Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question CGT Testing

Correct me if I'm wrong here -

There is a whole lot new with the Carrera GT supercar - lots of carbon fiber, special metal alloys, ceramic components etc, etc.

Are there not still unresolved issues related to the use of some of these materials in a high performance car?

IMHO this is specifically why Porsche needs a full time racing program to test, refine and retest these concepts and components before putting them in the hands of the buyers of its most expensive street cars.

Were I in the market for such a high end car, which I am not, this would be a concern.

Howard
98 C2 cab tip glacier / white black top
Old 03-09-2004, 03:41 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Afaik, they have all been used before although perhaps not to this extent and in this combination. Which material is causing you concern?
Old 03-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Graham -

I have read letters and artricles in various places about peeling, spalling, failing brake rotors. I have also read of clutch disk failures during downshifts when the components were said to be hot.

Chassis damage requiring shipment back to Germany to repair / replace carbon fiber elements. (A wreck requiring this amount of repair would like be totaled anyway, yes?)

Don't get me wrong I think the car is an amazing piece of technology. Just how livable and at what cost this technology will be in the hands of Porsches most exclusive buyers is yet to be seen.

Surely times and methods have changed significantly in the past few decades with regards to the way cars are designed and tested. To me, the proving grounds for sports cars is the race track. Granted most drivers of the CGT will not be driving under race conditions, but testing and proving concepts and materials there is in my opinion necessary.

Howard

Quick Reply: CGT Testing