Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My local master techs observations after returning from CGT training.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My local master techs observations after returning from CGT training.

My local Porsche master tech just returned from CGT training and needless to say he is now their best salesman. He brought back video and audio.
As soon as I heard the audio of the motor at speed I got back on the list for a CGT. Now I am 06 instead of 05.

However my tech had one serious concern for his customers. He took a tennis ball and rolled it under the CGT and indicated that was about all the ground clearance the car had. He has doubts the car will go up my driveway without scraping the undercarriage.

I was wondering if Labcars or anyone else who has seen the car had the same observations?
Old 05-09-2004, 09:54 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

go here:

http://www.986host.com/gallery/benkea?&page=12 (page 12 last three pics)

and note the pics image 030, 31, & 32. that was one hell of a steep driveway (the car slid all the way down every time with the brakes on - if no brakes i would have rocketed backwards thru my neighbors front door at 30+ mph) the coilover equipped 996 with a mere 4" of ground clearance navigated often (at an angle). the cgt is only a 1/2" lower. as a daily driver, it might get a bit tedius but with 16 cars, i doubt it'll be a daily driver for you :-)

Last edited by ben in lj; 05-09-2004 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Les Quam
Pro

ben in lj,
Am I understanding you correctly that you believe you are going to get a CGT up that driveway? I have read all your posts and it is clear you are highly intelligent but I am in disbelief and think possibly you may be overly optimistic and in a rapture type CGT state? I don't mean any disrespect at all. But my driveway looks like a sheet of glass compared to the Mt. Everest you are looking at.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:11 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Re: My local master techs observations after returning from CGT training.

Originally posted by Les Quam
He took a tennis ball and rolled it under the CGT and indicated that was about all the ground clearance the car had. He has doubts the car will go up my driveway without scraping the undercarriage.
Hey Les,

The CGT has 3.5" of ground clearance.

I was over at my local Porsche dealer getting a CPZ steering wheel retro-fitted to my 2001 996TT. While I was there, I asked Bruce Harnish if he had a tape measure I could use.

After he gave it to me, I walked over to the '03 GT2 he has sitting in the showroom and measured the clearance to the front spoiler.

Guess what? It was .................... 3.5"
Old 05-09-2004, 11:12 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

no, i don't live there anymore, but was just making the point that i had no problem with the 911 in the picture which was only a 1/2" higher than the CGT. further, the 4" i measured on the 911 was from the jack points on the side and since the car was raked toward the front, i bet the front end clearance was no better than the CGT. yet, it was no problem getting it up and down that driveway assuming i took the last part where it meets the street at an angle.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Les Quam
Pro

ben and mike ,
My tech made the same ground clearence tape measurement as you guys did. But what he and some of the other techs in training noticed is that the nose of the CGT extended further out significantly more so than the GT 2. Which means yes the ground clearance was the same but that the nose of the CGT at the training center was getting scraped much more due to it's longitudinal length if that makes any sense. His name is Todd at Gaudin his number is702 682 1111 give him a call for a more intelligent explanation. But he has seen my driveway which is not a difficult one and is worried about it.

I am sorry to always be Mr. negative when it comes to this car. I am getting one too but was told to keep it in my warehouse rather than tear up the carbon fiber. evidently a few have been scraped up pretty badly so far.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:40 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: My local master techs observations after returning from CGT training.

Originally posted by Les Quam
My local Porsche master tech just returned from CGT training and needless to say he is now their best salesman. He brought back video and audio.
As soon as I heard the audio of the motor at speed I got back on the list for a CGT. Now I am 06 instead of 05.

However my tech had one serious concern for his customers. He took a tennis ball and rolled it under the CGT and indicated that was about all the ground clearance the car had. He has doubts the car will go up my driveway without scraping the undercarriage.

I was wondering if Labcars or anyone else who has seen the car had the same observations?
Les, I have the car now for about a month and take it out every chance I get. Originally, I was very concerned about ground clearance, but as Ben notes it is as good as the GT2 and, in fact better than the GT3. There are corners I've taken where my 550 Maranello scrapes and the CGT does not. I wouldn't worry about it at all. BTW, you have got to hear that car at better than 4k RPM's going through a tunnel. If you've ever been to an F1 race, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about!!!!! It is AMAZING!!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Labcars,
It's about time you enlightened us. Thanks for the help.
I can't wait to hear one in person. How many miles do you have on it yet?

Did you read on the other site about my 04 GT 2 adventure and how the ECU was not programmed when it was delivered?
Old 05-10-2004, 08:11 AM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 21 Posts

Les, I'm up to 296miles as of yesterday, but now that my travel schedule is easing.............who knows!

One the street this is one esy car to drive. The sound alone makes every head turn before anyone even sees the car. The car will absolutely NOT sit in your wharehouse, you WILL use it -----and often at that. Most of the griping about this, that, or the other is from those who've never seen, driven, or will ever have the car. You'll love it.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by labcars
One the street this is one esy car to drive. The sound alone makes every head turn before anyone even sees the car. The car will absolutely NOT sit in your wharehouse, you WILL use it -----and often at that. Most of the griping about this, that, or the other is from those who've never seen, driven, or will ever have the car. You'll love it.
There is nothing to dislike about this car... especialy once you have experienced it in person.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche's internal document 'Technik Kompendium' about the CGT says following:

ground clearance:
- CGT: 86 mm (3.38 in)
- GT2: 70 mm (2.75 in)
- Turbo: 90 mm (3.54 in)

'Böschungswinkel' (angle of attack?...):
front/rear:
- CGT: 5.7°/16.2° (yes, sixteen point two, that's no typo)
- GT2: 8.0°/12.5°
- Turbo: 10°/13.5°

So if you can't make it the normal way, just drive backwards!...
Greetings,
--Pierre

PS: Besides that, the front lip can easily be replaced.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

My daily car has 3.5" clearance and i have had a lot of trouble with ramps, driveways, etc... There have been driveways that i would scrape on no matter how slow or angled. Ben, i assume you do not see snow where you are. A driveway like that here in DC in the winter would be called the "slide of doom."

Isnt there some sort of skid plate that can be installed? Ive seen some lamborghinis that even have some sort of support or roller to help negotiate rubbing better. The new ones have suspension that can be raised like the cayenne so you can get the front over stuff. I wonder why Porsche has never utilized something like this on their sport cars.

Quick Reply: My local master techs observations after returning from CGT training.