Sponsored by:

CGT tested in Autoweek

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CF,
Have you had the chance to actually drive a CGT? I would like to hear your thoughts. I don't know anyone who has driven one . Only been for a joyride.

In regard to the GT2 I am a 911 fanatic and sold my 02 GT 2 to get this one because it will be the last North American GT 2 in the 996 model run and the only GT 2 with the different wheeels , reprogrammed ECU, new suspension settings, new dampers, new pistons, new cylinder liners and I forget what else. Also under 20 of these unique GT2s will be sold in NA. Further due to the slow sales and rather tepid reaction I don't believe Porsche will send another GT 2 stateside. Therefore in my humble opinion it will be a unique historical Porsche worthy of keeping in my Garage.

All of which illustrates a point for me, the low volume 996 GT2 of which about 250 will have come to NA will undoubtedly be surpassed by several other performance cars. However the low volume gives it some aspect of rarity and therefore appeals to me more than the 750 CGTs that may come to NA. Further I can foresee losing over 200 grand in depreciation on the CGT if I were to sell it within a few years of it's purchase, caused by high volume and relatively low HP for the half million dollar new car price.

Cf, What exactly don't you like about the handling of the GT 2? I am curious?
Old 04-08-2004, 08:40 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally posted by Les Quam
Cf, What exactly don't you like about the handling of the GT 2? I am curious?
Even the factory test drivers caution that the turbocharged engine makes the GT2 quite tricky to throttle-steer.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Well that may be true, and always these things are ultimately subjective but I really like the GT 2 handling. I know that growing up in karting and racing shifter karts has helped my car control skills dramaticly. I believe very strongly that karting should be a focus of anyone who intends to race or drive high HP cars. I have always believed that the overwhelming majority of race car drivers started out in karts. And I know for a fact most pro's at all levels use karts to stay sharp between races. I don't believe this is a coincidence. My very first impression of the GT 2 was that it felt like a giant shifter kart. Which explains perhaps why I like it so much. And it's OK with me if Porsche builds a car that only a karter would love. In my opinion the GT 2 demands all of a drivers attention all of the time. To me thats the way it should be.

Look guys I admire every aspect of the CGT except the price. Whats not to like? In my opinion it should be 350 grand not 446. I believe that Porsche in it's quest for profit has over priced the car and over built the car. They seem to have forgot in my opinion that all of this CGT technology will trickle down to its model lines for years. It seems to me that they are asking Mike and Ben and all of us to pay for todays cost. How about eating some of today's cost's and lowering the price?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:02 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

In my opinion it should be 350 grand not 446. I believe that Porsche in it's quest for profit has over priced the car and over built the car.
Les,

The price is, and always has been, 390K Euros. Back when I was writing my deposit check that was the equivalent of $300K, or so. The trouble is the currency exchange rates. When Porsche went to the currency speculators to lock in a hedge for 2004-06 delivery of the CGT, the Euro had appreciated a whole bunch. That's why it's $440K instead of $325K to $375K like we thought it was going to be.

You should be pissed at central banks, world politicians, or currency traders, NOT Porsche.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:11 AM
Les Quam
Pro

Mike,
I had no idea that was the cause of the increase. That info does tend to change my perspective.
BTW, what ever happened to your friend the writer who tested the car and told you it ran a 12.20 in the quarter?
Old 04-10-2004, 08:45 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally posted by cf
The instant you drive the CGT will make you put your GT2 up for sale.
I can almost guarantee that.
There is a world of difference.
Don't know if it will make Les sell his GT2, but I just picked up my CGT today and put a quick 100 miles on it. In a word, it is AWESOME!!!!! I can't begin to describe the engine sounds, exhaust note and other mechanical noises. The car is FANTASTIC!! The low mass flywheel makes the sucker spool up incredibly fast and the tires, when warm are amazingly sticky. I loved making that traction control light come on, and pulling away from any stoplight put an incredible smile on my face (once you get used to that fast catch clutch - after stalling once or twice). I know it sounds gratuitious, but the car does seem like a bargain at the price compared to anything else out there!! Man, I can't wait to take her out again!!!!
Old 04-10-2004, 09:42 PM
cf
AutoX

Sounds wonderful.
Please give a more thorough driving report when you have the time.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:47 PM
cf
AutoX

Pictures, please!
Old 04-11-2004, 12:25 AM
Les Quam
Pro

Labcars,
It almost sounds like you had sex with the car after you drove it. You didn't did you?????? Well did you? I can almost hear you groaning from here?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:18 AM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Labcars,
It almost sounds like you had sex with the car after you drove it. You didn't did you?????? Well did you? I can almost hear you groaning from here?
Les, Shhhhh!! I did have to change pants, but I made sure to clean the CGT really, really well! No one would ever know. I'd tell my wife I had cheated on her, but I don't think doing it with inanimate objects qualifies as cheating. The car is awesome, though, and I felt a whole lot better about writting that check after those first 100miles!

If I sell rides at $100/each, how long would it take me to...............
Old 04-11-2004, 11:00 AM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default link to pics

A fellow FerrariChat member took these pics of my car at yesterday's delivery and party. Whatever you do, DO NOT tell the PA DMV folks what my license plate means (yes, I know it's misspelled, but you can only have 7 letters in PA). Enjoy the link, and thanks to Jeff Benson for creating the webpage. BTW, that's not me standing next to car, but Jeff.

http://www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster/CarreraGT/

Old 04-11-2004, 11:06 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

labcars: Nice plate, and car. In FL the application for a personalized plate require an explanation of the request so you might have had more difficulty here.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:16 PM
hyroller
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congratulation !! Great car, and I just love your license plate.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:19 PM
Les Quam
Pro

OK,
I'll admit it, I am a dummy, what does the plate mean?
Old 04-11-2004, 01:43 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK,
I'll admit it, I am a dummy, what does the plate mean?
Les, as I blow by you, I can hear you yelling, "holy S**T, what was that!" Think german for the same word!!!!!

Quick Reply: CGT tested in Autoweek