMHO.

Enjoy!
Old 07-17-2004, 03:20 PM
clouddomino
Instructor

ljugete is right, the enzo is +$300,000 for 13 mph top speed and -1 sec on the track. Dosen't seem to be an "investment" to me. However the enzo is gorgeous, definatly worhtly of supercar status but high seven hundred thousands of $'s not for my money. With an extra two or three hundred thousand the CGT would anhilate the Enzo. So sadly ferrari must catagorize it's most superior production as art.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:29 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"With an extra two or three hundred thousand the CGT would anhilate the Enzo. So sadly ferrari must catagorize it's most superior production as art."

This is fairly typical of Porsche vs. Ferrari. The GT2 will make the 360 CS look like the TT makes the 360 as well. The GT3RS, the real 360 CS competitor, should put a smaking on the CS as well.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:39 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I don't know about you guys but owning either an Enzo or CGT is a waste on most roads. I can't use my turbo to its advantages on public roads never mind a CGT.

My father has a friend who owns an Enzo and finds it virtually impossible to drive on public roads and only tracks the car a few times a year. He says everytime he opens her up someone is cutting him off because they were yapping on the cell phone or couldn't see him coming up past the gigantic SUV.

I personally find the looks of the Enzo to be rather unatractive and for me part of the joy of owning the car is its style. It is very agressive is an amazing car but lacks the style of the older Ferraris. However the car sounds great!!! I hope to get a ride in it soon. Will post my impressions when the day comes.

I was up at Paul Miller Porsche today and had the oportunity to get a first hand viewing and listen to the CGT they have. I must admit it sounded like an F1 car and if based on looks the CGT has it hands down over the Enzo IMO. I have to say seeing it first hand was one thing hearing its engine rev was another.

It was pretty funny the second they started the car the salesman noticed my split second reaction to the sound. By the way Viken you will find this funny (or not, don't mean to go here again but I must) the Porsche salesman of 15 years responded to my reaction to the sound of the CGT and when he asked me what Porsche I owned I told him a 94 Turbo 3.6. His response was as expected "oh, you own a 965" . I quickly corrected him after being corrected myself and he insisted I was wrong.

All in all if you need the speed and have the money why not invest in an old F1 car or Can Am racer. You will get more bang for your buck. The differences between these cars can never be trully tested on public roads. But thats just my $.02
Old 07-21-2004, 11:23 PM
HBacura
Racer

Originally Posted by clouddomino
ljugete is right, the enzo is +$300,000 for 13 mph top speed and -1 sec on the track. Dosen't seem to be an "investment" to me. However the enzo is gorgeous, definatly worhtly of supercar status but high seven hundred thousands of $'s not for my money. With an extra two or three hundred thousand the CGT would anhilate the Enzo. So sadly ferrari must catagorize it's most superior production as art.

That is the same comparing and EVO with 3k worth of mods to a 996 4s. The EVO is more then half the price of the p-car, but spanks it on the track day in and day out.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I don't know about you guys but owning either an Enzo or CGT is a waste on most roads. I can't use my turbo to its advantages on public roads never mind a CGT.
Well written. Each year the roads become more crowded and police employing improved sophisticated speed detection devices. Sport cars are becoming an endanger species. Cars like the Enzo, MB SLR (but less so) and the CGT on a public street is like a Cheetah in a cage.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Mike,
I can't tell you how much I respect the fact your are planning to take your CGT on the track!!
What are your thoughts on the lack of warranty coverage in the event of a possible engine or drivetrain failure? Are you just figuring to assume the risk is worth truly enjoying the car?

Nick,
I agree with you that a CGT on a public street is like a cheetah in a cage.
And whats wrong with a little posing any way. I have 9 muscle cars and with a few all I do is pose. I am not afraid to admit it.

Cobalt,
For a guy who drives a Porsche painted senior citizen blue. I respectfully submit you don't get a vote on the Enzo looks.

ben,
Cool stats. I am surprised the CGT didn't exceed 205 and that the CGT was quicker by a second over the Enzo.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:32 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Les Quam
Mike,
I can't tell you how much I respect the fact your are planning to take your CGT on the track!!
What are your thoughts on the lack of warranty coverage in the event of a possible engine or drivetrain failure? Are you just figuring to assume the risk is worth truly enjoying the car?
Les,

I have always assumed that driving my Carrera GT on the track was an integral part of enjoying it in the manner Porsche designed it.

When I originally decided to purchase a CGT back in 2001, I weighed all the pros and cons of the various ways I had enjoyed automobiles over the years and how those applied to the cars then in my garage. I decided to sell all of my race cars (McLaren BMW 320, Porsche 962, and Porsche 911 RS/IROC) and replace the entire lot of them with the CGT.

In my mind the CGT can do almost everything any one of the previous stable could do, and do it better, or more pleasantly. Of course, most readers will scoff at the idea that the CGT could be more fun than the 962, but that may be because they have never owned a 962. The 962 is not to be driven anywhere except a race track. It has such low ground clearance (1.5" - 2.0") that one cannot even slip a floor jack under the car to exchange wheels. One must use the built-in air jacks (which require a 200 psi regulated air bottle) to do anything concerning tires. Even transporting the 962 to a track was a somewhat complicated exercise because it was too wide to fit on common race car trailers and needed to be hauled on a flat-bed tow truck (or a custom tractor trailer rig).

Also, the 962 is not a neophyte's race car. It has such strong ground-effect aerodynamics that the common solution to poor traction in a corner is to SPEED UP next time around! This may seem somewhat dangerous to those readers familiar with track driving. My pro-racer friends kept begging me NOT to take it to the track for my own self-preservation.

In the end, the 962 wound up its time in my possession as garage art, not a tool for track driving enjoyment. Why? It was too difficult to take it somewhere on short notice (less than several weeks) and it made my wife crazy when I talked about doing it. Did I mention the 962 has the turning radius of a school bus? I almost crashed it in the paddock at Mid-Ohio discovering this!

The CGT, on the other hand, has nearly the same excitement potential as the 962 (with me at the wheel). Plus, it has all the desirable traits of a vehicle with license plates! It would be theoretically possible to drive it to the track, run the whee out of it there, and then drive it home. Just like I used to do with various of my previous Porsche street cars. (I drove the IROC 911 to Watkins Glen, ran it on the track, and drove it home again some years back.)

The CGT is way faster than the IROC car (to which I had gotten very accustomed -- progressively less of a challenge), and is faster and more practical than the McLaren 320 GTU car. I'm confident that I won't miss either of them when the Carrera GT arrives this Spring.

So you see, I'm already used to taking 6-figure cars to the track and dealing with things that might break or fall off in the process. I'm not unduly concerned regarding this one. The CGT is merely my one-car-does-it-all solution to track fun, street fun, as well as a little sub-Nick-level posing. I might even take it to a Porsche club non-track event some time

Think of the Carrera GT as a modern day successor to the 904/906 street/track experience.

Cheers all,
Old 07-29-2004, 10:08 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Les Quam
Cobalt,
For a guy who drives a Porsche painted senior citizen blue. I respectfully submit you don't get a vote on the Enzo looks.
Les,

I thought it was granny blue.

So you are telling me you like the looks of the Enzo. In your opinion is it the best looking car in this group? Seeing both the Enzo and the CGT up close and knowing the added cost of the Enzo, I find the CGT to win hands down. If they only made it in granny blue.

By the way from what I hear the Enzo has been flatbedded to the shop 3 times with less than 3k miles on the car. Doesn't sound like fun to me.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: CGT delivers a spanking to the Enzo on the AMS test at Nardo